- The list is for finalising text that appears in Audacity.
- This is a companion list to the Release Checklist
- This is a companion list to the Documentation Checklist
Outside the program itself
This is for any documents included in source code but not part of the program wording. See Documentation Checklist for all other documentation requirements including issues that must be release noted if not fixed.
- [RA] Update the to distinguish between 1.3 and 1.2. In particular, remove reference to 1.3 importing multiple files from command line into the same Project, unless this ability is reinstated before release (See Aim to for details).
Suggested further change:
"a WAV, AIFF or MP3. When burning to CD, you export as WAV or AIFF.\"
"a WAV, AIFF or MP3. If burning to an audio CD for standalone CD players, you must export as WAV or AIFF.\"
"_("If you want to burn your work to an audio CD, you must first \"
"_("If you want to burn your work to an audio CD for standalone CD players, you must first \"
Audio I/O tab
Ideally this needs a few helpful words, but there is little space. Is it essential we keep the panels of equal height? If it is, then how about adding after "milliseconds":
Audio to buffer: - "higher = more latency"
Latency correction: - "negative = backwards"
If we can make more space, then we could elaborate: "higher value = more latency but more reliable recording" ; "Applies when playing tracks whilst recording. Negative value shifts recording backwards." Of course this is a substitute until we have context-sensitive help. - GA
Not in favour. I don't see enough space for this. -JC
It would be preferable to include the shorter wording if possible. This could be done by moving up the latency panel into the vacant space occupied by Effects Preview. Something like:
Latency Audio to buffer: (higher = more latency) [ ] milliseconds Latency correction: (negative = backwards) [ ] milliseconds
This has the disadvantage that the audio to buffer box can't line up horizontally with any other boxes, but puts currently wasted space to good use.
"When importing audio files, normalize all tracks in project"
Move this option into the "Audio Files". Also consider a change after 1.4 so that only one normalisation is done where you have a chain starting with that effect and "normalize" is turned on (this has been placed in "not aiming"). GA believes these are good moves and that "normalize all tracks" will be used when it is in an appropriate tab and clearer what it does.
Needs more discussion. -JC
It seems self evident to GA this is on the wrong tab as this Preference affects all imported tracks not just those imported in a chain. It is not quite so obvious where it should go. JC suggested Interface Behaviors but that has no space. Also this behaviour is not only visual but modifies the waveform.
"Auto save interval [ ] minutes"
If [MM] changes autosave to strict interval saving, as per aim-to, change 'interval' back to 'every'.
The coding change probably won't get done in time for 1.4.0 -JC
Audio Files tab
Move in from Batch tab:
"When importing audio files, normalize all tracks in project"
See discussion in Batch tab section. Needs more discussion. -JC
MP3 Export Library Location
Suggested additional text:
Significant numbers of users have reported difficulty finding the new location of file format export options. Whilst "when exporting tracks" needs to remain here instead of in the Export File dialogue where it should be, I suggest adding text explaining where the export options have gone to. I suggest this could go inside the "when exporting tracks" panel under the radio buttons, and say:
"Note: Export quality options for WAV, AIFF, MP3 and other formats can be chosen by clicking the Options button at time of export."
Needs discussion -JC
Happy to discuss some other way of addressing this but I think it will be significant for the large numbers of users upgrading from 1.2.x who will be expecting to set their MP3 bit rate here.
- GA has suggested that MP3 Export Library Location move to Directories tab. Ultimately I think it should move there in 1.6/2.0 but perhaps for now it is better it stops here to save disorienting users from 1.2.x.
- As part of the changes for a LAME installer for Windows, in these builds the "Download Free Copy of LAME" button should read "Install Free Copy of LAME".
"Present track number to accessibility aid"
"Present track number as accessibility aid"
Is this a screen reader function, not anything that appears visually? Or what does this do and is there a better description we can make? - GA
Perhaps it is presenting the numbers to the accessibility aid? Leaving as is until clarified. -JC
GA suggests if it means that track number is shown to a screen reader it should say that. Are there any other accessibility aids?
- Enable dragging of left and right selection edges added the word 'enable'.
- MP3 Export Setup to MP3 Export Library Location which is what it is.
- When exporting tracks to an audio file added emphasis, 'to an audio file'.
- When saving a project... wording for dependencies and order of options changed.
- When importing uncompressed audio files into Audacity to When importing uncompressed audio files
- File Formats tab name changed to Audio Files
- HelpText.cpp many wording changes, including fix to |<< and >>|.
- Normalize on Load changed to When importing audio, normalize all tracks.
- Innertext:Recording written and text on monitoring added
- Innertext:Export written and three typos corrected.
- Innertext:Editing written and title changed to 'Editing and Greyed out Menus'.
- Save Changes? Dialogue with empty Project: changed from "\n\nSaved project will be empty!!\n\nTo save the tracks you previously\nhad, click cancel, restore the tracks\nusing undo, and then save." to "\n\nSaved project will be empty!!\n\nTo save the tracks that were previously\nopen, click Cancel, Edit > Undo until all your\ntracks are open, then File > Save Project."
- Interface tab, Show/Hide: "Show Welcome Message at program start up" , was 'Splash Screen'.
- Find Clipping: "Start and stop must be greater than 0", was 'positive and greater than zero'.
- Dependencies dialogue: The former "Close" and "Skip" buttons now both read "Do not copy any audio".
- Export Multiple progress dialogue: "Exporting the entire project as a WAV/AIFF file" or (for MP3) "exporting the entire file..." now changed to "Exporting entire project" with (filename) in the dialogue title and (format) above the progress bar.
- Latency Shift Dialogue: In "I have brought it back to start at zero", "I have" has been replaced with "Audacity has".
- Preferences: Interface tab: "Tracks &fit vertically zoomed" changed to "Automatically &fit tracks vertically zoomed"
- "Audacious!" buttons -> "OK... Audacious!"
- "&Select all audio, if none selected, on applying effect"
+ "&Select all audio in project, if none selected"
- "&Circular track keyboard navigation"
+ "\"Move track focus\" &cycles repeatedly through tracks"
- "&Quit Audacity upon closing last window"
+ "Any Close/Exit command completely &quits Audacity"
- " is an encrypted audio file, typically from an online music store. \nAudacity cannot open this type of file due to the encryption.\nYou need to convert it to a supported, unencrypted audio format."
+ " is an encrypted audio file. These typically are from an online music store. \nAudacity cannot open this type of file due to the encryption. \nTry recording the file into Audacity, or burn it to audio CD then \nextract the CD track to a supported audio format such as WAV or AIFF."
- " is an audio CD file. \nAudacity does not open this type of file.\nTry ripping it to a native audio format that Audacity can import."
+ " is an audio CD track. \nAudacity cannot open audio CDs directly. \nExtract (rip) the CD tracks to an audio format that \nAudacity can import, such as WAV or AIFF.");
Add "WAV or AIFF" references to Real, AAC and WMA:
- " is a RealPlayer media file. \nAudacity cannot open this..."
+ " is a RealPlayer media file. \nAudacity cannot open this proprietary format. \nYou need to convert it to a supported audio format, such as WAV or AIFF."
- " is an Advanced Audio Coding file. \nAudacity cannot open this..."
+ " is an Advanced Audio Coding file. \nAudacity cannot open this type of file. \nYou need to convert it to a supported audio format, such as WAV or AIFF."
- " is a Windows Media Audio file. \nAudacity cannot open this..."
+ " is a Windows Media Audio file. \nAudacity cannot open this type of file due to patent restrictions. \nYou need to convert it to a supported audio format, such as WAV or AIFF."
- Default temporary directory: changed from "/tmp/audacity1.2-%USERNAME" to AUDACITY_VERSION, AUDACITY_RELEASE string