Release Notes 3.0.0
|Audacity 3.0.0 was released on 1st Apr 2025.
audacity-win-3.0.0rc03.exe (application/x-msdownload) - 29376712 bytes SHA-256 c9b98d11b27b60acc54bd637dd057dc8a5cdbdea3e2bb9ac54c6ba026870af49 audacity-win-3.0.0rc03.zip (application/x-zip-compressed) - 12507830 bytes SHA-256 744551b725d9d38aa8a6825231e1ef5a813c8fe034b59fe0b29328b92b40d834 audacity-man-3.0.0rc03.zip (application/x-zip-compressed) - 23114150 bytes SHA-256 e037890b70a556eff533cee9ab0a7bcf07957efba4612801eb8906b3ab99ace0 audacity-macos-3.0.0rc03.dmg (n/a) - 41327238 bytes SHA-256 232caec5a8805673c02fd04f812149bf7fe70385e42a4fd662125b424b8aa33c audacity-minsrc-3.0.0rc03.tar.xz (n/a) - 13299040 bytes SHA-256 df18b4bb8811cb042a5223513ce1c07a4162f84ad90e9e9ae2ebf4782d039a8c
Changes and improvements since previous version
Audacity 3.0.0 replaces all previous versions.
- Over 150 bugs fixed since 2.4.2
Full details of new features in the visual guide to New Features in 3.0.0
- Audacity 3.0.0 requires the CPU to support the SSE2 instruction set which should be available on any Intel hardware produced after 2001 and any AMD hardware produced after 2003.
- 3.0.0 does not support Windows XP.
- You may try 2.2.2 on XP, but it is unsupported.
- Audacity 3.0.0 is for Intel Macs running OS X 10.7 and later and macOS.
- There are legacy versions for older OS X at http://audacityteam.org/download/legacy-mac/.
- Linux support is tested on Ubuntu Linux.
- Audacity may compile on Gentoo, Debian, Mint.
- Audacity does not currently compile on SuSE Linux.
Interactive Buglist Page
We probably track more bugs than you are interested in...
On the dynamic buglist page you can select to view:
- Complete list of bugs in 2.4.2 that we have fixed for 3.0.0
- Known bugs on the OS you use Mac, Windows or Linux.
- Known bugs to do with accessibility or localization.
- Workarounds for some bugs.
- Serious bugs and less serious bugs.
You can choose various combinations of these. However, there are probably too many minor bugs and too much detail on that dynamic buglist page for most users.
We do use this detail in our own QA work.
- Below are listed what we believe are the most common and important issues with 3.0.0 for most users.
- Less of Audacity is properly accessible to visually impaired users than we would like. Currently the best supported platform for accessibility is Windows. We lost a lot of custom accessibility programming when we had to move to a more recent version of the wxWidgets library.
- Audacity is only partially translated in many languages. We also have some issues, for example, with Right-To-Left Languages.
Selected Bugzilla-Tracked Bugs
|2672||P3||RESOLVED||Plug-ins listed in reverse alphabetic order in Plug-ins Manager||2672|
- Click on the bug numbers to see work done on these bugs.