As these are all Open Source projects the applications are all free to download and use.
- Part of the problem with listing links like these is that such pages require very regular maintenance to ensure that the links are stiil working and that the sites are still active and the projects/products maintained. My recent examination of the Audacity Website (from which this page is cloned) shows that such maintenance has probably not neen taking place on the Website.
- James wrote by email 14Dec16: "Peter, I think the bigger picture is that we want to support the Open Source eco system, and Mixxx, Ardour, Blender, VLC Media Player are all part of that. ... I'm OK with the info moving to a wiki page ... "
Other Open Source Audio Software
- Ardour is a powerful digital audio workstation (DAW).
that runs on GNU/Linux and Mac OS X.
- Mixxx is free cross-platform digital DJ mixing software with features like automatic BPM matching and seamless looping.
- GramoFile is a free tool for capturing and cleaning recordings from vinyl records.
- CDex is a free CD ripper for Microsoft Windows.
- Ardour Site looks up-to-date and well tended -also now says it supports Windows
- Mixxx DJ s/w Site looks reasonably up-to-date (copyright notice is stuck at 2015) nice-looking site
- GramoFile Site looks reasonably up-to-date (but dull): "Current version: 1.6(P) - Page last updated: 2001/05/23"
- CDex Site looks up-to-date: "New stable version: CDex 1.81 released Fri, 04/22/2016"
More free audio software at SourceForge.net
- Audio Editors
- Audio Capture/Recording
- Audio Analysis
Audacity is in each of these three lists and comes top by a factor of at least 10x over its nearest neighbour. The version of Audacity is 2.1.0 though, there is a URL listed for our pukka download page on our website but it is not a clickable link.
Open Source Audio-Visual Software
- Blender is a free, cross-platform 3D content creation suite for animations, interactive applications and video games.
- VLC media player is a free, cross-platform media player for most audio and video files as well as DVD, Audio CD and VCD. VLC can also send, save and convert audio and video streams.
- MediaInfo is a free, cross-platform tag and codec analyzer for audio and video files.
- Blender looks well-tended and well-loved
- VLC media player looks well-tended and well-loved - has a download counter that updates (a lot) as you watch it
- MediaInfo looks up-to-date and maintained
- InfraRecorder looks to be abandoned - states: "Copyright (C) 2006-2012 Christian Kindahl"
- Burn looks to be abandoned - states: "Burn 2.5.1 released Sun, 16 Jan 2011" as its lates 'news'
- K3b looks to be abandoned - states: "K3b 2.0.3 released November 4th 2014"
- Xfburn looks to be abandoned (it's just a bunch of links) - states latest release as: xfburn-0.4.3.tar.bz 13-Feb-2010 08:01
- VirtualDub for Windows
- Avidemux for Windows, Mac OS X (Intel) and Linux
- HyperEngine-AV for Mac OS X (PPC)
- Cinelerra or Kino for Linux
- VirtualDub site looks out of date and untended: it states "for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows platforms (98/ME/NT4/2000/XP/Vista/7)"
- Avidemux site looks well tended and up to date
- HyperEngine-AV hosted on Sourcefoge where it states: "Last Update: 2015-10-08"
- Cinelarra site looks well tended and up to date
- Kino site states: Kino is a dead project ( 05.08.2013 14:15 ) Kino has not been actively maintained since 2009. We encourage you to try other Linux video editors such as Shotcut, Kdenlive, Flowblade, OpenShot, PiTiVi, LiVES, and LightWorks.