Release Notes 3.0.0
|Audacity 3.0.0 was released on 1st Apr 2025.
audacity-manual-3.0.0rc02.zip (application/x-zip-compressed) - 23114166 bytes SHA-256 669ca5accab95bf2205e05885eeb69df0a9c786a50af88c4a4f162d4bd774c76 audacity-minsrc-3.0.0rc02.tar.xz (n/a) - 13301292 bytes SHA-256 512209477945b3b084ded49faf275c4517706eb620844f310b37d9176a7fca1c audacity-win-3.0.0rc02.exe (application/x-msdownload) - 29380272 bytes SHA-256 94ffbdf52b7fdf319e35e0dc2ea3f2f63b8a66df5e444e3fa732c20eaf8f0056 audacity-3.0.0rc02.zip (application/x-zip-compressed) - 12507425 bytes SHA-256 bbe0d13b702d87a57130e96de2d4d8ff95096be1edfb27958c5df2cedfcb9ee2 audacity-macos-3.0.0rc02.dmg (n/a) - 41326350 bytes SHA-256 12a1a7ac0fd99e5f69ed2fa9e6c13b792ca84cdba94253492aab01aa1a1adcc7
Changes and improvements since previous version
Audacity 3.0.0 replaces all previous versions.
- Over 150 bugs fixed since 2.4.2
Full details of new features in the visual guide to New Features in 3.0.0
- Audacity 3.0.0 requires the CPU to support the SSE2 instruction set which should be available on any Intel hardware produced after 2001 and any AMD hardware produced after 2003.
- 3.0.0 does not support Windows XP.
- You may try 2.2.2 on XP, but it is unsupported.
- Audacity 3.0.0 is for Intel Macs running OS X 10.7 and later and macOS.
- There are legacy versions for older OS X at http://audacityteam.org/download/legacy-mac/.
- Linux support is tested on Ubuntu Linux.
- Audacity may compile on Gentoo, Debian, Mint.
- Audacity does not currently compile on SuSE Linux.
Interactive Buglist Page
We probably track more bugs than you are interested in...
On the dynamic buglist page you can select to view:
- Complete list of bugs in 2.4.2 that we have fixed for 3.0.0
- Known bugs on the OS you use Mac, Windows or Linux.
- Known bugs to do with accessibility or localization.
- Workarounds for some bugs.
- Serious bugs and less serious bugs.
You can choose various combinations of these. However, there are probably too many minor bugs and too much detail on that dynamic buglist page for most users.
We do use this detail in our own QA work.
- Below are listed what we believe are the most common and important issues with 3.0.0 for most users.
- Less of Audacity is properly accessible to visually impaired users than we would like. Currently the best supported platform for accessibility is Windows. We lost a lot of custom accessibility programming when we had to move to a more recent version of the wxWidgets library.
- Audacity is only partially translated in many languages. We also have some issues, for example, with Right-To-Left Languages.
Selected Bugzilla-Tracked Bugs
|2672||P3||RESOLVED||Plug-ins listed in reverse alphabetic order in Plug-ins Manager||2672|
- Click on the bug numbers to see work done on these bugs.