Release Notes 2.4.1
|Audacity 2.4.1 was released on 20th May 2020.
audacity-win-2.4.1.exe - 28245064 bytes SHA-256 dde069264974b3bf7a0b556ea3037bb424630e3112735f99129f3d84921e547f audacity-macos-2.4.1.dmg - 39745448 bytes SHA-256 5d340b025b80eb0c3ea41ae2487a77b86527bc8fb0e058d32e37762ac3d85575 audacity-minsrc-2.4.1.tar.xz - 11368524 bytes SHA-256 d476e25129846108d8a57f818ea0c0b90912d3dd4127eb7365cac5fbe0458dc6 audacity-2.4.1.zip - 11636331 bytes SHA-256 23f388b22974eb9ee05672e52d34971000e9c5656551bfe9b348e16ac1c5e495 audacity-manual-2.4.1.zip - 22600322 bytes SHA-256 a18186de8788510a34298b857947b55e49029b622ce8e6119e53db4c427b60d5
Changes and improvements since previous version
Audacity 2.4.1 replaces all previous versions. It contains a rapid fix for a serious bug in the briefly issued Audacity 2.4.0 release.
- Over 100 bugs fixed since 2.3.3
Full details of new features in the visual guide to New Features in 2.4.1
- Audacity 2.4.1 requires the CPU to support the SSE2 instruction set which should be available on any Intel hardware produced after 2001 and any AMD hardware produced after 2003.
- 2.4.1 does not support Windows XP.
- You may try 2.2.2 on XP, but it is unsupported.
- Audacity 2.4.1 is for Intel Macs running OS X 10.7 and later and macOS including Catalina.
- There are legacy versions for older OS X at http://audacityteam.org/download/legacy-mac/.
- Linux support is tested on Ubuntu Linux. Use the CMake build. The Automake build is no longer reliable.
- Audacity may compile on Gentoo, Debian, Mint.
- Audacity does not currently compile on SuSE Linux.
Interactive Buglist Page
We probably track more bugs than you are interested in...
On the dynamic buglist page you can select to view:
- Complete list of bugs in 2.3.3 that we have fixed for 2.4.1
- Known bugs on the OS you use Mac, Windows or Linux.
- Known bugs to do with accessibility or localization.
- Workarounds for some bugs.
- Serious bugs and less serious bugs.
You can choose various combinations of these. However, there are probably too many minor bugs and too much detail on that dynamic buglist page for most users.
We do use this detail in our own QA work.
- Below are listed what we believe are the most common and important issues with 2.4.1 for most users.
- Less of Audacity is properly accessible to visually impaired users than we would like. Currently the best supported platform for accessibility is Windows. We lost a lot of custom accessibility programming when we had to move to a more recent version of the wxWidgets library.
- Audacity is only partially translated in many languages. We also have some issues, for example, with Right-To-Left Languages.
Selected Bugzilla-Tracked Bugs
|ID||P||Status||Summary (5 tasks) ⇒||ID|
|2400||P1||RESOLVED||Mac: Zoomed in, playback meters slow to respond.||2400|
|1986||P2||RESOLVED||Linux: Unwanted messages in console.||1986|
|421||P2||RESOLVED||Crash importing malformed MP3 file using libmad||421|
|2212||P2||RESOLVED||Mac: Keyboard tabbing in Timer Record stuck in left hand panel.||2212|
|276||P3||NEW||Linux: PULSE-AUDIO issues. Freeze repeatedly starting/stopping streams||276|
- Click on the bug numbers to see work done on these bugs.