Release Notes 2.2.0
From Audacity Wiki
|Audacity 2.2.0 was released on xx xxxx 2017.
Changes since previous version
See the New Features page in the manual for more information about improvements and other changes.
- Playback of MIDI (and Allegro) files imported into Note Tracks is now available.
- 4x Selectable themes provided, with new 'Light' theme as default, plus option to customize
- Help buttons in Preferences, Effects, Generators and Analyzers - and other places
- Non-Greying out of effects when no selection (and explanatory dialog with help button)
- 'Center' option in Selection Toolbar
- Time Track cut/copy/paste
- Many menu changes:
- Menus Reorganized
- Extended menu bar provided
- New keyboard commands for working with clips
- Stem plots
- Major overhaul to documentation/manual including many new images and streamlined text on landing pages for in-program help.
- New Logo
- Sync-Lock button removed (use menu item or keyboard shortcut instead)
- New preferences and preference pages
- Append-record is now the default (use + Record for old behavior)
- Overhaul of much code, mostly by Paul Licameli:
- Overhaul of clip handling code using newer (safer) idioms
- Overhaul of envelope handling code to deal with some anomalies
- Overhaul of exception handling for greater safety
- Major work on bug fixing. 198 bugs that were in 2.1.3 fixed for 2.2.0.
Audacity is for Windows, Mac and Linux desktop machines. There is no version of Audacity for Android or iPhone.
|Mac OS X:
See our list of issues for much more detail of issues with Audacity 2.2.0.
- Below are listed what we believe are the most common and important issues with 2.2.0 for most users.
- Timer Record may not reliably stop the recording on some machines. The Elapsed and Remaining Time counters may stop counting. In this case it will be necessary to force quit Audacity.
- On a few affected machines, the problem can be avoided if you leave focus on Audacity or ensure it has focus when recording is due to end.
(Linux) PULSE Audio
- PulseAudio is not reliable when used with Audacity on Linux. Playback or recording may freeze, recording dropouts or fast playback may occur when using PulseAudio.
- Freezes may be caused by repeatedly starting and stopping playback or recording in quick succession (or by holding down the Play or Record button).
- Workarounds: Try launching Audacity from the terminal with the pulse latency set to 30 ms in an environment variable:
|env PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=30 audacity|
- If you get underruns noted in the terminal, try a higher number in the PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC command. If the problem is unchanged, try a lower number.
- Alternatively, bypass pulseaudio by setting the playback and recording device to an ALSA (hw) choice in Device Toolbar. More help with this can be found here.
- The timing of notes during MIDI playback may sound erratic on some machines. Optimizing the system for low latency MIDI playback can help to reduce the inaccuracies.
- Far less of Audacity is properly accessible to visually impaired users than we would like. Currently the best supported platform for accessibility is Windows. We lost a lot of custom accessibility programming when we had to move to a more recent version of the wxWidgest library. A lot more detail about accessibility limitations can be found here
We track these and many other bugs in our 'bugzilla' database.
- Click on the bug numbers to see work done on these bugs.
|ID||Summary (3 tasks) ⇒||ID|
|42||Timer Record occasionally carries on recording past the scheduled end, requiring force quit||42|
|1726||Linux: MIDI playback timing / synchronisation problems||1726|
|276||Linux: PULSE-AUDIO issues. Freeze repeatedly starting/stopping streams||276|
This table, which is just for editors, is direct from bugzilla for bugs 33,42,276,1726
|Summary (3 tasks) ⇒||cf_releasenotetext||ID|
|Timer Record occasionally carries on recording past the scheduled end, requiring force quit||GROUP:Timer Record
|Linux: MIDI playback timing / synchronisation problems||GROUP: MIDI
|Linux: PULSE-AUDIO issues. Freeze repeatedly starting/stopping streams||GROUP:Miscellaneous platform-specific issues