|This page is a collection of Tutorials both on and off this Wiki, giving step-by-step guidance on performing various tasks using Audacity.
Audacity Wiki Tutorials
- Setting up Audacity with USB turntables
- Click Removal for removing discrete clicks from vinyl records
- Noise Removal for removing steady noise like hum and hiss from all types of audio
- Sanitising Speech Recordings Taken with portable audio player-recorders
Changing the audio
- Vocal Removal There is no magic bullet to solve what is in theory an insoluble problem. In practice there are various ways to try and trick your ears into thinking you have succeeded.
- How to burn CDs by exporting the correct type of audio file then using burning software
- How to import CDs
iTunes and iPod
- Recording Church Services, and some tips about recording in a church and worship environment.
- Recording Multi-track Overdubs Record one track and then play it and add second and subsequent tracks against it - illustrated examples with specific hardware.
Schools or Colleges
- Audacity for Teachers - Installation and Basic Editing. Targeted at teachers, but applicable to anyone. Includes companion video (screencast).
Legacy Tutorials for old versions of Audacity
These tutorials as for legacy and obsolete versions of Audacity.
Off-site Tutorials on the web
- Peter 17Apr14 later: I went through and noted the dates/versions that these tutorials relate to and added an "alert" warning for readers. Only David Bailes JAWS guide relates to current Audacity.
- Using Audacity 2.0.5 with the JAWS screen reader for Windows - includes useful tips for the visually impaired (and others) who want to use Audacity without a mouse.
|Note that most of the following tutorials were uploaded long ago and relate to old unsupported legacy versions of Audacity.|
Audio File Formats (MP3 and others)
- How to Use iTunes and Audacity to Make Not-LAME MP3s —For the best compatibility with players and web apps, MP3s should be encoded as CBR (constant bitrate), but LAME is terrible at doing so. This episode teaches how to combine iTunes with Audacity to make great CBR MP3s. Audio podcast episode 10 from The Audacity to Podcast.
Note: this tutorial relates to legacy Audacity 1.3 Beta
- How to Make LAME MP3s with Audacity—LAME is the best MP3 encoder only when it's used properly. Learn how to use LAME for VBR (variable bitrate) MP3s. Audio podcast episode 6 from The Audacity to Podcast.
Note: this tutorial relates to legacy Audacity 1.3.12 Beta
- "Master your MP3s with Audacity" - CNET article about editing MP3 files for use in Web publishing, ringtones and podcasts.
Note: this tutorial was last updated on 31January2007 and thus relates to legacy versions of Audacity.
Binaural Beats / Brainwave Entrainment
- Create binaural beats (YouTube video)
Note: this tutorial was last updated on 29August2007 and thus relates to legacy versions of Audacity.
- 60 Second Shakespeare - bbc.co.uk video tutorials about using Audacity to edit the audio for short video or audio interpretations of Shakespeare.
Note: this tutorial was last updated in September 2005 and thus relates to legacy versions of Audacity.
- Computer Voice YouTube tutorial (0:59).
Note: this tutorial was uploaded to YouTube on 15January2013 and thus is probably useful for current Audacity.
- Cyborg voice sound effect tutorial video (0:34).
Note: this tutorial was uploaded to YouTube on 13November2012 and should still be useful for current Audacity.
- Military Radio voice effect video tutorial (0:47).
Note: this tutorial was uploaded to YouTube on 10October2012 and should still be useful for current Audacity.
Note: this tutorial was uploaded in June 2006 and relates to legacy Audacity Beta 1.3.0b.
- Secret Recipe for Great Audio using Chris's Dynamic Compressor to improve audio levels audio podcast.
Note: this tutorial relates to legacy Audacity 1.3 Beta
- Laser Rifle Shot tutorial video (6:26).
Note: this tutorial was uploaded to YouTube on 17January2013 and thus is probably useful for current Audacity.
- Simple Lion Scream sound effect video tutorial (0:55).
Note: this tutorial was uploaded to YouTube on 20December2012 and thus is probably useful for current Audacity.
Note: these tutorials were uploaded on 17April2011 and 2August2008 and thus relate to legacy versions of Audacity.
YouTube has many video tutorials most relate to older legacy versions of Audacity, this is a selection:
- 10 Tips for How to Keep Audacity from Crashing audio podcast.
Note: this tutorial relates to legacy Audacity 1.3.13 Beta and legacy 1.2.6a
- How to use Chains in Audacity to save time audio-editing audio podcast (31:06).
Note: this tutorial relates to legacy Audacity 2.0.1
- How to Use Truncate Silence and Sound Smarter with Audacity audio podcast (57:36).
Note: this tutorial was uploaded on 27February2012 and thus is probably useful for current Audacity.
- How to Apply Special Effects with Audacity or a Mixer audio podcast (49:12).
- How to Insert Background Music or Sound Effects in Audacity audio podcast (53:35).
- Noise removal (40:59).
- 9 Things Audacity Doesn't or Can't Do limitations podcast.
- Create BGM Loops with Audacity - mixing two loops together in Audacity for background music in games
Note: this tutorial was uploaded on 29December2007 and thus relates to legacy versions of Audacity.
- Creating Seamless Ambient Loops - make a seamless loop by cross-fading the beginning into the end
Note: this tutorial was uploaded on 19August2010 and thus relates to legacy versions of Audacity.
- Using Audacity - Tutorial covering most functions of Audacity for creating podcasts. Wiki uses special print functionality which can be used to create nice handout of tutorial.
- The Audacity to Podcast—A how-to podcast about podcasting and using Audacity, with Daniel J. Lewis.
- Create your own podcast - a fine general tutorial on all stages from recording and editing to publishing on the web, again from guidesandtutorials.com
Note: this tutorial and others on the same site relate to legacy versions of Audacity. The site is littered with advertisements and potentially risk "Download" buttons - take care when visiting this site.
Recording Records and Cassettes
- Transferring cassettes to CD - detailed illustrated tutorials using Audacity 1.2 for Mac, but many of the principles are relevant to recent Audacity and iTunes.
Note: this tutorial relates to legacy Audacity 1.2
- How to Improve Your Voice from a Cheap Microphone with Audacity—Learn three easy Audacity tips for making your voice sound better, regardless of what microphone you use. Audio podcast episode 50 from The Audacity to Podcast.
Note: this tutorial was last updated on 19September2011 and thus relates to a legacy version of Audacity.
- How to Record and Mix Multiple Hosts in Audacity (Double-Ender)—Learn how to record multiple people in multiple locations for the highest-quality mix. Audio podcast episode 29 from The Audacity to Podcast.
Note: this tutorial was last updated on 25January2011 and thus relates to a legacy version of Audacity.
- Adjust for Recording Latency in Audacity (YouTube video)
Note: this tutorial was last updated on 11October2007 and thus relates to a legacy version of Audacity.
- How to Make a Bell Ringtone Using Audacity - a wikiHow article on how to create a plain, landline-like ringtone, something many modern phones lack. The article is under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 2.5 license. You can contribute improvements by editing it online.
Note: this tutorial relates to legacy Audacity 1.3.10 Beta
Schools or Colleges
- Audacity Presentation for High School Level.ppt (opens in Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice) or .pdf format.
Note: this tutorial relates a legacy version of Audacity
Note: this tutorial relates to legacy Audacity 1.2.6
- Audacity 1.2 Tutorials from the official Audacity user's manual.
- Audacity 101 slides.pdf - Complete Audacity 1.2.4 tutorial), including illustrations about setting up system sound on Windows and OS X (no Linux).
- How to Record and Edit Audio with Audacity Basic Audacity 1.2 recording and microphone setup for Windows 98 to XP tutorial.
- Introduction to Audacity 1.2.4 including how to connect a guitar
- Noise Removal for Audacity 1.2
- Audacity 1.2 Tutorial by Dan Eliot - learn how to open and edit a WAV file, and save the result as an MP3.
- How to mix a multi-track project in Audacity 1.0 by Daniel James, including sample sound files.
|The following is an automatically generated list in alphabetical order of all articles on this wiki in the category tutorial.|
The following 34 pages are in this category, out of 34 total.