Difference between revisions of "Plug-ins"
From Audacity Wiki
m (Text replace - "http://audacity.sourceforge.net" to "http://web.audacityteam.org")
Revision as of 08:11, 19 May 2015
|This page is an overview of the audio plugin formats supported by Audacity.
Types of plugin
Audacity can use the following types of plugin effects:
- LADSPA Plugins
- LV2 Plugins
- Nyquist Plugins
- VAMP Analysis Plugins
- VST effect plugins (only on Windows and Mac).
- Audio Unit Plugins (only on Mac)
How do you add plugins to Audacity?
On Windows and Mac, you can put LADSPA, Nyquist and VST plugins in the Audacity "Plug-Ins" folder.
- On Windows, the Audacity "Plug-Ins" folder is usually at C:\Program Files\Audacity\Plug-Ins (or C:\Program Files (x86)\Audacity\Plug-Ins on 64-bit computers)
- On Mac, the Audacity plugins folder is usually at Mac Hard Disk > Applications > Audacity > plug-ins
For extra paths from which Audacity can load LADSPA, Nyquist and VST plugins, and paths for LV2, VAMP and Audio Unit plugins, see the respective links in "Types of plugin" above.
- On Linux, plugins can be added to:
- /usr/local/share/audacity/plug-ins or
Free plugin downloads
Gale 12Aug14: Add links for LV2 (none working?) and VAMP downloads.
- Audio Units (only on Mac)
- No real-time effects: Audacity cannot yet preview an effect while changing the parameters of the effect. Audacity cannot yet apply effects to audio while it is playing or recording.
- VST instrument (VSTi) plugins that generate sound are not supported. 64-bit VST plugins are not supported, nor are VST 3 plugins.