|RM keeps this page up to date during RMing - especially the Timeline. The selected bug progress lists on this page are automatically populated by BugzillaReports
TBA has set TBA as the tentative date for mid term beta
- 6th December 2017 - Release 2.2.1.
- 7th December 2017 - 2.2.2 RM to be decided <--- We are here
- TBA - Mid term Beta
- TBA - Code Freeze
- TBA - 2.2.2 Released
Requests to the RM
This is a place for requests to the RM for this release:
- Please review the Wording page. <--
Planned Release Announcement Text
Audacity 2.2.2 replaces all previous versions.
New and changed in Audacity 2.2.2
W.I.P. Features intended for 2.2.2
- Easy cfg reset
Longstanding Bugs swatted
These are low numbered bugs that were dealt with in this release.
Headline Features (held over)
Take these with a big grain of salt... they could be vapourware.
- Export Multiple - More flexibility in automatic naming.
Operating system support
- TBA if we move past 10.6 on Mac, this will have implications for Mac support
Won't be reported on
These were some pieces of work done that won't be reported on in the release announcement.
- Patches to wxWidgets need to be better documented. What is each patch for? Need to be applied to our GitHub copy of wxWidgets too.
- Update workarounds for wxWidgets page, and track any reports back via wxWidgets Trac.
- Linux ASSERT Issues Not addressed yet to a safe level. We need code to guarantee we are building with patched wxWidgets under linux, I think.
- Pulse Audio issue leads to plan to keep sound card steams open.
- Silent write failure on disk full is reported on Wikipedia and needs to be cleared.
- Build instructions on Wiki must be brought up to date.
So is the Manual Release Ready?
This page lists pages that refer to 'ToDo-1' in the manual.
- Manual team now maintain a div with the manual status on it on the front page.
- Manual team also maintain a Clean-up Plan for dealing with P1s and critical P2s
So is the Code Release Ready?
This query shows us possibly problematic P1 and P2 bugs right now. If there is a P1 in there, the answer is 'NO'. The P2s need closer examination, and RM may decide that one or more of them block release, even at the last moment. The PXs (if any) might possibly be P1s - so we need to know about them.
|ID||P||Status||Summary (20 tasks) ⇒||ID|
|939||P2||NEW||Mac: Clicky playback and recording (both with Soundflower and external devices)||939|
|1462||P2||NEW||Timer Record does not check that there is sufficient space for Export||1462|
|1244||P2||NEW||Windows: VAMP: QM 1.7.1 plugins crash Audacity on opening Plug-in Manager.||1244|
|133||P2||NEW||Enh: Play-at-Speed slider: Change of playback speed is no longer automatic||133|
|1534||P2||NEW||Linux: Malformed tooltips/"Untitled window" in taskbar when clicking or hovering over toolbar sliders||1534|
|1412||P2||NEW||Linux: ASSERT failure in EndModal(): when closing modeless real/empty "Help on the Internet" pair.||1412|
|665||P2||NEW||Summary: AU and VST crash and hang bugs||665|
|42||P2||NEW||Timer Record occasionally carries on recording past the scheduled end, requiring force quit||42|
|1509||P2||NEW||Linux: ASSERT / possible crash OK'ing Preferences with label track present, project window resized to small width||1509|
|1319||P2||NEW||Windows: Excessive delays repeatedly opening/closing long projects (sometimes)||1319|
|1754||P2||NEW||(Mac) Equalization: "Telephone" curve displays a flat line, no sound on Preview||1754|
|1355||P2||NEW||"Other uncompressed files" does not (visually) update target file extension according to the chosen "Header" type||1355|
|276||P2||NEW||Linux: PULSE-AUDIO issues. Freeze repeatedly starting/stopping streams.||276|
|33||P2||REOPENED||Summary: Accessibility issues||33|
|1329||P2||REOPENED||(OS X) ENTER does not close/apply effects unless user has turned on Full Keyboard Access||1329|
|218||P2||REOPENED||Windows: Excessive delays fitting long projects to window, and progress dialog whited out after import or effect.||218|
|1432||P2||REOPENED||Mac: Undocking Toolbars removes track focus, and drag or resize of undocked toolbars removes the control's focus border||1432|
|1183||P2||REOPENED||Linux: Spectrograms settings too tall for netbook screens and high dpi monitors||1183|
|139||P2||REOPENED||Summary: Mac Accessibility Issues||139|
|1416||P2||REOPENED||Linux: Clicking in Timeline or Scrub bar removes focus||1416|
These are bugs the RM is paying particular attention to that usually are not in the list above.
|ID||P||Status||Summary (3 tasks) ⇒||ID|
|1244||P2||NEW||Windows: VAMP: QM 1.7.1 plugins crash Audacity on opening Plug-in Manager.||1244|
|1119||P3||REOPENED||Mac: Window menu's list of open windows not available||1119|
|1776||P4||NEW||Side by Side errors||1776|
Bugs Addressed in this Release
There are lots of tables here with information about work done on bugs for this version.
These bugs and fixes probably won't be reported on individually. However we should report on the P2s that we have fixed and summarise the general trend.
Updated in this Release
These are bugs which we knew about before we started on this version, and have updated, and that are now DEVEL-FIXED or better. Often that will mean we DEVEL-FIXed them for this release.
|ID||P||Status||Resolution||Summary (2 tasks) ⇒||ID|
|1554||P3||DEVEL - FIX MADE||Toolbars: open undocked if previously not shown, unless Reset Toolbars first||1554|
|963||P4||DEVEL - FIX MADE||Control value may be out of range when using FloatingPointValidator||963|
These are also bugs which we knew about before we started work on this version, and have updated, and that are currently in REOPENED state. Often that will mean that we REOPENED them for this release.
Quick-Fix attempted for this version
These are bugs which we learned about during work on this version, and have attempted to fix. See status to see if we were successful.
Quick-Fixed in this version
NEW in this version
These are new bugs which we learned about during work on this version.
|ID||P||Status||Summary (2 tasks) ⇒||ID|
|1799||P4||NEW||Un-muting with a single track unnecessarily activates the Solo button||1799|
|1800||P4||NEW||Custom shortcuts can be overwritten without warning using Full set or importing shortcuts||1800|
Below the Fold
Notes that are relevant to next release.
WIBN= "Wouldn't It Be Nice".
Developer WIBN lists are list of things they are actively looking at. QA/Support WIBN lists are lists of things they are lobbying for. These are aspirational changes. The closer we get to the planned release date the less likely the ones still listed in this section are to be in.
James' WIBN List
- 276 [P2] Repeatedly start/stopping Pulse Audio. A fix by keeping the audio card open. Also means monitoring persists.
- Diags - Glitch detection (counting) of overruns and underruns.
- Diags - Command line options, and run very simple test, e.g. generate DTMF from Travis build to get us started on automated test.
- Diags - mod-diag as built-in module. Also to help get built-in modules working for other reasons.
- Diags - mod-diag actually with a GUI window so we can see diags and reset them live.
- Diags - Automatically generate screenshot for each effects dialog.
Already seem to be making promises for future versions:
- "We'll look into more unicode use during development"
- PULSE Audio. Starting/Stopping.
- Viktor working on (LADSPA?) percussion/harmonic separation effect.
- Luciano working on spectral colouring.
Enabled / Disabled
This is current status/plan:
- WDM-KS out (considering a module, but not for 2.1.3 needs work on test support)
- MIDI_OUT out.
- Updated PortAudio
Steve's WIBN List
- 683: Excessive amplification causes NaNs.
Buanzo WIBN List
Gale WIBN List
- Option to turn off backwards scrubbing OR a modified click that automatically plays forward from the seek point. This is to reduce un-necessary RSI after seek.
- Some TLC for those who do large amount of daily export and import:
- Bug 550 – Add Directories Preference to export to directory the file came from
- Related to above, easier one-step overwrite of the same file you imported.
- Bug 549 – Add missing export formats to Chains and Chains export format parameters and sample rate
- Bug 551 – Export Multiple: Pass through common metadata to next window
- Support per-track metadata so that if you import multiple files you can export multiple using each file's metadata instead of export all files with only the last file's metadata
- Bug 701 - Embedded album art and lyrics discarded.
Paul/Leland WIBN List
- Enhanced NumericTextControl + Slider combination in ShuttleGUI.
- Punch and roll recording (narrators will love it)
- Fisheye!!! https://github.com/Paul-Licameli/audacity/commit/92f31c681a523fd8a3dae2f0f213e7167faaa671
- Play selected frequencies -- I had this working, as another play button on the Spectral Selection toolbar. Did not share the code yet, it needs merging with more recent sources.
Peter's WIBN list
- Proposal WAV exports to have Format Options It is hard for users to find the "non-standard" WAV exports such as 24-bit and other more obscure WAV exports
- Proposal Improvements to Export progress dialogs Because we use a common dialog for Export and Export Multiple we should have a form of words that is applicable to both and accurate in both cases
- P2 Bug #1355 - "Other uncompressed files" does not (visually) update target file extension according to the chosen "Header" type
- Bundling LAME
- Bug #1462 Timer Record does not check that there is sufficient space for Export
- Proposal Play at Speed Transcription toolbar speed slider to operate in real time adjusting the playback speed while playing - see P3 Bug #133
- Proposal new Zoom Toolbar: separate off the zoom controls from the Edit Toolbar - and increase zoom functionality P4 Bug #864
- Searchable Manual - this is long overdue
- Proposal: GUI Custom Resets for Toolbar Layouts - GUI mechanism from within Audacity to enable the user to save and restore settings for Toolbar layout
- Proposal Locking and/or Hiding Pan and Gain sliders - to avoid accidental unintended nudges
- Proposal Improvement of Transport Toolbar: clearer indication of active recording state with "glowing" red Record button
- Proposal: Waveform and clip colors: Assign different colors to individual tracks, clips or regions.
- Proposal: Import Appended: Import multiple audio files end-to-end in a single track
- Proposal Unitary Project: To provide a single "container" for Audacity Projects rather than the AUP file and data being separate.
- Configurable Mouse Prefs.
- Leland's analyze effects whilst recording.