From Audacity Wiki
|Our Tutorials explain all the steps involved in performing specific common tasks using Audacity.|
|This page is a collection of Tutorials both on and off the Wiki, giving step-by-step guidance on performing common tasks using Audacity. The Tutorials include ringtones, removing vocals, podcasting, creating loops and various others concerned with preparing your work for export to audio files or CDs.|
- 1 Audacity Wiki Tutorials
- 2 Off-site Tutorials on the web
- 2.1 Accessibility
- 2.2 Audacity Beta
- 2.3 Audio File Formats (MP3 and others)
- 2.4 Binaural Beats / Brainwave Entrainment
- 2.5 Editing (General)
- 2.6 Effects
- 2.7 General
- 2.8 Loops
- 2.9 Podcasting Overviews
- 2.10 Recording Records and Cassettes
- 2.11 Recording Voice
- 2.12 Ringtones
- 2.13 Schools or Colleges
- 2.14 Special Purposes
- 2.15 Older tutorials
Audacity Wiki Tutorials
- Audacity for Teachers - Installation and Basic Editing. Targeted at teachers, but applicable to anyone. Includes companion video (screencast).
- Making Ringtones
- Vocal Removal There is no magic bullet to solve what is in theory an insoluble problem. In practice there are various ways to try and trick your ears into thinking you have succeeded.
- Creating a simple voice and music Podcast with Audacity
- Mixing stereo tracks to mono in your Project
- Transferring tapes and records to computer or CD
- Recording audio playing on the computer
- Splitting recordings into separate tracks for export as individual files thence burning to a multi-track CD.
- How to burn CDs by exporting the correct type of audio file then using burning software
- Exporting your Audacity Project into iTunes and iPod
- Recording Church Services, and some tips about recording in a church and worship environment.
- How to import CDs
- How to import files from iTunes
- Audio Restoration
- Sanitising Speech Recordings Taken with portable audio player-recorders
- Click Removal for removing discrete clicks from vinyl records
- Noise Removal for removing steady noise like hum and hiss from all types of audio
Off-site Tutorials on the web
External tutorials marked are available under the Creative Commons Attribution "BY" licence. They may be copied, edited, distributed or displayed (including commercially), if attribution is given to the author. Editing may be done on collaborative editing sites such as Google Docs or Wikimedia Commons. Please add links to any edited documents underneath the link to the original.
- Using Audacity 1.3.13 with the JAWS screen reader for Windows - includes useful tips for the visually impaired (and others) who want to use Audacity without a mouse.
- What’s New in Audacity 1.3.13 (with screenshots)—Hear a complete review of all the new features and bug fixes in Audacity 1.3.13. Audio podcast episode 35 from The Audacity to Podcast.
- What’s New in Audacity 1.3.14—Hear a review of the new features and bug fixes in Audacity 1.3.14. Audio podcast episode 61 from The Audacity to Podcast.
Audio File Formats (MP3 and others)
- How to Use iTunes and Audacity to Make Not-LAME MP3s—For the best compatibility with players and web apps, MP3s should be encoded as CBR (constant bitrate), but LAME is terrible at doing so. This episode teaches how to combine iTunes with Audacity to make great CBR MP3s. Audio podcast episode 10 from The Audacity to Podcast.
- How to Make LAME MP3s with Audacity—LAME is the best MP3 encoder only when it's used properly. Learn how to use LAME for VBR (variable bitrate) MP3s. Audio podcast episode 6 from The Audacity to Podcast.
- "Master your MP3s with Audacity" - CNET article about editing MP3 files for use in Web publishing, ringtones and podcasts.
Binaural Beats / Brainwave Entrainment
- Create binaural beats (YouTube video)
- 60 Second Shakespeare - bbc.co.uk video tutorials about using Audacity to edit the audio for short video or audio interpretations of Shakespeare.
- How to Apply Special Effects with Audacity or a Mixer—Have some fun with a few effects to do crazy things to your audio. Audio podcast episode 34 from The Audacity to Podcast.
- How to Insert Background Music or Sound Effects in Audacity—Using track gain, Auto Duck, Envelope Tool, and fade in or out to adjust the volume of background music or sound effects. Audio podcast episode 23 from The Audacity to Podcast.
- How to Remove Noise with Audacity—tips on noise-removal before and after you record. Audio podcast episode 12 from The Audacity to Podcast.
- Secret Recipe for Great Audio—how to use Chris's Dynamic Compressor in Audacity to get great audio levels. Also listen to Podcasting with Software vs. Hardware Compressors to learn more about audio compression. Audio podcast episodes 5 and 11, respectively, from The Audacity to Podcast.
- Remove center-panned vocals (YouTube video)
- 10 Tips for How to Keep Audacity from Crashing—I have almost never had problems with Audacity, except when I did something stupid. If you’d like similar success, try these tips and share any suggestions and experience you have.. Audio podcast episode 40 from The Audacity to Podcast.
- 9 Things Audacity Doesn't or Can't Do—Audacity, like any program, has its limits. There are workarounds to some of these, or alternatives to others. Audio podcast episode 56 from The Audacity to Podcast.
- Learn Audacity in an Hour - series of short, snappy video tutorials with downloadable AIFF files by Baynard Bailey of Vassar College: covers opening files, editing, using specific effects and exporting
- Create BGM Loops with Audacity - mixing two loops together in Audacity for background music in games
- Creating Seamless Ambient Loops - make a seamless loop by cross-fading the beginning into the end
- Using Audacity - Tutorial covering most functions of Audacity for creating podcasts. Wiki uses special print functionality which can be used to create nice handout of tutorial.
- The Audacity to Podcast—A how-to podcast about podcasting and using Audacity, with Daniel J. Lewis.
- Create your own podcast - a fine general tutorial on all stages from recording and editing to publishing on the web, again from guidesandtutorials.com
- How to Record and Edit a Podcast with Audacity—Learn the basics of recording and editing a podcast episode using Audacity and some optional extra tools. Audio podcast episode 60 from The Audacity to Podcast.
Recording Records and Cassettes
- Transferring cassettes to CD - detailed illustrated tutorials using Audacity 1.2 for Mac, but many of the principles are relevant to recent Audacity and iTunes.
- How to Improve Your Voice from a Cheap Microphone with Audacity—Learn three easy Audacity tips for making your voice sound better, regardless of what microphone you use. Audio podcast episode 50 from The Audacity to Podcast.
- How to Record and Mix Multiple Hosts in Audacity (Double-Ender)—Learn how to record multiple people in multiple locations for the highest-quality mix. Audio podcast episode 29 from The Audacity to Podcast.
- Adjust for Recording Latency in Audacity Beta. (YouTube video)
- How to Record and Edit a Podcast with Audacity—Learn the basics of recording and editing using Audacity and some optional extra tools. Audio podcast episode 60 from The Audacity to Podcast.
- How to Make a Bell Ringtone Using Audacity - a wikiHow article on how to create a plain, landline-like ringtone, something many modern phones lack. The article is under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 2.5 license. You can contribute improvements by editing it online.
Schools or Colleges
- Audacity Presentation for High School Level (PowerPoint file, also openable in OpenOffice.org)
- Audacity 1.2 Tutorials from the official Audacity user's manual.
- "Audacity 101 slides" - PDF tutorial on all aspects of Audacity (1.2.4), including illustrations about setting up system sound on Windows and Macintosh (no Linux).
- How to Record and Edit Audio with Audacity from guidesandtutorials.com. Includes information on microphones and configuring Audacity 1.2 on Windows 98 to XP.
- Introduction to Audacity 1.2.4 including how to connect a guitar
- Audacity 1.2 Tutorial by Dan Eliot - learn how to open and edit a WAV file, and save the result as an MP3.
- How to mix a multi-track project in Audacity 1.0 by Daniel James, including sample sound files.
|The following is an automatically generated list in alphabetical order of all articles on this wiki in the category tutorial.|
The following 4 pages are in this category, out of 4 total.