From Audacity Wiki
|This page contains details of Audacity problems that are identified after a version has been released, and so are not included in the "Known Problems" section of the Release Notes for current and Beta versions. This page will be cleared after each release of Audacity, as all issues will by then either be fixed or appear as known problems in the Release Notes for the new version.
|Please do not use this page to report problems you are having with Audacity or suspected bugs, as it will not be regularly checked by the support team. Instead, please see our Reporting Bugs page for advice on how to identify your problem and report it to us if you need to.|
Audacity 1.3.4: Released 13 November 2007 for Windows and Linux only
- When recovering a crashed session which had multiple projects open, more projects are recovered than previously existed, and they all contain the same data from only one of the projects.
- Status: Will be investigated and fixed for 1.3.5 release.
- Pressing Play (but not spacebar) in a second project when another is already playing stops playback of the first project.
- Status: not currently deemed an essential fix and won't hold up 1.3.5 release (though it is a regression on 1.2.6)
- Metadata (ID3 tags etc.) is not imported and exported fully for all file formats supported by Audacity.
- All fields are imported and exported for MP3, as ID3 V2.3 tags. Some tools that don't support ID3 V2.4 tags will see no tags.
- All fields are exported to FLAC files but none are imported to Audacity on Linux (FLAC tags import properly on Windows). Not all players read all the fields properly, especially the Comments field.
- All fields are exported to and imported from Ogg Vorbis files, but not all players read the Vorbis comments fully (VLC seems to only show them in the Advanced display)
- Only a limited range of tags is exported to WAV files, and re-import is patchy. Player support is very patchy, as there is not a single standard for tagging WAV files.
- Status: Above is better than previous releases, so won't hold up 1.3.5 release. Patches to provide full orthogonal tag import and export would be welcomed.
- If ownership of Audacity's temporary directory is changed before running the program, a freeze occurs after stopping recording.
- Status: under investigation
- "Welcome" screen cannot be read by some screen readers, in particular JAWS and NVDA.
- Status: awaiting investigation
- The ability to change ownership of the temporary directory creates a potential security risk that could possibly be exploited by malicious local users via a symlink attack (no testing of such an attack appears to have been done, and theoretically Windows Vista supports symbolic links for both files and directories with the command line utility mklink using an NTFS junction point).
- Status: importance of this threat being evaluated. Noted here as information on this potential risk has been published on the internet in several places
Cleared in CVS
These problems have been cleared in the latest , meaning that if you compile Audacity yourself from that code, these issues should not occur. Where applicable, they will still be present in the released binary versions available on our .
- Opening project files created by Audacity 1.0.0 does not show a strong enough warning that opening the file may corrupt it.
- .mpa files are miss-detected as MPEG4 audio files (AAC) and rejected, when in fact they are normally MPEG 1 audio files, and can be opened using libMAD.
- Export to external program via command line produces no export, nor any error message (regression on 1.3.3).
- Slider jammed on some systems when exporting to WAV/AIFF with Advanced Mixing Options enabled
- Some strings are not translated in the interface, although translations exist in the language files. Note however that Beta versions of Audacity will always have incomplete translations to some extent or another - only stable releases have a "string freeze" and translation cycle.
- Metadata editor only appears of its own accord for the first export.
- Playback of a file restarts if a second file is opened during play.
- Nyquist generate plug-ins (such as Click Track and Pluck) only generate the correct length with a Project Rate of 44100 Hz, with proportionately incorrect results for other rates.
- Links in the Welcome Message and other dialogues such as the LAME download button do not open correctly in many platform / browser combinations.
- The Stereo-To-Mono effect corrupts the Audacity internal project structure, and so results in a crash shortly after it is used.
- Trying to build with MP3 or Ogg importing disabled fails with a compile error. fixes it (thanks to Gentoo) and is now in CVS.
- With foreign languages (at least French and German) selected, MP3 metadata tags for "Artist Name", "Track Title", "Album Title" and "Track Number" are not filled, so not seen by media applications. Instead, duplicated custom tags with these identifiers are created.
- The man page is out of date, and contains several factual errors.