Proposal: GUI Custom Resets for Toolbar Layouts
|Proposal pages help us get from feature requests into actual plans. This page is a proposal to provide a GUI mechanism from within Audacity to enable the user to save and restore settings for Toolbar layout and Preferences.|
Proposal pages are used on an ongoing basis by the Audacity development team and are open to edits from visitors to the wiki. They are a good way to get community feedback on a proposal.
- Note: Proposals for Google Summer of Code projects are significantly different in structure, are submitted via Google's web app and may or may not have a corresponding proposal page.
There is no Audacity GUI available way for a user to save/restore their carefully created Audacity settings for Toolbars layouts, their Audacity environment(s).
The only workaround available is for the user to save the audacity.cfg file somewhere on the their file structure. Then subsequently copy this saved audacity.cfg back into the ...\Appdata\Roaming\Audacity folder (Windows file structure, similar exists on macOS and Linux). This may be deemed a little too technical, too inaccessible to many of our users. Furthermore it "restores" more than just the Toolbar layouts it also "restores" the user's Preferences. The other issue with this workaround is that you must close all open Audacity projects before you can copy back your saved audacity.cfg.
This recent Forum posting was the trigger for this proposal.
The only reset currently availble in the GUI is a reset of the Toolbar layout - but that is only to the default settings.
Introduce commands for Save and Restore for Toolbar layouts, to enable the user to create named configurations of Toolbars. A "Factory Settings" for restore to default to be included.
Saved and restored would be the user's Toolbar selections, their settings and their positionings.
- There is no mechanism from within the Audacity GUI to easily restore a user's settings to a know preferred Toolbar selections, settings and positionings. It is all too easy to mess up your Toolbar layouts (or want temporarily to deviate from your normal Toolbar layouts) so a simple straightforward way to achieve reset would be useful.
- P3 Bug #1532 can mess up a user's Toolbar layout.
- There is a bug (as yet unlogged) whereby using the Screenshot Tools forom the Help menu will reset the user's carefully setup toolbar layout back to default layout.
Introduce commands for
- add a command View > Toolbars >Save Layout
- This would pop up a dialog asking the user to name the setting
- IF a name already in use the user would be asked if they want to Replace it
- extend View > Toolbars > Reset Toolbars which would invoke a submenu for restoring factory or user settings.
- Also we would need View > Toolbars > Delete Layout only added to the menu when one or more custom layouts exist
View > Toolbars > Reset to default replaced by
View >Toolbars > Reset > [default / custom1 / another / ...]
where [default /.../...] is an additional menu level (difficult to show in text).
It would be nice if this final menu level was sorted alphanumerically, so then the user could prefix a number to get their favourites at the top. The first item would always be "default".
Previous Feature Requests relating to this proposal
- Global "hide/show toolbars" switch (1 votes) retains the same toolbar positions when unhid - preferably keyboard accessible too.