From Audacity Wiki
|This page is an overview of the audio plug-in formats supported by Audacity.
Types of plug-in
Audacity can use the following types of plug-in effects:
- LADSPA Plug-ins
- LV2 Plug-ins
- Nyquist Plug-ins
- VAMP Analysis Plug-ins
- VST effect plug-ins (only on Windows and Mac).
- Audio Unit Plug-ins (only on Mac)
How do you add plug-ins to Audacity?
On Windows and Mac, you can put LADSPA, Nyquist and VST plug-ins in the Audacity "Plug-Ins" folder.
- On Windows, the Audacity "Plug-Ins" folder is usually at C:\Program Files\Audacity\Plug-Ins (or C:\Program Files (x86)\Audacity\Plug-Ins on 64-bit computers)
- On Mac, the Audacity plug-ins folder is usually at Mac Hard Disk > Applications > Audacity > plug-ins
Peter 10Jan17: ToDo-1 Mac pathing to be checked once Mac installation methods for 2.1.3 stabilize. Or we could simplify this whole section by simply redirecting the the Manual's installation pages once 2.1.3 is released.
For extra paths from which Audacity can load LADSPA, Nyquist and VST plug-ins, and paths for LV2, VAMP and Audio Unit plug-ins, see the respective links in "Types of plug-in" above.
- On Linux, plug-ins can be added to:
- /usr/local/share/audacity/plug-ins or
Free plug-in downloads
Gale 12Aug14: Add links for LV2 (none working?) and VAMP downloads.
- Audio Units (only on Mac)
- No real-time effects: Audacity cannot yet preview an effect while changing the parameters of the effect. Audacity cannot yet apply effects to audio while it is playing or recording.
- VST instrument (VSTi) plug-ins that generate sound are not supported. 64-bit VST plug-ins are not supported, nor are VST 3 plug-ins.