Talk:Completed: Proposal Binding Effects to Hot-Keys
Ed 1Jan12: I really do not like the proposed "Details"!
- -1 limiting number available--hard to code and hard to explain "Why?"
- -1 on/off switch/checkbox to "indicate which keys are to be bound to effects"; the checkboxes in my picture control "display in menu" and an effect could be used via hot-key even if not on the menu
- -1 "Preference page called "Effects Keyboard Shortcuts" my bad <grin>, too long; I was just using it as a test of something else and for emphasis--try "Effects Shortcuts" or "Effects Keys" and get some feedback from the forum before deciding; not only that but I believe it should be a "tab":
- -1 "Two radio buttons to be provided for each effect...If neither is checked "on" then using the assigned hot-key will invoke the dialog for the effect enabling the user to set the parameter values to be used" IMVHO this would be very bad design and with radio buttons one must always be on. It would require 2 radio buttons and a checkbox which would control "execute without the dialog popping up"; I believe the dialog should pop up populated as the user wishes and that the "execute command" (OK) button be active (execute on <ENTER> key, just as it is now).
- -1 "Default to be no bindings assigned (I believe there is no really "typical" user)." At least one effect should have a default key (I suggest "Amp") so the ability is more discoverable.
- -1 "The assigned hotkeys will be inoperable if no audio is selected." Currently this is controlled by the Preference Tracks > Select all audio in project, if none selected (which BTW has a spurious comma) and I would leave it that way
- Also note that this new page would not work with the current GUI design of Preferences and relies on being able to re-size (beyond current limits) and/or scroll the dialog's contents (both of which are trivial to accomplish--code available from me).
Relevant discussion points from forum thread that initiated this proposal
This is real code but only built-in Effects are considered and only the GUI is implemented at this time. I have some ideas about how to install the shortcuts on the menu. I realize that post-2.0 the Developers have plans to add the Effects plug-ins to the Commands Manager – this should make managing their shortcuts a lot easier.
My interim solution allows the user to turn any Effect on or off in the menu, select whether the Effect dialog opens showing the default values or the most recently used values and, obviously, allows the association of the keyboard shortcut. It also creates a separate Preferences page – the Keyboard page is already very long.
This Preference page might also be an appropriate venue for assigning a category to an Effect.
Steve Daulton 1Nv11:
That looks really interesting Edgar.
I got a lot further this AM. Now, instead of hard-coding for the known built-in effects it reads all known effects and builds the pref panel from that. It is now reading the prefs from CFG when it builds the page.
[done]storing the values (I am editing the CFG file by hand right now); act on the stored values--not hard to code but a lot of new code;
change the "Effects Keyboard Shortcuts" page into a TAB of the "Effects" page (I have no idea how to do that!).
If your code can read from all known effects and populate that dialog, how hard would it be to read the contents of the Plugins folder and populate the menu drop-down - including using subfolders as categories?
Not hard at all--that is my ultimate goal.
I now have the ON/OFF switch working so the user may leave effects in the plug-ins folder and turn menu items On/Off even for built-in effects. Next will be to add keyboard shortcuts and categories will come last.
After putting a lot of hours into this I think I can now see why the Developers want to await a complete make-over to the effects code before addressing these issues. I keep hitting brick walls when it comes to implementing the user's choices in re. turning menu items ON/OFF, assigning shortcuts or moving items from one place on the menu to another. I think I am going to abandon this project for now. Maybe the GUI interface in Prefs can be a starting point for a Proposal discussion.