|Progress reports, produced roughly every two months, about the toolbox interactive wiki diagrams code.|
|See: PR1, PR2 and PR3|
- 1 Progress Report 3
Progress Report 3
For start of June 2020
Parallels: Biosciences and Code
Two more of the diagram types are now used for both biosciences (left) and source code (right).
- A keyword in context index; for papers (left), for Audacity bugs (right)
- An objects-on-a-curve display; for cell wall (left), for Audio waveforms (right)
Here are the biology related demos.
Audacity's ruler zooms in steps, whereas this new implementation, and the image it gives a scale for, can be smoothly zoomed and panned.
- This is part of a 'slippy-maps'/'google-maps' style of image navigation that can be applied to generated images to reveal more detail as you zoom in.
- This begins the interface for navigating large biochemical pathways charts.
This is a variation on a bar chart.
- The chronogram is the start of unifying bar charts, spindle charts and cladograms.
This 'cell wall' component repeats an object along a (Catmull-Rom spline) path.
- In the demo a schematic representation of a lipid is repeated to make a lipid bilayer.
We can rotate and reflect any component-object.
- This was first needed to make zoomable rulers work in both vertical and horizontal orientation.
- Now have 'zebra' striping to make it easier for the eye to follow a line.
- Text shorter than the line is now gapped rather than being repeated to use the space.
- Now highlights the tile on hover
- The 'i' icon no longer flickers on a click.
- Clicked detail panel no longer stays around longer than intended.
- On Safari on Catalina the 'globes' plots now use the size Safari gives, rather than the size requested. This works around a bug in Safari that led to weird/distorted maps.
- Fixed: Spurious selection when dragging on canvas.
- Fixed: Dragging stops when we drag off screen and then return.
Recap of 'Combinatorial Features'
Combinatorial features that work with multiple or all diagram types are central:
- The master-detail 'large tooltips' to annotate a diagram
- The slippy-map navigation to support navigation of diagrams
- Rotations and reflections to allow charts/diagrams in different orientations.
- Packing into layouts (Horizontal Stack, Vertical Stack and Overlay)
- Chooser to choose one from several choices of diagram
- Repeating a simple diagram along a path
Lessons / Insights
- Chronograms suggest a way to unify tree based diagrams and traditional bar and line charts.
- Code keeps 'escaping' into special case methods. I need a more powerful mechanism than 'fixing it by hand' to keep the code general.