Release Notes 2.4.0
|Audacity 2.4.0 was released on ----- May 2020.
audacity-win-2.3.3.exe SHA256 263cecf19ff27c7a2f0c04a4031f0e45cda5215eb0836a4e40e09605d83286e2 audacity-macos-2.3.3.dmg SHA256 43db4d502086257ca377326f9621a343149faac6d3334424b20a3b5caceadda8 audacity-minsrc-2.3.3.tar.xz SHA256 ca42f64d9e9b3d5ee007f5d00b438229f88c9016f30b3ad9f49076a14bce0b55 Audacity-2.3.3.zip SHA256 0cb7d4e293ee6fd6955af2a4bc6cea8cf21b9db053b86274f3072e036d7204e3 audacity-manual-2.3.3.zip SHA256 286ca5b865d53f960e45976bb22c6f0c1b863f2f43e8b7c0f633bf1c5ecb2790 audacity-macosx-ub-2.1.1-screen-reader.dmg SHA256 b1913d3362a9221609bae7fab848a5cae93d786d178234c6018e3c95ddfd9d62
Changes and improvements since previous version
Audacity 2.4.0 replaces all previous versions.
- Over 3 bugs fixed since 2.3.3
Full details of new features in the visual guide to New Features in 2.4.0
- Audacity 2.4.0 requires the CPU to support the SSE2 instruction set which should be available on any Intel hardware produced after 2001 and any AMD hardware produced after 2003.
- 2.4.0 does not support Windows XP.
- You may try 2.2.2 on XP, but it is unsupported.
- Audacity 2.4.0 is for Intel Macs running OS X 10.7 and later and macOS including Catalina.
- There are legacy versions for older OS X at http://audacityteam.org/download/legacy-mac/.
- Linux support is tested on Ubuntu Linux.
- Audacity may compile on Gentoo, Debian, Mint.
- Audacity does not currently compile on SuSE Linux.
Interactive Buglist Page
We probably track more bugs than you are interested in...
On the dynamic buglist page you can select to view:
- Complete list of bugs in 2.3.3 that we have fixed for 2.4.0
- Known bugs on the OS you use Mac, Windows or Linux.
- Known bugs to do with accessibility or localization.
- Workarounds for some bugs.
- Serious bugs and less serious bugs.
You can choose various combinations of these. However, there are probably too many minor bugs and too much detail on that dynamic buglist page for most users.
We do use this detail in our own QA work.
- Below are listed what we believe are the most common and important issues with 2.4.0 for most users.
- Less of Audacity is properly accessible to visually impaired users than we would like. Currently the best supported platform for accessibility is Windows. We lost a lot of custom accessibility programming when we had to move to a more recent version of the wxWidgets library.
- Audacity is only partially translated in many languages. We also have some issues, for example, with Right-To-Left Languages.
Selected Bugzilla-Tracked Bugs
|ID||P||Status||Summary (3 tasks) ⇒||ID|
|1986||P2||RESOLVED||Linux: Unwanted messages in console.||1986|
|2212||P2||RESOLVED||Mac: Keyboard tabbing in Timer Record stuck in left hand panel.||2212|
|276||P3||NEW||Linux: PULSE-AUDIO issues. Freeze repeatedly starting/stopping streams||276|
- Click on the bug numbers to see work done on these bugs.