- The list is for finalising text that appears in Audacity.
- This is a companion list to the Release Checklist
- This is a companion list to the Documentation Checklist
- Tweak all wording of built-in 'innertext:' help in file HelpText.cpp, including:
- [GA] adding some help text for export
- [GA] add text to 'innertext:recording' page about enabling monitoring.
- In inner text for unsupported file format, remove reference to FLAC being unsupported.
- [RA] Update the to distinguish between 1.3 and 1.2. In particular, remove reference to 1.3 importing multiple files from command line into the same Project, unless fixed before release (See Aim to for details).
- Release note for loss of second imported track in Project after crash or loss of entire Project if second track is edited. Unless this is fixed before release.
It is suggested that screen reader users may miss an "OK" button to dismiss the "About Audacity" and "Welcome Message" (though they can do so with ESC).
"OK...Audacious!" - GA
"OK" - JC. Let's keep it simple on the first screen.
"Start and stop must be postive and greater than 0"
"Start and stop must be greater than 0"
Audio CD warning
"(" is an audio CD file. \nAudacity does not open this type of file.\nTry ripping it to a native audio format that Audacity can import.")"
"Native" is often meaningless to novices.
"(" is an audio CD track. \nAudacity cannot open audio CDs directly.\nPlease extract the CD tracks to an audio format that Audacity can import, like WAV or AIFF.")"
WMA files warning
"(" is a Windows Media Audio file. \nAudacity cannot open this type of file to due to patent restrictions.\nYou need to convert it to a supported audio format.")"
Suggested replacement to remove typo
"(" is a Windows Media Audio file. \nAudacity cannot open this type of file due to patent restrictions.\nYou need to convert it to a supported audio format.")"
"(" is an encrypted audio file, typically from an online music store. \nAudacity cannot open this type of file due to the encryption.\nYou need to convert it to a supported, unencrypted audio format.")"
"(" is an encrypted audio file, typically from an online music store. \nAudacity cannot open this type of file due to the encryption.\nTry recording the file into Audacity, or burn it to audio CD then\n extract the CD track to a supported audio format like WAV or AIFF.")"
It would be better to standardise the other warnings, so:
(" is an Advanced Audio Coding file. \nAudacity cannot open this type of file due to patent restrictions.\nYou need to convert it to a supported audio format.")
(" is a RealPlayer file. \nAudacity cannot open this type of file due to patent restrictions. \nYou need to convert it to a supported audio format.")
Default temporary directory:
Auto save interval:
"Auto save every [ ] minutes"
None if [MM] changes autosave to strict interval saving as per aim-to. Wording needs changing if strict interval saving not implemented. Suggested would be "Auto Save interval" (fudge).
Interface tab Behaviors
"Quit Audacity upon closing last window"
"Closing last window starts new empty Project"
This would remove user confusion with this Preference BUT means reversing the checkbox mapping. An alternative (better than what we have now):
"Any close/exit command completely quits Audacity". GA (if checkbox reversal not done) and JC.
Discussion of behaviour/wording JC:Is it true? If we have two project windows open? GA: Yes it's true - if there are unsaved changes you get the dialogue as many times as you have windows open. If changes are saved, Audacity quits without further ado. JC: What is the confusion? What do users think it means? GA: They don't understand distinction between "quit" and "close", or don't understand at all, so turn the preference off, then get annoyed that e.g. ALT + F4 refuses to quit the program. JC: Aha. Thanks for the clarification.
"Circular track keyboard navigation"
"\"Move track focus\" cycles repeatedly through tracks" - JC and GA
"Select all audio, if none selected, on applying effect"
"Select all audio in project, if none selected" - JC and GA
Save Changes? Dialogue with empty Project
Make Cancel to be the default button, not Yes (Yes as default is too dangerous). Then change text of dialogue thus:
"To save the tracks you previously had, click cancel, restore the tracks using undo, and then save"
"To save the tracks that were previously open, click Cancel (highlighted), Edit > Undo until all your tracks are open, then File > Save Project"
- Dependencies dialogue: The former "Close" and "Skip" buttons now both read "Do not copy any audio".
- Export Multiple progress dialogue: "Exporting the entire project as a WAV/AIFF file" or (for MP3) "exporting the entire file..." now changed to "Exporting entire project" with (filename) in the dialogue title and (format) above the progress bar.
- Latency Shift Dialogue: In "I have brought it back to start at zero", "I have" has been replaced with "Audacity has".
- Preferences: Interface tab: "Tracks &fit vertically zoomed" changed to "Automatically &fit tracks vertically zoomed"