Difference between revisions of "New features in Audacity 3.0.2"
(Version 3.0.1 is primarily a maintenance release for bugfixes.)
m (James moved page New features in Audacity 3.0.1 to New features in Audacity 3.0.2 without leaving a redirect: Updated version number.)
Revision as of 19:23, 9 April 2021
|This page is an overview of prominent new functionality that has been introduced in Audacity 3.0.1
Version 3.0.1 is primarily a maintenance release for bugfixes.
Audacity 3.0.1 is about bugfixes for Audacity 3.0.0. Some bugs which didn't show up in our testing of 3.0.0 became apparent once 3.0.0 was being used by more users. We wanted to fix these and also to get more diagnostic information about what goes wrong when SQLite (the database we use) cannot read or write a file. So we added more informative diagnostics for when there is an error.
One cluster of bugs we fixed relates to Unicode. Unicode is a system for representing many non-English letters and symbols. We, Microsoft and Apple all have made mistakes with Unicode that affected Audacity 3.0.0. One problem we tracked during 3.0.0 turned out to be a Windows update issue with Unicode input, which was resolved by a later Windows update. Disappearing checkmarks in macOS Big Sur release turned out to be a Unicode issue, believed to be in Apple code, which we now work around in 3.0.1. A mistake we made with Unicode prevented Audacity working in Korean and Japanese.
Some of our bug-fixes are small changes in areas where the previous Audacity behaviour was not as we wanted. 3.0.1 may only be a 'point' release, but we think it's one most people using 3.0.0 will want.
Error: Failed to open the project database
There is a mysterious error which only occurs occasionally (and we cannot reproduce it on demand) but is currently leaving us mystified. Usually this seems to occur when you are trying to import an audio file but there may be other use cases. It does not appear to be causing users to experience data loss or damaged projects. It is this bug: Bug 2700 - "Failed to open the project database"
For 3.0.1 we have added a Audacity Forum. The message has been changed to "The project's database failed to reopen"button to this error message so we can hopefully gather more information about this to aid the developers in analyzing the issue. If you do encounter this issue please press the log button to generate the log and send us a copy of the screenshot to the
|This can normally be resolved by simply exiting Audacity, relaunching and then making the required import of an audio file.|
False recovery offered on launch
This is another mysterious issue which only occurs very occasionally and is foxing us.
Sometimes after exiting Audacity without saving the project when offered, on the next relaunch a false recovery can be offered when there is really nothing to be recovered as no crash has occurred to cause this.
This is Bug 2732 Faux recovery offered on launch (very moonphase). If you encounter this and accept this recovery it "recovers" an empty project and no damage is done.
Manage Macros improvements
The Manage Macros dialog has been improved for this release:
- The button has been removed
- It is replaced with a button
- A new button has been added to enable you to save the results of editing a Macro.
- The button is grayed-out until you edit a Macro.
P1 Bugs Fixed
- 2708 Nyquist effects fail silently with One hour plus stereo
- 2706 Win: Vocal Reduction and Isolation most options fail
- 2698 Noise Gate fails silently if "hold" is non-zero
- 2720 Cannot open project that's in a read only folder - error message vague
- 2710 Compressor with audio before T=0 crashes Audacity
- 2703 Mac: EGAT preview dialog is hidden behind the EGAT dialog
- 2707 Opened projects not being removed from "audacity.cfg"
- 2697 Linux: AUP3 projects use incorrect char size on "differently" configured wxWidgets
- 2718 Failed to execute a project file command (on server)
P2 Bugs Fixed
- 2701 Progress dialog interferes with scripting
- 2714 (Japanese & Korean) "Unable to parse project information"
- 2722 Noise Gate fails on a one hour stereo selection
- 2716 Cleared "Recent Files" are restored on next launch
- 2709 Mac: Missing sub-menu check marks in French
- 2696 Metadata Editor: changed size is not remembered/restored on next use
- 2699 Windows: Cannot edit labels with emoji in them correctly
- 2704 Mac: Stop button in EGATs with Preview does nor stop the preview
- 2676 Export: Incorrect handling over 0 dB
- 2694 Coloring of tracks in Mixer Board are awry
- 2692 Mac: VI users get trapped in radio buttons of Keyboard Preferences
P3 Bugs Fixed
- 2723 VST_PATH environment variable fails for non-standard locations
- 2209 Nyquist: Audacity crashes when running seq-write-smf
- 2522 In Macros, Record New Track and Play with a selection do not wait for completion.
- 2672 Plug-ins listed in reverse alphabetic order in Plug-ins Manager
- 2211 Mac: keyboard navigation problem in Libraries preferences dialog
- 2523 Audacity may suggest installing FFmpeg even when FFmpeg is installed
P4 Bugs Fixed
- 2733 Noise Gate 'Level Reduction' has a minimum of -60 dB
- 2726 Enh: Some preference changes are not written until Audacity exits
- 2717 Linux: Internal Error at DBConnection.cpp line 275
- 2721 Allegro (.gro files) cause crash with undo/redo
- 2684 Bitrot for Docimage script
- 2690 Move the actual build information to the top of the build information tab
- 2124 Import>Audio failure error message is misleading
- 2511 Enh: Remove the "Variable Speed: Fast / Standard" option from MP3 dialog
> Audacity Release Notes 3.0.1 - detailed release notes for this release of Audacity