Release Notes 3.0.0
|Audacity 3.0.0 was released on 1st Apr 2025.
audacity-win-3.0.0.exe SHA256 1f20cd153b2c322bf1ff9941e4e5204098abdc7da37250ce3fb38612b3e927ba audacity-macos-3.0.0.dmg SHA256 4730abe5b59d9c3dd000fde22d7037af6e6019a4305195a3e4e714f6c9f6380a audacity-minsrc-3.0.0.tar.xz SHA256 b3ea9b85f184cec4c1d0da50edb4a588132589d6d1709f6ef0147d52199d0b59 audacity-3.0.0.zip SHA256 0c14f7c6850c93b9dacc14fe66876b8dc3397d92dbd849898783a21bad1fff55 audacity-manual-3.0.0.zip SHA256 030b8da55738d80a181af212f6ce25205c4d047a90f21c15acd083c5a589a6c6
Changes and improvements since previous version
Audacity 3.0.0 replaces all previous versions.
- Over 150 bugs fixed since 2.4.2
Full details of new features in the visual guide to New Features in 3.0.0
- Audacity 3.0.0 requires the CPU to support the SSE2 instruction set which should be available on any Intel hardware produced after 2001 and any AMD hardware produced after 2003.
- 3.0.0 does not support Windows XP.
- You may try 2.2.2 on XP, but it is unsupported.
- Audacity 3.0.0 is for Intel Macs running OS X 10.7 and later and macOS.
- There are legacy versions for older OS X at http://audacityteam.org/download/legacy-mac/.
- Linux support is tested on Ubuntu Linux.
- Audacity may compile on Gentoo, Debian, Mint.
- Audacity does not currently compile on SuSE Linux.
Interactive Buglist Page
We probably track more bugs than you are interested in...
On the dynamic buglist page you can select to view:
- Complete list of bugs in 2.4.2 that we have fixed for 3.0.0
- Known bugs on the OS you use Mac, Windows or Linux.
- Known bugs to do with accessibility or localization.
- Workarounds for some bugs.
- Serious bugs and less serious bugs.
You can choose various combinations of these. However, there are probably too many minor bugs and too much detail on that dynamic buglist page for most users.
We do use this detail in our own QA work.
- Below are listed what we believe are the most common and important issues with 3.0.0 for most users.
- Less of Audacity is properly accessible to visually impaired users than we would like. Currently the best supported platform for accessibility is Windows. We lost a lot of custom accessibility programming when we had to move to a more recent version of the wxWidgets library.
- Audacity is only partially translated in many languages. We also have some issues, for example, with Right-To-Left Languages.
Selected Bugzilla-Tracked Bugs
|2672||P3||RESOLVED||Plug-ins listed in reverse alphabetic order in Plug-ins Manager||2672|
- Click on the bug numbers to see work done on these bugs.