Steps to build DMG and zip
- If you already have a universal, current wxMac with all patches then you can skip this
- download wxMac
- apply patches - some may be on list. (as of 2.8.12 there is one patch: wxMacAdditions/wxMac_bug_2_10.5.8_PPC.patch)
- configure for universal *against the 10.4 sdk* or ppcs won't be able to run.
- You will need xcode 3.x installed, and can do a configure;make;make install as normal, but make sure this is in your configure line: --enable-universal-binary --with-macosx-sdk=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk --with-macosx-version-min=10.4
- If you have XCode 4.x installed along side XCode 3.x, this is okay, but you will need to configure and make with a configure that explicitly specifies the gcc-4.0 in the 3.x XCode directory, because XCode 4 installs gcc-4.0 to /usr/bin, which comes first in your path, so 'CC=gcc-4.0' will fail since it does not have a ppc assembler. Here is my example for an XCode3 directory at /Developer:
CC=/Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 CXX=/Developer/usr/bin/g++-4.0 LD=/Developer/usr/bin/g++-4.0 ../configure --disable-shared --enable-universal_binary --prefix=/Users/admin/wx/wx2.8.12r --enable-static --disable-compat26 --with-expat=builtin --with-zlib=builtin --with-regex=builtin --enable-unicode --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-monolithic --disable-debug --with-macosx-sdk=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk --with-macosx-version-min=10.4 --enable-release;make;make install
- get a clean audacity checkout
- open a terminal
- cd to the audacity root directory
- copy over three shared object plugins (gverb_1216.so hard_limiter_1413.so sc4_1882.so) into the 'plugins' directory in the root svn directory from the previous version of audacity release (these don't have problems so its unlikely you'll have to build them).
- make sure you have set up your Release_Static.xcconfig to point to the wxMac install you just made ('WX_PREFIX=/path/to/wxMacx.y.z'), and and that you have 'ARCHS=ppc i386'
- I needed to edit scripts/mac_release_build to use the correct xcodebuild, since the default one that is first on your path at /usr/bin/xcodebuild will be the 4.2 one if you have XCode4 as well. (this is done by editing 'xcodebuild -configuration 'Release Static to '/Developer/usr/bin/xcodebuild -configuration 'Release Static. In the future we should make this a parameter for the script if we are going to support PPC.
- run ./scripts/mac_release_build (FROM THE ROOT DIRECTORY)