From Audacity Wiki
Revision as of 16:23, 18 August 2017 by BillWharrie (removing my clip navigation proposal page from this list - page deleted as clip nav has been implemented in 2.2.0)
This page brings together all the current Proposals that are on the Wiki; they are categorized into major sections.
- Roadmap: Team members may or may not argue here for their views as to how development should happen going forward
- Audacity Development Projects : lists development work in progress or planned for Audacity
- Big Architectural Ideas: designing a new architecture for Audacity
- Feature Requests: suggestions for new or enhanced Audacity features. In particular see the Highest Rated section and note that not all of these highest rated feature requests currently have Proposals developed for them.
Low Hanging Fruit
- Proposal Low Hanging Fruit: This is an umbrella proposal gathering together several existing proposals which if tackled could produce huge benefits for our users.
- Proposal Unitary Project : provide a single "container" for Audacity Projects rather than the AUP file and data being separate
- Proposal Effect Menu Categorization : categorize the effect menu into sub-menus
- Proposal Fish Eye: Some method, or maybe a choice of several, for simultaneously looking at the same waveform at different resolutions.
- Proposal: Improvements to Scrubbing - Phase-3 further improve the user interface for Audacity's Scrubbing
- Proposal Label Track Info: display the count of point, region and pre-zero labels in the Label Track Info area.
- Proposal Smart Help : context sensitive help in the preferences panels
- Proposal Improvements to the Manage Effects/Generators/Analyzers GUI - spin off from Bug #1018
- Proposal Stop "Here": provide a graphical method for Stopping with setting cursor at stop point.
- Proposal MultiButtons: We are about to have problems with too many different kinds of button for play.
- Proposal new Zoom Toolbar: separate off the zoom controls from the Edit Toolbar - and increase zoom functionality
- Proposal Graphic indicator of optimum recording level on the waveform display: Many users over-saturate their signal sometimes provoking extended clipping.
- Proposal Improvement of Transport Toolbar: improve the User Interface relating to the indication of the recording state
- Proposal Vertical Scale GUI Improvements : three proposed improvements to the GUI of the Vertical Scale. Each could be tackled individually or as a set
- Proposal Cursor Behaviour Improvements : about the selection cursor and making its behaviour consistent with the selection range
- Proposal New Logo : proposal for a new logo
- Proposal Preferences Reorganisation : a proposal for reorganising the preferences, mainly to save space
- Proposal Smoother Playback Scrolling : making improvements to scrolling while playing back or recording
- Proposal Space Savers : a mix of proposals for saving space in the GUI
- Proposal TrackPanel Evolution : a radical change to the TrackPanel
- Proposal Woozle's Interface Tweaks : a particular user's comments
- Proposal Reorganizing Preferences, Track control menu, and View Settings: Per-track setting of spectrogram parameters, and other related things
- Proposal Waterfall Spectrograms: Spectrogram views with perspective
- Proposal Locking and/or Hiding Pan and Gain sliders - to avoid accidental unintended nudges
- Proposal Monitoring On - Monitoring no longer has to be explicitly turned on.
- Proposal Play at Speed - Real time play at speed, and with a resizable slider.
- Proposal Zoom Context - Zooming that better preserves the context of where the user is actually working.
Effects, Generators and Analyzers
- Proposal Binding Particular Parameters of Effects to Hot-Keys: enable the binding of particular parameters of effects to buttons or keyboard shortcuts
- Proposal: Reserved keys for custom key bindings: reserve a set of special keys/key combinations for a user's custom key bindings
- Proposal Crossfade : a simplified interface for cross-fading from one track to another
- Proposal Import/Export Eq Curves : importable and exportable preset curves for the Equalization effect
- Proposal Normalize & Amplify Consolidation : merge the Amplify and Normalize effects into a single effect
- Proposal Threading and Acceleration: where and how to enable and architect parallel processing
- Proposal Change Speed Enhancements : addition of a time spinner or other interface element to set or indicate the final duration of the selected audio
- Proposal Plot Spectrum Enhancements : enhancing and expanding the functionality of Audacity's Plot Spectrum command
- Proposal Select Then Act : split detection from action in a number of effects
- Proposal Easy cfg Reset : adding a "Reset Preferences" command to Audacity
- Proposal: GUI Custom Resets for Toolbar Layouts GUI available way for a user to save/restore their carefully created Audacity settings for Toolbars layouts
- Proposal Transcription Editor : improve audacity for audio transcription and subtitling
- Proposal: Import Appended Import multiple files end-to-end in a single track
- Proposal: Earlier Disk Over-run Warnings increase Audacity's resilience to situation where disk over-run causes problems
- Proposal Page Tabled Memory and Event Layout : facilitate the environment that would be conducive to both multi-threading and non-destructive processing.
- Timer Record
- Proposal Timer Record Improvements Phase-2: allow access to Audacity's recording controls once a "Timer Record" has been initiated
- Proposal Improvements to the Timer Record time data-entry spinbox controls: improvements to the time data-entry spinbox controls in Timer Record
- Proposal Multi-event Timer Record: add multi-event scheduling to Timer Record
- Proposal Envelope Tool : various improvements to the Envelope Tool
- Proposal Easy Avoid Clipping on many tracks : save users the tedium of changing the levels individually on multiple tracks when their track balance is already satisfactory but shows clipping
- Proposal Label Enhancements : multiple proposals for enhancements to label tracks
- Proposal Nyquist process effects in Chains : adding support for Nyquist effects in Chains
- Proposal Safe Project Overwrite - safely allowing a closed project to be overwritten, using SaveAs
- Proposal Audio Diff : implement comparison of audio data using a variant of the diff algorithm
- Proposal Beat Finder : find periodic beats in a piece of music and show these graphically in a track
- Proposal Source Separation : the opposite of mixing - a feature that will allow parts of a single audio stream to be separated
- Proposal Team Tools: improve tools used by the Audacity team.
- Proposal DC Offset removal : a proposal to rationalize DC management offset removal
- Proposal DC Management : a proposal for automatically removing DC bias
- Proposal Languages Ecosystem : an ecosystem of programs built around Audacity, for language learners
- Proposal Structured Audio : proposal for a structured audio format, primarily for language learners
- Proposal Update Checking : proposal for automatically checking for newer versions of Audacity.
- Proposal General Scripting or Python Integration: Create a new framework for scripting many aspects of Audacity.
- Proposal Single Splash: eliminate most of the dialogs at startup.
- The Multiproject Wormcan: This is a page for working out what multiproject behaviours we want for Audacity.
- Proposal Development of spectral selection and manipulation - discussion paper for the post 2.1.1 development of spectral work
- Completed: Proposal Normalize: rationalize and improve the Normalize effect
- Completed: Proposal User-safe Aliasfiles: making the use of aliased audio files safe in Audacity
- Completed: Proposal Binding Effects to Hot-Keys enable the binding of chosen effects to buttons or keyboard shortcuts
- Completed Proposal Improvement of Meter Toolbar UI : improve the User Interface relating to the Metering and Monitoring functionality
- Completed: Proposal sha.txt: revision number extracted from git then shown in the build info.
- Completed Proposal Timer Record Improvements Phase-1: various usability improvements
- Completed Proposal: Improvements to Scrubbing - Phase-1 clean up the existing user interface for Audacity's Scrubbing
- Completed Proposal: Improvements to Scrubbing - Phase-2 improve the user interface for Audacity's Scrubbing
- Completed Proposal Action edits when in Pause mode: Many users are confused that editing and effects functions are not available while playback is paused.
- Completed Proposal Noise Removal : improving the Audacity Noise Removal effect to a level on par with, or superior to other noise removal applications
- Noise Removal was replaced by Noise Reduction in Audacity 2.1.0
- Proposal Real Time Adjustment : allow changes in audio to be heard immediately as you vary the parameters of an effect.
- Completed Proposal Help button for Preferences & Effects, Generators and Analyzers: Clicking on that button will take the user to the relevant page in the Manual
- Completed Proposal Non-grayed-out editing commands user confusion when their editing commands appear grayed-out and inoperable
- Completed Proposal Spectral Selection: Spectral Selection and Editing
- Completed Proposal New Skins : proposals for new skins which could be implemented when Theming is working properly
Peter 21Jun17: James confirms that all these are superseeded by his Menu changes from DarkAudacity that were ported over and tweaked for Audacity 2.2.0
- Completed Proposal Edit Menu Reorganization: keep the Edit Menu length manageable (maximum 16 rows) while putting all core editing functions in root of menu
- Completed Proposal File Menu Reorganization : reorganize the File menu to provide distinct clarity between Audacity Projects and audio files, separating them in the menu
- Completed Proposal Menu Reorganisation/Layout Ideas : some worked examples
- Completed Proposal Menu Reorganisation/Shortcut Keys : a sorted list of the current (1.3.11 rc1 23 Jan 2010) shortcut keys and items without shortcuts listed
- Completed Proposal Menu Reorganisation : menus have also become rather complex with numerous options, especially when label linking is enabled
- Withdrawn: Proposal Rename "Snap To": rename the "Snap To" function