What this page can contain:
This page should contain agreed wording changes that should be applied in time for the next release (including translation). Some of the changes on this page are actually not agreed changes, and
(a) haven't been applied to the source code and
(b) are now marked to show that they are not agreed.
In the period between translation freeze and release it may also be useful to store agreed "cosmetic" wording changes here that are not worth breaking translations for, but which should be dealt with after release. Such changes should be stored inside their own heading at the top of the page.
What does not belong here:
- Other source code changes that may require changes in text in Audacity as a consequence
- Changes to the GUI such as moving buttons or controls from one place to another
- Changes to the bundled Manual - these are tracked in ednotes on the pages concerned.
- In the Track Control Panel dropdown menu "Multi View" should be hyphenated as "Multi-view"
- Scriptables II > Set Track... has "Colour" where it should have the US "Color"
- Scriptables I > Set Track Visuals... has "Colour" where it should have the US "Color"
- Note that both are correctly spelled on this page in the Manual
- Scriptables I > Set Clip... has "Colour" where it should have the US "Color"
- Peter: I changed the text in the Manual page https://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Extra_Menu:_Scriptables_I
- "Filter Curve" to be renamed to "Filter Curve EQ"
- Decided by QA consensus on the Quality list. Many folk are missing Equalization in 2.3.3. They spot "Graphic EQ" but think it's is a poor-relation, a cut-down effect. They fail to realize the Filter Curve is also an equalization effect.
Consistency in and clarity of purpose for analyzers
- Analyze>Find Clipping helpfully creates a label track names "Clipping" - informative with good clarity or purpose. In contrast ...
- Analyze>Beat Finder creates a label track named "Label Track" - it should be "Beats" - consistent with Find Clipping and expresses clarity of purpose, removes ambiguity
- Analyze>Silence Finder creates a label track named "Label Track" - it should be "Silences" - consistent with Find Clipping and expresses clarity of purpose, removes ambiguity
- Analyze>Sound Finder creates a label track named "Label Track" - it should be "Sounds" - consistent with Find Clipping and expresses clarity of purpose, removes ambiguity
Error messages, warnings and advice dialogs
- The hovertext tool tip for Multi-Tool in the Tools Toolbar says "Multi Tool" it should be hyphenated as "Multi-Tool"
- Peter 03Jan20: This is for consistency with the manual see Multi-Tool
- In Tracks preferences "Show audio track name as overlay" to be changed to "Show track name as overlay" - or even "Show track names as overlays" (plural)
- The first point is that the tracck name overlay is displayed for all track types - not just "audio" tracks.
- The second point is that turning this "on" works on all tracks - hence the pluralization suggestion.
- Peter: I think I have a mild preference for the singular - it just looks neater
- improvements to the label context menu for clarity of purpose:
- Cut to become Cut label text
- Copy to become Copy label text
- Edit to become Edit label
- In Import/Export Preferences change "Skip silent space at the beginning" to be "Ignore blank space at the beginning"
- In the Tracks Preferences menu the submenu revert from "Tracks' Behaviors" to the former "Tracks Behaviors" omitting the added apostrophe (introduced in 2.3.3 alpha)
In the Tracks Preferences menu the submenu should simply be "Behaviors" rather than "Tracks Behaviors" - NO, reverted to "Tracks' Behaviors" BUT with an added apostrophe
- UPDATE: on further thinking and looking at the Manual I think it should stay as "Tracks Behaviors"
- In Import/Export Preferences "Custom mix" changed to "Advanced Mixing Options
- Warning:Problems found in Automatic Recovery - changed message to read Select "Help > Diagnostics > Show Log..." to see details
- Changed Effect > AudioUnit to Effect > Audio Unit with the space between "Audio" and "Unit"
- Peter 12Dec18: Apple always expresses this as two separate words and for consistency so should we.
- The individual effects still have names like AUEqualizer and AUFilter
- cleaned (the output folder created by a a Macro) renamed to macro-output
- Changed the box title "MP3 Export Library" to "LAME MP3 Export Library"
- Remove ':'s in these, both for display and for screen reader.
- Project Rate (Hz): in SelectionBar::Populate()
- Center Frequency: in SpectralSelectionBar::Populate()
- Bandwidth: in SpectralSelectionBar::Populate()
- Low Frequency: in SpectralSelectionBar::Populate()
- High Frequency: in SpectralSelectionBar::Populate()
- In Devices preferences Time shift for record changed to Latency compensation
- Transcription Toolbar renamed to Play-at-Speed Toolbar
- Sliding Time Scale - Pitch Shift renamed as Sliding Stretch (party to reduce verbosity).
- two (ghost) shortcuts in Extra - for moving through active windows
- hyphenation of "Snap-To" in Extra>Selection submenu
- "Fit project in window" to "Fit project to width"
- VAMP to Vamp
- Selection Toolbar: "Project Rate (Hz):" trailing colon removed.
- Audacity to Built-in in EGAs
- More vertical zooming changed to Advanced vertical zooming in Tracks Behaviors preferences
- Scrub to Seek in Ext-Menu.
- Auto-select, if selection required
- "Disk space remains for recording xxx hours and yy minutes" to "Disk space remaining for recording: xxx hours and yy minutes".
- "Select > Region > "Ends to Zero Crossings" to Select > "At Zero Crossings".
- "To use Draw, choose 'Waveform' in the Track Drop-down Menu" to "To use Draw, choose 'Waveform' or 'Waveform dB' in the Track Dropdown Menu.".
- Actions done by Transcription Toolbar and its tooltip now have "Speed" capitalised.
- No ellipses in title bar of file open/import dialogs.
- Auto Recovery "Discard" dialogs say only recoverable projects are discarded.
- Capitalised button in Dependency dialogue per MS guidelines.
- Edit Metadata Tags dialog always titled as that, even when exporting.
- Tracks Preferences: Changed "Select all audio in project, if none selected" to clearer "Select then act on entire project, if no region selected".
- Changed "for this to use" to "to perform this action' in some "Disallowed" dialogs.
- Locate LAME dialog: Capitalize LAME.
- Error importing dialog: Mention FFmpeg and show actual menu path to Import Raw Data.
- Recording Preferences playthrough text: "Listen while recording or monitoring new track (uncheck when recording "stereo mix")" changed to "Listen to input while recording or monitoring (uncheck when recording computer playback)".
- Scrubbing tooltips finalized as "Click & move to Scrub. Click & drag to Seek."
- Timer Recording capitalization fixes.
- Timer Recording Disk Space Warning: "Recording time remaining on disc" to "Recording time remaining on disk"
- Welcome message reworked for better and clearer layout and text
- Sequence.cpp More friendly warning for overlong Block File "Truncating Overlong Block File" with text "Sequence has block file exceeding maximum %s samples per block. Truncating to this maximum length.".
- About Dialog: OK... Audacious!" button changed to "OK".
- "Leveller" name in interface changed to "Leveler".
- RecordingPrefs.cpp: Add "Overdub" to read: "Overdub: Play other tracks while recording new one".
- DirectoriesPrefs.cpp: reword audio cache preference to "Play and/or record using RAM (useful for slow drives, but could crash with long files or recordings)." Remove "AutoSave" choice.
- TrackPanel.cpp: "Draw currently only works with linear-view waveforms" > "To use Draw, choose 'Waveform' in the Track Drop-down Menu"
- Import / Export Preferences: Remove duplicated "When importing audio" from "Normalize all tracks in project"
- Import.cpp: Add file type exclusions for MIDI, other notes-based formats, Musepack, Wavpack, AC3 and Speex.
- Import.cpp: Remove exclusion of .mpa format as it's a valid MPEG-1 format.
- Interface tab: Change to "Closing last window quits Audacity" (similar, slightly shorter wording to that in 1.3.3)
- ExportPCM.cpp: Options dialog for "WAV, AIFF, and other uncompressed types" changed from "Specify PCM Options" to "Specify Uncompressed Options"
- Generate Menu: change inconsistent wordings in Chirp, DTMF, Noise, Silence, Tone to "Duration:"
- Project.cpp: change text when opening 1.x project to "This file was saved by Audacity (1.x.x), a much\nolder version. The format has changed.\nAudacity could corrupt the file in opening\nit, so you must back it up first.\n\nOpen this file now?"
- Tracks menu > Resample: change to "New sample rate (Hz)"
- Interface tab: change to "Display range minimum for 'waveform (dB)' view"
- Autorecovery.cpp: change to "Confirm?" dialog header and text "Are you sure you don't want to recover any projects? They can't be recovered later."
- Both "OK...Audacious" buttons to "OK".
- Project.cpp: change to "This file was saved by Audacity (1.2.6). You can open\nthe file with this version of Audacity, but if you save it with this version\nyou will no longer be able to open it in older versions.\n\nOpen this file now?"
- HelpText.cpp: remove duplicated links and make "[burnCD|burn to a CD]]" a bullet
- Credit to Chris Cannam on the "Audacity" tab of "About Audacity" for Vamp.
- Interface tab: remove preference "Present track number to accessibility aid"
- MP3 Export Library Location, added under "when exporting tracks" Note: Export quality options for WAV, AIFF, MP3 and other formats can be chosen by clicking the Options button at time of export.
- Audio to buffer: (higher = more latency)
- Latency correction: (negative = backwards)
- If you want to burn your work to an audio CD for standalone CD players, you must first in HelpText.cpp
- a WAV, AIFF or MP3. If burning to an audio CD for standalone CD players, you must export as WAV or AIFF. in Helptext.cpp.
- Enable dragging of left and right selection edges added the word 'enable'.
- MP3 Export Setup to MP3 Export Library Location which is what it is.
- When exporting tracks to an audio file added emphasis, 'to an audio file'.
- When saving a project... wording for dependencies and order of options changed.
- When importing uncompressed audio files into Audacity to When importing uncompressed audio files
- File Formats tab name changed to Audio Files
- HelpText.cpp many wording changes, including fix to |<< and >>|.
- Normalize on Load changed to When importing audio, normalize all tracks.
- Innertext:Recording written and text on monitoring added
- Innertext:Export written and three typos corrected.
- Innertext:Editing written and title changed to 'Editing and Greyed out Menus'.
- Save Changes? Dialogue with empty Project: changed from "\n\nSaved project will be empty!!\n\nTo save the tracks you previously\nhad, click cancel, restore the tracks\nusing undo, and then save." to "\n\nSaved project will be empty!!\n\nTo save the tracks that were previously\nopen, click Cancel, Edit > Undo until all your\ntracks are open, then File > Save Project."
- Interface tab, Show/Hide: "Show Welcome Message at program start up" , was 'Splash Screen'.
- Find Clipping: "Start and stop must be greater than 0", was 'positive and greater than zero'.
- Dependencies dialogue: The former "Close" and "Skip" buttons now both read "Do not copy any audio".
- Export Multiple progress dialogue: "Exporting the entire project as a WAV/AIFF file" or (for MP3) "exporting the entire file..." now changed to "Exporting entire project" with (file name) in the dialogue title and (format) above the progress bar.
- Latency Shift Dialogue: In "I have brought it back to start at zero", "I have" has been replaced with "Audacity has".
- Preferences: Interface tab: "Tracks &fit vertically zoomed" changed to "Automatically &fit tracks vertically zoomed"
- "Audacious!" buttons -> "OK... Audacious!"
- "&Select all audio, if none selected, on applying effect"
+ "&Select all audio in project, if none selected"
- "&Circular track keyboard navigation"
+ "\"Move track focus\" &cycles repeatedly through tracks"
- "&Quit Audacity upon closing last window"
+ "Any Close/Exit command completely &quits Audacity"
- " is an encrypted audio file, typically from an online music store. \nAudacity cannot open this type of file due to the encryption.\nYou need to convert it to a supported, unencrypted audio format."
+ " is an encrypted audio file. These typically are from an online music store. \nAudacity cannot open this type of file due to the encryption. \nTry recording the file into Audacity, or burn it to audio CD then \nextract the CD track to a supported audio format such as WAV or AIFF."
- " is an audio CD file. \nAudacity does not open this type of file.\nTry ripping it to a native audio format that Audacity can import."
+ " is an audio CD track. \nAudacity cannot open audio CDs directly. \nExtract (rip) the CD tracks to an audio format that \nAudacity can import, such as WAV or AIFF.");
Add "WAV or AIFF" references to Real, AAC and WMA:
- " is a RealPlayer media file. \nAudacity cannot open this..."
+ " is a RealPlayer media file. \nAudacity cannot open this proprietary format. \nYou need to convert it to a supported audio format, such as WAV or AIFF."
- " is an Advanced Audio Coding file. \nAudacity cannot open this..."
+ " is an Advanced Audio Coding file. \nAudacity cannot open this type of file. \nYou need to convert it to a supported audio format, such as WAV or AIFF."
- " is a Windows Media Audio file. \nAudacity cannot open this..."
+ " is a Windows Media Audio file. \nAudacity cannot open this type of file due to patent restrictions. \nYou need to convert it to a supported audio format, such as WAV or AIFF."
- Default temporary directory: changed from "/tmp/audacity1.2-%USERNAME" to AUDACITY_VERSION, AUDACITY_RELEASE string
- Bug #437 Audacity failed to write to a file in <volume>. made more informative and helpful by adding Perhaps <volume\file> is not writable or the disk is full.
- Main menu changes for conformance with our Guidelines on capitalization in Audacity dialogs and messages.
|Existing menu string||sub-menu to become|
|Edit > Labels > Add Label At Selection||Add Label at Selection|
|Edit > Labels > Add Label At Playback Position||Add Label at Playback Position|
|Select > Spectral > Toggle spectral selection||Toggle Spectral Selection|
|Tracks > Sort Tracks > by Start Time...||By Start Time...|
|Tracks > Sort Tracks > by Name...||By Name...|
|Existing menu string||sub-menu to become|
|Tracks -> Mix -> Mix Stereo down to Mono||Mix Stereo Down to Mono.|
- Menu changes required in the "Extra" menu sub-menus for conformance with our Guidelines on capitalization in Audacity dialogs and messages.
|Existing menu string||sub-menu to become|
|Extra > Transport > Play To Selection||Play to Selection|
|Extra > Mixer > Adjust playback volume||Adjust Playback Volume|
|Extra > Mixer > Increase playback volume||Increase Playback Volume|
|Extra > Mixer > Decrease playback volume||Decrease Playback Volume|
|Extra > Mixer > Adjust recording volume||Adjust Recording Volume|
|Extra > Mixer > Increase recording volume||Increase Recording Volume|
|Extra > Mixer > Decrease recording volume||Decrease Recording Volume|
|Extra > Transcription > Adjust playback speed||Adjust Playback Speed|
|Extra > Transcription > Increase playback speed||Increase Playback Speed|
|Extra > Transcription > Decrease playback speed||Decrease Playback Speed|
|Extra > Seek > Short seek left during playback||Short Seek Left During Playback|
|Extra > Seek > Short seek right during playback||Short Seek Right During Playback|
|Extra > Seek > Long seek left during playback||Long Seek Left During Playback|
|Extra > Seek > Long Seek right during playback||Long Seek Right During Playback|
|Extra > Device > Change recording device||Change Recording Device|
|Extra > Device > Change playback device||Change Playback Device|
|Extra > Device > Change audio host||Change Audio Host|
|Extra > Device > Change recording channels||Change Recording Channels|
|Extra > Focus > Move backward from toolbars to tracks||Move Backward from Toolbars to Tracks|
|Extra > Focus > Move forward from toolbars to tracks||Move Forward from Toolbars to Tracks|
|Extra > Track > Change pan on focused track||Change Pan on Focused Track|
|Extra > Track > Pan left on focused track||Pan Left on Focused Track|
|Extra > Track > Pan right on focused track||Pan Right on Focused Track|
|Extra > Track > Change gain on focused track||Change Gain on Focused Track|
|Extra > Track > Increase gain on focused track||Increase Gain on Focused Track|
|Extra > Track > Decrease gain on focused track||Decrease Gain on Focused Track|
|Extra > Track > Open menu on focused track||Open Menu on Focused Track|
|Extra > Track > Mute/Unmute focused track||Mute/Unmute Focused Track|
|Extra > Track > Solo/Unsolo focused track||Solo/Unsolo Focused Track|
|Extra > Track > Close focused track||Close Focused Track|
|Extra > Track > Move focused track up||Move Focused Track Up|
|Extra > Track > Move focused track down||Move Focused Track Down|
|Extra > Track > Move focused track to top||Move Focused Track to Top|
|Extra > Track > Move focused track to bottom||Move Focused Track to Bottom|
|Extra > Full screen (on/off)||Full Screen (on/off)|
|Extra > Edit > DeleteKey||Delete Key|
|Extra > Edit > DeleteKey2||Delete Key2|
|Extra > Minimize all projects||Minimize All Projects|