This list should only be modified by subscribers to Audacity-devel mailing list.
- To understand what this Checklist is for and how it is used, please join that list or read the list archives on sourceforge.
- Following a suggestion by Jeroen, this list has been put on the wiki and the 'Done' items separated from the items that are still to do.
These all for 1.4.0 release. It's likely we'll have a 1.3.4 beta as a 1.4.0 candidate.
To take ownership of an issue, add your initials before it like so:
- [DM] for Dominic Mazzoni
- [LL] for Leland Lucius
- [JC] for James Crook
This is a companion list to the Documentation Checklist
- 1 Essential fixes
- 2 Essential changes
- 3 Essential fixes: Platform Specific
- 4 Essentials: No longer Issues?
- 5 Watching Brief
- 6 Totally unsure...
- 7 Aim to
- 8 Aim to release at same time
- 9 Not aiming to do for 1.4.0
- 10 Essential fixes/changes - Done
- 11 Aim to - Done
- 12 Aim to release at same time - Done
- 13 Not aiming to do for 1.4.0 - Done
Fixes are the top category, since it is difficult to estimate how long bugs will take to fix.
- Fix halving of bitrate for mono MP3 tracks - bugzilla:182.
- Fix snapping on playback region. Region currently lost. Is this still an issue, or is it now 'Watching Brief'?
- [LL] Fix recovery action if project rate not supported by card.
- [LL] Fix lose track selection, but no refresh, when click on track panel background.
- [LL] Fix usability of TimeTextCtrl for screen readers
- [JC] Fix incorrect reporting of information in benchmark dialog.
These are other changes to source code that are deemed 'essential'. We will do all of these for a 1.4.0-pre beta.
- Update mouse preferences panel to show new bindings.
- Ensure ID3 tag dialogue appears of its own accord. It does not currently appear either for first or subsequent MP3 exports of its own accord, and should do so also for FLAC and OGG exports. We still need to discuss what is the most appropriate behaviour e.g. always popup on second export in session?
- [JC] Change dialog when you open a 1.2 project. It shouldn't discourage users from doing it, it should just tell them that this will change the project to a 1.4 project file that can't be opened by 1.2. I aim to do this after LSM 2007. If anyone can do it sooner they're welcome to take it off me.
- [JC] Provide 'Unrecognised Audio File Format' dialog with help-link button for more detail. In progress (Jimmy Johnson's patch)
- [JC] Warn on close-tracks-and-exit, will lose those unsaved tracks. Note currently that 1.3.3 exits without even asking "Save changes?" if there are no open tracks. I aim to do this after LSM 2007. If anyone can do it sooner they're welcome to take it off me.
- [JC] Reduce 'greying out' of effects confusion by select-all-when none for effects. No change for grey-out whilst recording or playback. Consider active-grey for post 1.4
Essential fixes: Platform Specific
I put these in a separate category as we could be 'Windows 1.4 ready' but not 'Mac/Linux 1.4 ready', if these are not cleared.
- [LL] Fix unavailable items in application menu on the Mac. How to reproduce
- [LL] Fix warning dlg if double click MP3 whilst importing MP3 on Mac.
- [LL] Fix random bits of silence during recording. [Linux only?] Progress: Udo has tried smaller blocksize. Can now fault after 4 mins, rather than an hour. Richard trying on Linux boxes with full/fragmented disks.
- Fix Mac CoreAudio crash when input device's sample rate is 44100 and the output device's sample rate is 48000.
- Fix Mac OS X crash on opening 1.2 project files
- Fix Mac OS X crash on recovering files
- Shift-P doesn't open the Panning dialog on the Mac because Pause catches the same key, so we should change that to another key.
- Address Mihail's rtaudio issue (if we don't support it, then update the docs)
- Address Mihail's issue: PA19 uses oss; without load/compile oss support in alsa (snd-pcm-oss), audacity crashes on init PA19.
Essentials: No longer Issues?
- [LL] Fix 'wedge metadata roll-up open - or get Dominic to fine tune'. Leland will disable the roll-up and probably add a scroller to cope with the size issue.
- Envelope Handling Fixes: Are these worse than they were in 1.2.5? If not, can we demote them from "essentials" to "aim-to's" so as not to hold up the release?
- Fix Envelope editing, in particular when you split a track that contains envelope edits. Fix bugs where two tracks in a stereo pair can show different envelopes; they should always be the same.
- Fix any sync issues of envelope editing with a stereo pair - the current implementation is prone to error if the tracks are not the same size and don't have synced envelopes to begin with.
- Fix envelope handling when you cut, paste, and join clips. Try to merge envelopes together when you merge two clips together.
- [LL] Metadata Editor does not recognise tags in FLAC and OGG files even if created by Audacity. Crash on FLAC tags not an issue sez Leland.
These once were issues. They seem to have gone, but some problems seem to come and go, so we keep them here to remind ourselves of them....
- Intermittent failure to detect playback and recording clipping noted on Windows XP SP2 machine, currently no longer reproducible (GA to report if recurs)
Probably need discussion on the list before we can release 1.4.
- Remove VST support
- [LL] Move Fx copyright lower (accessibility) (leave for later if others ask about it)
- Is the screenshot menu item to be available in 1.4.0? Present in debug builds, absent in release?
- Fix: Jorge's Mis-selection of sample rate as 'default' when card can't support file's rate. Is this now just a matter of documenting the behaviour? Also is the behaviour under Windows and Linux the same now?
- Fix: Jorge's pop-click on starting Audacity.
- Discuss test harnesses. Possibly write some more test code.
- Springclean docs in root directory, e.g. buglist.txt - delete.
- Ruler to use same units as selected in selection bar.
- Fix: avoid outrageous zoom when vertical sizing.
- Font height correction/adjustment in Label Track for Cyrillic chars.
- Use orange for high-water-bar in sound level meter, not blue.
- [JC] A little more useful diagnostics in the benchmarking dialog, and possibly some instrumentation of the blockfile system.
Aim to release at same time
- The new Nyquist plug ins.
Not aiming to do for 1.4.0
- Theme: Fix: Updating theme causes PortAudio selector drop down in mixer toolbar to disappear.
- Batch: More example chains.
- Batch: Better naming of preference parameters.
- [LL] All keyboard shortcuts changable.
- Radio button for initial language choice.
- Split at labels to do so with end-to-end labels too.
- [LL] All Fx dialogs using ShuttleGui.
- [LL] Greater consistency of '...' in History list.
- Play/rec sync in portaudio v19 for Windows
- Snap-to option that does nearest vertical crossing (left-to-right-rising), enabled by default.
- Max zoom - Ruler/track highlighting out of sync.
- Max zoom - samples starting before left edge of track aren't plotted while samples extending past right edge are.
- Max zoom - possible error while plotting negative values.
- [LL] Mouse cursor doesn't change when it should if keyboard is used.
- Add preference setting for label track font and possibly fonts in general.
- Add FFTW library
- Branches into Plug-Ins?
- [VJ] Port Lyrics Windows from UmixIt custom build.
- [VJ] Port Branding from UmixIt & Thinklabs custom builds.
- [VJ] Port other miscellaneous features from UmixIt & Thinklabs custom builds.
- Idea: display envelope handles linearly, but just implement them exponentially under the hood. That would make the GUI potentially much easier. should never have been in the essentials list.
- DirectSound Gui support.
- Two sample alternative themes. [Themeability prefs will be disabled in stable 1.4 release and release candidate, only available in unstable builds.]
- Labels to move with WaveTrack edits rather than be at fixed times.
- Dominic's pipe-based scripting. [Could lift this into the aim-to list. It depends on status of the code developed so far. We could perhaps use it in test harness, if it is already nearly there.]
- Modeless Fx dialogs. Realtime Fx. [Could not produce stable for 1.4.0 version in the timescale.]
- Vary selection boundaries during loop play, and have sound respond. [This is a small step in real time Fx]
- Rework Fx dialogs to use spin boxes.
- Merging of change-pitch-speed Fx.
- Look at possibility of supporting right-to-left languages in labels
- Provide help-link on prefs panel.
- 'Hidden features' via registry/ini file. Just disable outright for 1.4.0.
- Hide/disable CleanSpeech (contact Lynn?) leave as is for 1.4.0??
- ??Hide/disable FTP (contact Wing Yu?)
- Hide/disable Theme Prefs 'already disabled for 1.4.0'
- ??Hide/disable 'Advanced Mixing' [to be discussed....]??
- [MJS or anybody else] Finish PauseRecOnSilence - pre/post roll would be good.
- Add crossfade when looping to prevent possible clicks/pops.
- Fix cursor problem when clicking on resizer between tracks. Please describe the problem in more detail Add two mono tracks, click within second track to position cursor, click and drag inbetween tracks to resize, release mouse button. First track gains focus causing both tracks to have a cursor drawn.
Essential fixes/changes - Done
- Fix no close button 'X' in title-bar of metadata editor, under Windows XP. [Done]
- Fix selection edge moving when opposite edge dragged past it [Done]
- Fix ruler font size. [Done]
- Fix ruler off-by-a-few pixels...vertical and horizontal rulers. [Done]
- Fix hotkeys not working until you visit the menus. [Done]
- Fix temp-directory used for Theme on Mac AND linux AND PC. [Done]
- Fix metadata editor crash in debug builds. [Done]
- Fix ID3v2 tags so they are readable by all players not just iTunes [Done]
- Fix bug in looped play. [Done]
- Fix Add label adds to first track, not selected track. [Done]
- Fix multi-clip crash. [Done]
- Fix freq-window crash. [Done]
- Fix crash on auto-detection of file format. [Done]
- Fix position playback cursor for transcription toolbar. [Done]
- Fix history-window regression. [Done]
- Fix button release and focus strangeness. [Done]
- Fix button problem when toggling fast. [Done]
- Fix MP3 export to export at project rate. [Done]
- Alert for MP3 invalid bitrate/sample rate combinations. [Done]
- Fix droplists in toolbars not accessible. [Done]
- Fix missing mnemonics. [Done]
- Fix extensions in uppercase not recognised. [Done]
- Fix _()/wxT() combinations leading to only partial i8ln. [Done]
- Fix some cases of ruler-clicking play [Done].
- Fix collision of multi-tool clip drag with (new) play-drag. [Done]
- Fix Flac-import broken on windows by using text mode for files. [Done]
- Fix Import MP3 to respect default sample format rather than always use float. [Done]
- Address Mihail's PA19 wo snd-pcm-os issue and ?????? dev name. [Done. Mihail confirmed]
- Find scenario to reproduce stray dotted vertical line. [Done]
- Fix dotted vertical line. [Done]
- Scrollbars on Linux "randomly" disappear when zooming, adding tracks, ... [Done]
- Fix need Ctrl+Shift_F twice to fit in window. [Done]
- Fix slider has no effect in BassBoost Fx. [Done]
- Fix tools not cycling properly using keyboard. [Done]
- Fix preferences project rate does not affect main project rate. [Done]
- Fix label track - clicking label in label track and then a label in a different label track...first label doesn't get unhighlighted. [Done]
- Fix keyboard prefs on Mac...must click list entries twice...not double click. [Done]
- Fix label track - cutting or copying text within label doesn't get all selected text. [Done]
- Fix label track - history not updated when modifying label...text or time. [Done]
- Address Mihail's dither issue. [Done]
- Fix label track - clicking label in label track does not set previously selected track to unselected...try it with 2 label tracks and 1 wave track. [Done]
- Fix resizing meters on Mac jumps to over-under meters. [Done]
- Fix seek during playback consistently causing track to stop playing before end of track or selection is reached (even occurs with short selections) [Done]
- Fix bugs listed in Audacity/Jaws tutorial [Done]
- Template Feature in Metadata Editor is broken [Done]
- Fix Button order in Click-pop Fx. [Done, I think, at least they are all the same now]
- Fix enable Snap-to, restart Audacity and Snap indication gone, though snap still enabled
- Work out build issues in FileDialog (remove dependence on private wx headers)
- Selection Bar's TimeTextCtrls shouldn't reset to 0 when you change formats.
Aim to - Done
- TimeTextCtrl colours themable - and new defaults. [Done]
- Short version of Transcription Toolbar, with just the playback speed control. [Done]
- Restore split to new track, and smarter re-use of existing tracks with split and duplicate. [Done]
- Fix Tone-gen combo box not accepting clicks (when using ShuttleGui). [Done]
- Generate effects to include 'chirp'. [Done].
- Finish HistoryWindow changes. [Done]
- Playback position dialogs ('[' and ']') to use TimeTextCtrl. [Done]
- TimeTextCtrl accepts mouse-wheel. [Done]
- Cyrilic in Label Track boxes. [Done]
- Re-enabling tooltips on the Mac. [Done]
- Add remaining wxColours to the Themability. [Done, to the extent planned for 1.4]
- Audacity on USB (aka Portable Audacity) - mainly avoid using registry. [Done]
- Select input source on Mac [Done]
- wxListCtrl-version of label track. [Done]
- Make selection bar floating. (using slightly less ambitious variant of trial version) [Done]
- Batch: *chain* configuration NOT in preferences. [Done]
- Batch: Solve Markus' issue. [Done]
- Batch: Stereo and all-export/import-formats supported [Done]
- Batch: Pre-defined chains in a list rather than via buttons [Done]
Aim to release at same time - Done
- Doxygen documentation in place. [Done]
- Separate zip of LADSPA plug ins.
Not aiming to do for 1.4.0 - Done
- GPL appears in a tab in the AboutBox.
- Scroller for LADSPA effects dialogs.
- Reduce area/width of selection bar.
- Portmixer to support multiple hosts (for DirectSound and ALSA). [Done]
- DirectSound playback (lower latency) [Done]