From Audacity Wiki
|Bug 35: Occasionally unreliable importing of WAV and AIFF files. Details | Edit|
The Bug Cluster
|35||P5||RESOLVED||Occasionally unreliable importing of WAV and AIFF files||35|
- What is the approximate frequency of the bug reports now?
- One per month as at Apr 2011
- Is the user trying to open multiple projects simultaneously?
- A single file in a single project will trigger it
- Is it just Mac?
- Which fix of Michael's is talked about in comment 24?
- It's the one for importing 16 bit audio into a 24 bit project.
- Is it OD related or not?
We won't always paste extracts, due to redundant work involved, but these ones seemed especially useful. JC
- Gale : (03Apr2011) Could it be an Intel thing? I don't usually have that info, but all of the reports in the last 6 months (after those OS X 10.6.x crashes stopped happening) and where the processor is stated, are on Intel.
- Gale : (Relaying user) I waited for audacity to load up then I selected the safer import method whilst unchecking ALL the boxes in the "effects" panel. That solved everything. The import problem and the slow start up.
- Richard (13Mar2011): It's worth flagging up that we aren't running the latest libsndfile in Audacity SVN by some margin, so we are missing out on some potential fixes there.
- Gale (13Feb2011): Two of the five most recent reports are from people who find this issue semi-repeatable (i.e. it will happen every month or two) but other people don't see it at all (I have not, since Michael's fixes).
- Gale (11Feb2011): To me, it's also significant that once the issue starts, it tends to continue until reboot (or sometimes restart of Audacity) with any WAV or AIFF (not necessarily ones written by Audacity). A glance at my notes shows about 15 people who say this (out of 70 odd).
- Gale (29Dec2009): Erratic import behaviour with WAV and AIFF has been reported since 1.3.7. Michael fixed a specific problem November09 when importing 16-bit WAV/AIFF into 24-bit projects when Preferences were set to copy in the data. However that wasn't 100% replicable for me on Windows (before that fix, 16-bit WAVs from a CD ripper would sometimes import OK into "copy in" 24-bit projects).