Release Notes 2.3.0
|Audacity 2.3.0 was released on 29 September 2018.
Size and Checksums
audacity-win-2.3.0.exe (application/x-msdownload) - 26693160 bytes SHA-256 3909676287cc0c44fe867bcc0e74a23891aeeeda42ebf11b3037c9b28dca43a1 audacity-win-2.3.0.zip (application/x-zip-compressed) - 12899377 bytes SHA-256 f57b4074a544169311830bb428d1d8fefafceb6a3b0680ae23fa1c5321c05835 audacity-macos-2.3.0.dmg (n/a) - 35846075 bytes SHA-256 16684a03a6e6aacac0962636735ce7d9bf11483f6d194b05729981136cced9eb audacity-manual-2.3.0.zip (application/x-zip-compressed) - 20131123 bytes SHA-256 4f48b3e5d8b8573442c087cbf853297cae46ce54754f7485b50e86e0b4326b98
|The 2.3.0 tarball is now marked as 'Experimental'.
After release we found it is not stable, and are investigating.
Bug 1992 is one way to cause the problem.
audacity-minsrc-2.3.0.tar.xz (n/a) - 10431768 bytes SHA-256 bc9c9e3c826e7e9c481ef3adcdf6277836c099ca26c34bd7071d0522917fecd8
Changes and improvements since previous version
Audacity 2.3.0 replaces all previous versions.
- Over 90 bugs fixed since 2.2.2.
- Includes fixes to Timer Record, and to 'Envelope Points'.
- New feature - "Punch and Roll Recording".
- Toolbars controlling volume and speed can now be resized for greater precision.
- Play-at-Speed now can be adjusted whilst playing.
- Macros (formerly 'Chains') substantially extended.
- Pinned-play-head can now be repositioned by dragging.
Full details of new features in the visual guide to New Features in 2.3.0
- Audacity 2.3.0 requires the CPU to support the SSE2 instruction set which should be available on any Intel hardware produced after 2001 and any AMD hardware produced after 2003.
- 2.3.0 does not support Windows XP.
- You may try 2.2.2 on XP, but it is unsupported.
- Audacity 2.3.0 is for Intel Macs running OS X 10.7 and later and macOS.
- There are legacy versions for older OS X at http://audacityteam.org/download/legacy-mac/.
- Linux support is tested on Ubuntu Linux.
- Audacity may compile on Gentoo, Debian, Mint.
- Audacity does not currently compile on SuSE Linux.
Interactive Buglist Page
We probably track more bugs than you are interested in...
On the dynamic buglist page you can select to view:
- Complete list of bugs in 2.2.2 that we have fixed for 2.3.0
- Known bugs on the OS you use Mac, Windows or Linux.
- Known bugs to do with accessibility or localization.
- Workarounds for some bugs.
- Serious bugs and less serious bugs.
You can choose various combinations of these. However, there are probably too many minor bugs and too much detail on that dynamic buglist page for most users.
We do use this detail in our own QA work.
Some of the bugs we fixed for Audacity 2.3.0:
- Timer record continues recording and does not stop at the stated time. You may on low powered hardware still see slow updates to the timer, and we haven't fixed that entirely yet.
- QM 1.7.1 plug-in crash, now fixed.
- Envelope curves got badly confused when joining clips.
- "The Incredible Shrinking Toolbars" - Toolbars getting smaller if you repeatedly docked and undocked them.
- Below are listed what we believe are the most common and important issues with 2.3.0 for most users.
- Far less of Audacity is properly accessible to visually impaired users than we would like. Currently the best supported platform for accessibility is Windows. We lost a lot of custom accessibility programming when we had to move to a more recent version of the wxWidgets library.
- Audacity is only partially translated in many languages. We also have some issues, for example, with Right-To-Left Languages.
Selected Bugzilla-Tracked Bugs
|ID||P||Status||Summary (5 tasks) ⇒||ID|
|1992||P1||RESOLVED||Linux: built-in real-time preview effects crash||1992|
|1913||P1||RESOLVED||Mac: Audacity will not work with future versions of macOS||1913|
|276||P2||NEW||Linux: PULSE-AUDIO issues. Freeze repeatedly starting/stopping streams.||276|
|1657||P3||NEW||Windows: DirectSound Sound Activated Recording does not record correctly or pauses permanently after 12 seconds||1657|
|1585||P3||NEW||Mac: Audacity does not launch on a few El Capitan systems||1585|
- Click on the bug numbers to see work done on these bugs.