Completed Proposal Select Track button in TCP
|Proposal pages help us get from feature requests into actual plans. This page is a proposal to add a button to the Track Control Panel to select the entire track.|
Proposal pages are used on an ongoing basis by the Audacity development team and are open to edits from visitors to the wiki. They are a good way to get community feedback on a proposal.
- Note: Proposals for Google Summer of Code projects are significantly different in structure, are submitted via Google's web app and may or may not have a corresponding proposal page.
- Many users are unaware how to use the Track Control Panel to select the whole track
- In fact many users are unaware how to select the whole track (see many Forum posts)
- When the Track Control Panel is minimized or shrunk vertically the "white space" target area for track selection is very small - see Koz' "red square" below
- Lack of adequate visual cue (there is a hovertext tip - but that is inadequate)
- Because the orientation of the Collapse/Expand button black triangle changes, depending on state, it makes descriptions of the safe target area more complex in the documentation.
- The Collapse/Expand button in the Track Control panel is wider than necessary
Add a button for "Select Track" in the Track Control Panel.
- Shrink the Collapse/Expand button (horizontally) to half the width of the Track Control Panel
- That will release enough space to add a button labelled "Select".
Pressing the "Select" button selects the whole track.
Optional Extra: "Select" button is an up/down button to unselect/select the whole track.
- There have been very many posters on the Forum who fail to "discover" whole track selection. Over the years Koz has made many posts in the Forum highlighted with a red-square as the only safe target For whole track selection.
See GUI Examples below.
Previous Feature Requests relating to this proposal
None - curiously. But once folk are taught how to do it, it doesn't bother them any more.