Think you've found a bug in Audacity? Having trouble getting it to work? This page describes how to report this to the development team in a way that will help us find and fix the problem as quickly as possible.
- First, make sure your problem isn't merely an Audacity feature you haven't found yet! You can find immediate answers to many common questions on the on our main site, and on this Wiki. You can search for information on the from the Search box top right of any page, and you can search this Wiki from the search box at the left hand side of any page.
- Next, please check your problem isn't already known about. Check the and the Known Issues page on this Wiki to read about known issues with the stable version of Audacity. It's also possible issues may come up that haven't yet made it to the Frequently Asked Questions or the Wiki. So please search our and our . If you're using the Beta version of Audacity and have a problem you didn't have in the stable version, narrow your search down to the Audacity Unstable (1.3.x) Forum. If you don't see your problem, please and ask our active user community for help directly.
- If you've gone through the above two steps without success, you may have found a bug we don't know about, so please tell us about it! Very often problems are only found and fixed when they are reported to us by users trying to do a particular task in Audacity. Please give us reports of possible bugs by sending an email to our .
- Please include all the following five pieces of information in your bug report, so our developers can deal with the problem effectively with the minimum of correspondence:
|* The exact three-digit version of Audacity you are running for example 1.2.6 or 1.3.3. You can always find this by clicking in the program (or if you are on a Mac).|
|* If not downloaded from , where you obtained Audacity from - for example was it purchased from some other site, bundled on a CD with a hardware product, or obtained from the distributor of your Linux/Unix operating system?|
|*What operating system you are running including the exact version (for example Windows XP, Windows Vista, Mac OS X 10.4.8, Linux Ubuntu Feisty Fawn).|
|*What exactly you are trying to do (for example, import a WAV audio file, use an effect, or record from a microphone attached to a mixer).|
|*What is preventing you doing that, including the exact text of any error messages given. If Audacity is crashing or freezing, please give us exact steps which always reproduce the crash on your computer (for example, import an .aup Audacity Project file, then use the "Amplify" effect).|
The above information will give us a good bug report to go on.
Here are examples of bad or useless bug reports that will have us coming back to you for more information (or may mean we can't respond at all):
- "Audacity crashed! Please fix it."
- "Recording isn't working properly.I have done everything I can."
- "I can't hear anything"