Proposal Dither Changes
From Audacity Wiki
|Proposal pages help us get from feature requests into actual plans. This proposal page is about changes to dithering and track formats.|
Proposal pages are used on an ongoing basis by the Audacity development team and are open to edits from visitors to the wiki. They are a good way to get community feedback on a proposal.
- Note: Proposals for Google Summer of Code projects are significantly different in structure, are submitted via Google's web app and may or may not have a corresponding proposal page.
- Add an auto-detect of float that is really 24 bit / 16 bit / 8 bit and so does not need dither.
- Possibly this feature has some sensitivity preference for truncation 'without loss'.
- Possibly this feature is also exposed in a new analyse effect, which annotates audio by its actual bit depth.
- Lose the TCP track-format and default-format settings.
- If audio is processed by Audacity, it typically upgrades to float automatically (unless autodetect says it is still 16 bit).
- Add explicit export dither options
- Dither: [Auto (default) / Shaped / Triangle / Rectangle / None]
- This also fixes Bug 1572
- Add an explicit dither effect.
- This could do an automatic downgrade to 16 bit, if dithering to 16 bit, if we want it to.
- Possibly give some effects more efficient versions when working to 16 bit, from 16 bit data.