From Audacity Wiki
Revision as of 12:56, 21 August 2017 by PeterSampson (Text replace - "http://manual.audacityteam.org" to "https://manual.audacityteam.org")
|This page is an overview of the audio plug-in formats supported by Audacity.
Types of plug-in
Audacity can use the following types of plug-in effects:
- LADSPA Plug-ins
- LV2 Plug-ins
- Nyquist Plug-ins
- VAMP Analysis Plug-ins
- VST effect plug-ins (only on Windows and Mac).
- Audio Unit Plug-ins (only on Mac)
How do you add plug-ins to Audacity?
On Windows and Mac, you can put LADSPA, Nyquist and VST plug-ins in the Audacity "Plug-Ins" folder.
- On Windows, the Audacity "Plug-Ins" folder is usually at C:\Program Files\Audacity\Plug-Ins (or C:\Program Files (x86)\Audacity\Plug-Ins on 64-bit computers)
- On Mac, the Audacity plug-ins folder is usually at ~/Library/Application Support/audacity/Plug-Ins
Peter 10Jan17: Mac pathing to be checked once Mac installation methods for 2.1.3 stabilize. Or ToDo-2 we could simplify this whole section by simply redirecting the the Manual's installation pages once 2.1.3 is released.
- Peter 20Mar17: I changed the Mac pathing to agree with the 2.1.3 Manual. Removed the P1 - but left a P2 for potential future simplification.
For extra paths from which Audacity can load LADSPA, Nyquist and VST plug-ins, and paths for LV2, VAMP and Audio Unit plug-ins, see the respective links in "Types of plug-in" above.
- On Linux, plug-ins can be added to:
- /usr/local/share/audacity/plug-ins or
Free plug-in downloads
Gale 12Aug14: Add links for LV2 (none working?) and VAMP downloads.
- Audio Units (only on Mac)
- No real-time effects: Audacity cannot yet preview an effect while changing the parameters of the effect. Audacity cannot yet apply effects to audio while it is playing or recording.
- VST instrument (VSTi) plug-ins that generate sound are not supported. 64-bit VST plug-ins are not supported, nor are VST 3 plug-ins.