Other Open Source Audio and Audio-Visual Applications
|This page provides links to projects and products that are related in functionality to Audacity.|
These are all Open Source projects, so the applications are all free to download and use and additionally the source code can be obtained.
Other Open Source Audio Software
SOX (Sound Exchange) is a great command-line tool for converting between different audio formats and applying certain effects.
TiMidity can turn a MIDI file into a wav file that can then be edited with Audacity. The application is Open Source. An easy to install Windows version of Timidity is available .
You can use soundfonts from sites like (which has Open Source sound samples and soundfonts) to customize instrument sounds in Timidity.
To create MIDI and karaoke files yourself, you can use some of the abc notation tools such as . Other abc notation tools let you convert midi back to abc (midi2abc) or create sheet music (abcm2ps) for viewing and printing.
|TiMidity is currently required on Linux if you wish to play Note tracks (MIDI and Allegro files) with Audacity.|
Mixx is free cross-platform digital DJ mixing software with features like automatic BPM matching and seamless looping.
Gramofile is a free tool for capturing and cleaning recordings from vinyl records.
Open Source Audio-Visual Software
- Blender is a free, cross-platform 3D content creation suite for animations, interactive applications and video games.
- VLC media player is a free, cross-platform media player for most audio and video files as well as DVD, Audio CD and VCD. VLC can also send, save and convert audio and video streams.
- MediaInfo is a free, cross-platform tag and codec analyzer for audio and video files.
- Avidemux for Windows, Mac OS X (Intel) and Linux
- HyperEngine-AV for Mac OS X (PPC)
- Cinelerra for Linux
See also these pages containing links to other related applications (these are not all open source and a few are non-free):