|Users who want to request new features for Audacity are very welcome to do so on our Feature Requests page. We also have several other pages where you can learn more about feature requests and planning.|
How Features Get Planned
Experience shows that a normal roadmap with dates and planned sequence of version numbers and what they will contain is completely out of the question for Audacity. We don't have a single person running the show. In any case the classic choice:
"Scope, Schedule, Quality - Pick Two"
applies to Audacity. Roadmaps that attempt to control all three are not realistic. Our current choices are to release often to a fixed date chosen in advance (Schedule). We also choose to focus on removing bugs (Quality).
You could argue that there isn't any roadmap for Audacity. Instead different team members may or may not argue here for their views as to how development should happen going forward.
The Release Schedule
- We stopped doing beta releases with 1.3.14 in December 2011. We'd found that releasing betas encouraged us to continue to release betas and not to strive hard enough for a stable release. As a result our release plans (for team) are now only about releasing stable version. We do post snapshots, alphas, of what builds off the GitHub main development branch. These are for testing and not regarded as suitable as official releases.
- To provide experimental work in progress, we now have Preview Versions where an individual is taking responsibility for the quality. These all come with a warning to export audio to wav after recording, since the new features may be unstable.
- 2.0.0 March 2012 to 2.0.6 in September 2014 were stable releases.
- 2.1.0 March 2015 to 2.1.3 in March 2017 were stable releases.
- 2.2.0 was released Nov 2017.
We have a full history of versions on this wiki.
Roadmap according to James
These are James Crook's views...
- Audacity head should be stable/releasable at nearly all times - and in particular should compile on all three platforms. Destabilising changes should be worked on and fixed in a branch first. It's changes outside our control such as being forced to upgrade to wx3 or arrival of Win10, or changes in Mac Sierra that can thwart that goal.
- Aim for relatively frequent releases. If new features aren't ready, we switch them off rather than delay while they are refined.
- Big new features should be in plug-ins. That makes it so much easier to keep Audacity stable. Cleanspeech, Karaoke and Timer record should become Audacity plug-ins.
- Option of help in the preferences dialogs. Ideally context-help taken directly from the manual, but a help button that takes you to the manual is enough as a starter.
- Improvements to scrolling and zooming behaviour for close up work. Our code is fast enough to do an oscilloscope style display on P700+, but for that to work well some changes are needed in how we select audio and how we choose to scroll.
- I'd like to see discontinuous selections implemented. This would be a lot cleaner than 'labelled region' operations. It would also drive the code structure that fixes whitespace versus silence issues.
- Re-organisation of menus. These (in my opinion) have grown to be large and confusing. They are partly to blame for the save-export confusion in many users. Making the options under the menu items more powerful reduces the number of menu items we need. Discussion at Completed Proposal Menu Reorganisation and related sub pages.
- Fix multi-tool mode so that it can drag clips. This got broken by the introduction of multi-clips making multi-tool mode much less useful.
- Enhancement to screenshot tool so as to screen-capture modal dialogs and menus for the manual.
- The over-due TrackPanel refactor. We need to make it easy for plug-ins to plug-in new track types.
Increasing Satisfaction in Participation
- Listen for and invite feedback from new contributors. For example the need for better internal documentation in the code was highlighted by both 2009 GSoC students.
- Get across to new contributors that this is a do-ocracy. In general the person who does the work on something decides how it should be.
- Help people increase their own productivity. Spot cases of people pulling in opposite directions early. Turn queries into FAQs. Turn e-mails into documentation. Turn tests into features. Turn closed bugs into development policies.
We need to look at these... What we do is up for discussion...
- Bug tracking - Bugs are now in Bugzilla, with search page at Bug Lists
- Translation infrastructure.
Roadmap according to Peter Sampson
- Searchable Manual - this is long overdue
- Transcription toolbar speed slider to operate in real time adjusting the playback speed while playing
- Paul's scrubbing engine code should be able to be the core of this
- LAME integration, bundled in Audacity
- Proposal WAV exports to have Format Options It is hard for users to find the "non-standard" WAV exports such as 24-bit and other more obscure WAV exports
- Proposal Improvements to Export progress dialogs Because we use a common dialog for Export and Export Multiple we should have a form of words that is applicable to both and accurate in both cases
- Bug #1462 Timer Record does not check that there is sufficient space for Export
- Proposal new Zoom Toolbar a new Zoom Toolbar with more features, such as zoom presets, and add a zoom maximum >and zoom normal button
- Proposal Play at Speed Transcription toolbar speed slider to operate in real time adjusting the playback speed while playing - see P3 Bug #133
- Proposal: Waveform and clip colors: Assign different colors to individual tracks, clips or regions.
- Proposal: GUI Custom Resets for Toolbar Layouts - GUI mechanism from within Audacity to enable the user to save and restore settings for Toolbar layout
- Proposal Locking and/or Hiding Pan and Gain sliders - to avoid accidental unintended nudges
- Proposal: Import Appended: Import multiple audio files end-to-end in a single track
- Proposal Timer Record Improvements Phase-2 - access to the controls and timer changes while Timer Record is active (recording or waiting)
- Proposal Graphic indicator of optimum recording level on the waveform display improve the User Interface relating to the Metering and Monitoring functionality in Audacity
- Proposal Easy cfg Reset - frequently needed in Forum advice to users
- Proposal DC Offset removal and not Proposal DC Management - usabilty, encourages proper processing order
- Proposal: Improvements to Scrubbing - Phase-3
- Effects Categorization (31 votes) - now that Proposal Binding Effects to Hot-Keys is implemented
- The Multiproject Wormcan I strongly favour option 2: Single recorder/player mode
- Proposal Unitary Project: To provide a single "container" for Audacity Projects rather than the AUP file and data being separate.
Done for 2.2.0
- Revised menu structure from DarkAudacity
- Completed Proposal Help button for Preferences & Effects, Generators and Analyzers a proposal to provide help to users of preferences, effects, generators and analyzers
- Completed Proposal Non-grayed-out editing commands