Pending website changes
See also the Website Project for site development, graphic design discussion and big-improvement discussion (on talk page). This page is intended for fixes and corrections. This is for the (new in Nov 2015) Wordpress website at . The P1's etc are only a rough and ready indicator.
- No Download button on the home page that serves the correct download for the detected platform.
- RSS feeds fail W3C validation and show empty due to registered trademark in our site title.
- Page anchors do not take into account the top navbar if present, so load the page somewhere below the intended target.
- No subscribe to announce button. We only give a clunky link to subscribe yourself.
- All 'sponsor us' links lead to the donate page. (they used to be a 404)
- The logo on black does not look as good as on white.
- No Copyright or Privacy links in footer. So our own copyright page http://audacityteam.org/copyright/ is hard to find. If we ever create a copyright FAQ with answers for [email protected] questions, we would link to that FAQ on the copyright page.
- Google+ in footer gets us to the right page, but still needs a header change. (no impact on user)
- No ohloh button in footer. ohloh badge is bad for SEO as it is served very slowly indeed.
- Ads are being experimented with, as a widget.
Broken Internal Links (typically P1)
i.e. links to sites we control
Broken External Links (typically P2)
error Line: 155 http://www.pearson.fr/livre/?GCOI=27440100552400 error Line: 287 http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/resample/ error Line: 290 http://www.twolame.org/ error Line: 147 http://wxwidgets.org/i18n.php error Line: 293 http://www.u-lexnet.info/items/others/UL-TAPPfeature.html error Line: 183 http://www.twistedlincoln.com/shop/catalog/computers
Addressed but needs review....
error Line: 215 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389 redirected to https://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389 error Line: 214 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17791
"See also: Why can't I play MIDI files?"
"How do I import a track from an audio CD?"
which is at
"It is legal to sell Audacity, as long as the seller makes the program and source code available under the GNU General Public License.
Some vendors try to trick customers by selling the software under a different name. If you bought a product and later found out it was Audacity, we encourage you to ask for a refund or file a complaint if you feel you did not get a fair deal. We ask vendors to give proper credit to the Audacity project, and allow users to make an informed choice."
"It is legal to sell Audacity, as long as the seller makes our program and source code available under the GNU General Public License (GPL). It is also legal to sell Audacity under another name, although we strongly discourage this.
Sellers may also offer modified copies of Audacity, as long as they make their modified program and its source code available under the same GPL, and call the program something other than Audacity.
If you have purchased Audacity not knowing that it is free, or purchased a program that you later found out to be Audacity, we encourage you to work with the seller to ask for a refund. You can examine the text of the product listing to see if any guarantee is offered. If you are unable to resolve the issue with the seller, you can usually raise a dispute with the payment service provider (for example, Paypal or your credit card company).
We also encourage you to inform the seller if you have concerns that the source code was not offered with the product or that a copy of the GPL was not included. If they don't respond adequately, you might want to approach their internet registrar, internet service provider or their advertising sources. Practically, there is little the Audacity Team can do to chase GPL violators with our current volunteer resources, except in the case of a seller stealing the Audacity trademark."
Other audacityteam pages
- We now have daily automatically updated doxy files pulled from GitHub repo.
Change needed: Should be completely updated then an automated system put in place to keep it updated.
- RA has suggested our License page:
|needs extending to make it clearer and to discuss examples of good and bad practice. GA suggests the page is already too long and would need summarising somehow with links to more detail.|
- Consider extending FAQs to include more real life how-tos, linked to articles in the Manual or Wiki
We do also retain a link to Older FAQs which sends the reader over to the old website>FAQ. Most, if not all, of that content is duplicated and in some cases bettered in the Manual FAQs. So we should seriously consider removing that link to the old website.
- Peter 03May16 later: ToDo-2 Having thoroughly exmined the FAQs that are on the old website it would appear that they are duplicated and in many cases improved in the Manual>FAQ. Therefore I strongly believe we should remove the OLD FAQs link to the old website from the new webiste. IIRC the old website content was used as the starting point for Manual>FAQ when we undertook a migration from old website to Manual a long time ago.
Fixed Broken Links
error Line: 272 http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UMX49.aspx redirected to http://www.music-group.com/404 error Line: 273 http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UMX61.aspx redirected to http://www.music-group.com/404 error Line: 271 http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UMX25.aspx redirected to http://www.music-group.com/404 error Line: 234 http://www.terratec.net/en/products/DMX_6Fire_USB_2084.html
- No working Donate button. Donate button is now embedded in Donate page but is not using the former key pair encryption.
- Link to announcements list subscription on audacityteam.org was broken after mailman upgrade "Bug in Mailman version 2.1.16".
- About/Credits lacked Robert Hänggi (author of Vocal Reduction and Isolation). Now added there and in "About Audacity" in the app.
- Blanket wrapping of text within words which looks terrible: Believed fixed along the lines of https://wordpress.org/support/topic/turn-off-auto-hyphenation-in-twentytwelve-theme
- The i18ln FAQ only has the questions. Yikes! Will fix by directing to old site. (Nov 2015)
- old.audacityteam.org used for past release announcements is a broken link (until Buanzo does the DNS dance). (Nov 2015)
- Instructions for installing plug-ins still say restart, rather than "use plug-in manager". (Nov 2015)
- All Pages in left sidebar is confusing (harder to find downloads). (Nov 2015)
- Audacity 2.1.1vi for Mac not mentioned (Nov 2015)
- No Translate button (yet) (Nov 2015)
- 2.1.2 announce is out of date. (Nov 2015)
- 2.1.2 download win10 text needs rewrite. (Nov 2015)
- Wordpress doesn't like the download_spacer.png file used in the donwload page. Thinks it's not there. (Nov 2015)
- No cc-by in footer. (Nov 2015)
- Nyquist plug-ins page http://web.audacityteam.org/download/nyquistplugins - main contents moved to Download Nyquist Plug-ins. The main website still hosts the plug-in pages, zip files and MP3 clips. (Jan 2102)
- http://web.audacityteam.org/community/donate moved to its own tab at http://web.audacityteam.org/donate (Jan 2012).
cleared out older entries Nov 2015