Talk:Books about Audacity
Carla Schroder's "Book of Audacity" was added to this list in May 2011. Tylero is the book's editor.
- Peter Sampson 15Apr11: I read the downloadable chapter on recording LPs etc. well written and good information. A few points:
- you have a typo in page 57 where you talk about using 32-bit float where it reads "so you can do a lot of processing with losing quality" - it should read " ... without losing quality".
- the chapter recommends removing the DC offset (if any) at late stage in the editing process. I would recommend doing this as the first step after capture and before any other processing.
- personally I would (and do) use Amplify rather Normalize to bring the volume levels up. This is because Audacity's Normalize works on each stereo channel independently whereas Amplify works on them as a pair. Thus Normalize can alter or damage the stereo balance - thogh note thtat Normalize can be useful if your recording chain is imbalanced. See: Amplify and Normalize
- I would suggest adding advice to backup the WAV files in addition to creating the CD. I use a couple of external 1TB USB disks for this (really cautious folk also create off-site copies).
- Oh, and I prefer to use Brian Davies' excellent ClickRepair to do the click & pop removal. It costs a little ($40) but is just a little shy of magical in what it can do for your old LPs (certainly better than the current Audacity click removal IMHO).
- Thanks Peter, you're quite right about the typo, we'll fix that in the second printing, add errata online. I was pleasantly surprised by Audacity's hiss/pop removal in cleaning up my dad's vinyl collection, but I confess I've never used Clickrepair myself. I'll forward these other thoughts onward to Carla. Please don't hesitate to ask if you'd like to read a review copy (email is my first name at nostarch.com) Tylero
I would like to suggest my book about Audacity, which just came out this year. It is for complete beginners. It can be found at http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/the-audacity/4722789. Thank you for your consideration.