|Like many programs with multiple developers, Audacity uses to manage its . Anyone can download (or "check out") the latest stable or Beta code anonymously from our using a CVS client. is a recommended free client for Windows licensed under the . It supports secure access which is required when developers commit changes to our code. TortoiseCVS is generally regarded as easier to use than either command-line CVS or the similar interface which lacks its own SSH client.
Using Tortoise CVS to commit source code (official SourceForge documentation):
TortoiseCVS works with CVS files directly within Windows Explorer, including checking out, updating and committing modules, and viewing differences. The client is accessed in Explorer via a context menu when you right-click over a file, or with
Tutorial committing Audacity code changes
|This tutorial was left incomplete by the author : please help us finish it!|
These are one user's steps using TortoiseCVS 1.8.22 to commit changes to Audacity source code. There are more security implications in revising the source code than simply doing a read-only Checkout and Update with an anonymous login.
The following assumptions apply:
- You have a ID which for the purposes of this tutorial is newbie_sandbox
- Your SourceForge password is newbiepassword
- You have requested and received write permission as a developer to the audacious cvs repository (granted by Project Manager). This is an inactive stub project that was part of a temporary fork of the Audacity project for specialized preparation of mono speech files.
- You want to make changes to the relatively harmless file sandbox.txt and want to 'commit' the changes.
- You are reasonably proficient with Windows Explorer and on setting Windows .
- You have a reasonably standard Windows XP or 2000 installation with the environment variable TEMP defined to be C:\Temp
These steps worked for me...
- Open Explorer (for example by right-clicking over the Windows Start button and hitting "Explore")
- Create a subdirectory in your Temp directory called C:\Temp\audacious
to be completed.....