- The list is for finalising text that appears in Audacity.
- This is a companion list to the Release Checklist
- This is a companion list to the Documentation Checklist
Other source code changes that may require changes in text in Audacity as a consequence do not belong here. I.e. don't put a wording change here unless it is already needed with the code as it is now. Changes to the GUI such as moving buttons or controls from one place to another don't belong here either. They are not just wording changes.
Outside the program itself
This is for any documents included in source code but not part of the program wording. See Documentation Checklist for all other documentation requirements including issues that must be release noted if not fixed.
- [RA] Update the to distinguish between 1.3 and 1.2. In particular, remove reference to 1.3 importing multiple files from command line into the same Project, unless this ability is reinstated before release (See Aim to for details).
I'm not sure this should be here. It's not actually compiled in to the Audacity exe is it? I think it counts as a documentation change, just as updating compile instructions would be. -JC
"When importing audio files, normalize all tracks in project"
Move this option into the "Audio Files". Also consider a change after 1.4 so that only one normalisation is done where you have a chain starting with that effect and "normalize" is turned on (this has been placed in "not aiming"). GA believes these are good moves and that "normalize all tracks" will be used when it is in an appropriate tab and clearer what it does.
Needs more discussion. -JC
It seems self evident to GA this is on the wrong tab as this Preference affects all imported tracks not just those imported in a chain. It is not quite so obvious where it should go. JC suggested Interface Behaviors but that has no space. Also this behaviour is not only visual but modifies the waveform.
It turns out that moving it involves some coding, changes in Project.cpp as well as in the two prefs files. Also you (GA) say you would like to get rid of Audio Files preference tab entirely in due course.... I'd like to keep this wiki page just for wording changes, and have added a comment about this near the top of the page, so I think this change request should move off this page. - JC
"Auto save interval [ ] minutes"
If [MM] changes autosave to strict interval saving, as per aim-to, change 'interval' back to 'every'.
The coding change probably won't get done in time for 1.4.0 -JC
Audio Files tab
Move in from Batch tab:
"When importing audio files, normalize all tracks in project"
See discussion in Batch tab section. Needs more discussion. -JC
MP3 Export Library Location
- GA has suggested that MP3 Export Library Location move to Directories tab. Ultimately I think it should move there in 1.6/2.0 but perhaps for now it is better it stops here to save disorienting users from 1.2.x.
- As part of the changes for a LAME installer for Windows, in these builds the "Download Free Copy of LAME" button should read "Install Free Copy of LAME".
"Present track number to accessibility aid"
"Present track number as accessibility aid"
Is this a screen reader function, not anything that appears visually? Or what does this do and is there a better description we can make? - GA
Perhaps it is presenting the numbers to the accessibility aid? Leaving as is until clarified. -JC
GA suggests if it means that track number is shown to a screen reader it should say that. Are there any other accessibility aids?
- MP3 Export Library Location, added under "when exporting tracks" Note: Export quality options for WAV, AIFF, MP3 and other formats can be chosen by clicking the Options button at time of export.
- Audio to buffer: (higher = more latency)
- Latency correction: (negative = backwards)
- If you want to burn your work to an audio CD for standalone CD players, you must first in HelpText.cpp
- a WAV, AIFF or MP3. If burning to an audio CD for standalone CD players, you must export as WAV or AIFF. in Helptext.cpp.
- Enable dragging of left and right selection edges added the word 'enable'.
- MP3 Export Setup to MP3 Export Library Location which is what it is.
- When exporting tracks to an audio file added emphasis, 'to an audio file'.
- When saving a project... wording for dependencies and order of options changed.
- When importing uncompressed audio files into Audacity to When importing uncompressed audio files
- File Formats tab name changed to Audio Files
- HelpText.cpp many wording changes, including fix to |<< and >>|.
- Normalize on Load changed to When importing audio, normalize all tracks.
- Innertext:Recording written and text on monitoring added
- Innertext:Export written and three typos corrected.
- Innertext:Editing written and title changed to 'Editing and Greyed out Menus'.
- Save Changes? Dialogue with empty Project: changed from "\n\nSaved project will be empty!!\n\nTo save the tracks you previously\nhad, click cancel, restore the tracks\nusing undo, and then save." to "\n\nSaved project will be empty!!\n\nTo save the tracks that were previously\nopen, click Cancel, Edit > Undo until all your\ntracks are open, then File > Save Project."
- Interface tab, Show/Hide: "Show Welcome Message at program start up" , was 'Splash Screen'.
- Find Clipping: "Start and stop must be greater than 0", was 'positive and greater than zero'.
- Dependencies dialogue: The former "Close" and "Skip" buttons now both read "Do not copy any audio".
- Export Multiple progress dialogue: "Exporting the entire project as a WAV/AIFF file" or (for MP3) "exporting the entire file..." now changed to "Exporting entire project" with (filename) in the dialogue title and (format) above the progress bar.
- Latency Shift Dialogue: In "I have brought it back to start at zero", "I have" has been replaced with "Audacity has".
- Preferences: Interface tab: "Tracks &fit vertically zoomed" changed to "Automatically &fit tracks vertically zoomed"
- "Audacious!" buttons -> "OK... Audacious!"
- "&Select all audio, if none selected, on applying effect"
+ "&Select all audio in project, if none selected"
- "&Circular track keyboard navigation"
+ "\"Move track focus\" &cycles repeatedly through tracks"
- "&Quit Audacity upon closing last window"
+ "Any Close/Exit command completely &quits Audacity"
- " is an encrypted audio file, typically from an online music store. \nAudacity cannot open this type of file due to the encryption.\nYou need to convert it to a supported, unencrypted audio format."
+ " is an encrypted audio file. These typically are from an online music store. \nAudacity cannot open this type of file due to the encryption. \nTry recording the file into Audacity, or burn it to audio CD then \nextract the CD track to a supported audio format such as WAV or AIFF."
- " is an audio CD file. \nAudacity does not open this type of file.\nTry ripping it to a native audio format that Audacity can import."
+ " is an audio CD track. \nAudacity cannot open audio CDs directly. \nExtract (rip) the CD tracks to an audio format that \nAudacity can import, such as WAV or AIFF.");
Add "WAV or AIFF" references to Real, AAC and WMA:
- " is a RealPlayer media file. \nAudacity cannot open this..."
+ " is a RealPlayer media file. \nAudacity cannot open this proprietary format. \nYou need to convert it to a supported audio format, such as WAV or AIFF."
- " is an Advanced Audio Coding file. \nAudacity cannot open this..."
+ " is an Advanced Audio Coding file. \nAudacity cannot open this type of file. \nYou need to convert it to a supported audio format, such as WAV or AIFF."
- " is a Windows Media Audio file. \nAudacity cannot open this..."
+ " is a Windows Media Audio file. \nAudacity cannot open this type of file due to patent restrictions. \nYou need to convert it to a supported audio format, such as WAV or AIFF."
- Default temporary directory: changed from "/tmp/audacity1.2-%USERNAME" to AUDACITY_VERSION, AUDACITY_RELEASE string