Completed Proposal WAV exports to have Format Options
|Proposal pages help us get from feature requests into actual plans. This page is a proposal to add Format Options to the WAV Export dialog|
Proposal pages are used on an ongoing basis by the Audacity development team and are open to edits from visitors to the wiki. They are a good way to get community feedback on a proposal.
- Note: Proposals for Google Summer of Code projects are significantly different in structure, are submitted via Google's web app and may or may not have a corresponding proposal page.
It is hard for users to find the "non-standard" WAV exports such as 24-bit and other more obscure WAV exports as they are hidden away under the dropdown option Other Uncompressed Files.
In contrast we have two WAV Exports clearly visible and selectable (discoverable) in the Save as type dropdown menu is themenus.
- Replace the 16-bt WAV and 32-bit WAV options in the "Save as type" dialog with a single "WAV" entry.
- Make the various WAV options selectable via the "Format Options" when WAV is the Export type.
- 16-bit WAV to be the default.
- Trim the "Save as type" dropdown for "Other uncompressed files of the WAV options.
- A user on the Forum who needed 24-bit WAV exports for archival purposes could not discover how to do this. See this Forum thread. This is merely a recent example, there have been many others in the past.,,
1) In the Export Audio dialog (accessed via) or indeed any of the specific audio file format options (they all bring up the same dialog - just with different entries in the "Save as type" selection box and provide different appropriate extensions) replace the WAV (Microsoft) signed 16-bitPCM and WAV (Microsoft) 32-bit float PCM options in the Save as type dialog with a single generic WAV (Microsoft) entry.
2) When WAV (Microsoft) is selected (default for or ) in the Format Options box where it currently says "No format specific options" provide a form of dialog the enables the user to choose the specific type of WAV export that they require. This dialog to embody the choices for WAV Encoding in the "Format options" for Other uncompressed files.
3) WAV (Microsoft) signed 16-bitPCM to be the default choice in that Format Options box.
4) With Other uncompressed files selected as the Save as type remove all the WAV export options from the Format Options as these should now be handled by the above.
- If this step is done then we have to consider what the initial use default file-type will be on Windows machines (and Linux?) for "Other uncompressed files"
Previous Feature Requests relating to this proposal
- Export File window:
- (2.x) Options too undiscoverable/hard to remember/fiddly to access (11 votes)