Proposal Effect Presets
|Proposal pages help us get from feature requests into actual plans. This proposal page is about improving the effects presets system.|
Proposal pages are used on an ongoing basis by the Audacity development team and are open to edits from visitors to the wiki. They are a good way to get community feedback on a proposal.
- Note: Proposals for Google Summer of Code projects are significantly different in structure, are submitted via Google's web app and may or may not have a corresponding proposal page.
- Display the name of a named user preset when it is loaded.
- Indicate in this display area when a named user preset has been altered.
Currently, when a named user preset is loaded there is no indication of this.
I believe it would be useful to the user to know this. I also think the user should be alerted when they have altered a named user preset.
- The display of the user preset would be a static text field
- Loading of named user presets would continue to be done through the Manage button
- When a named user preset is altered by the user, the display:
- could change to "unnamed"
- could add an asterisk to the end of the name
The static text field displaying the loaded user preset name would be part of Audacity's "addition" to AU, VST, LADSPA and LV2 effects.
In my brief investigation of user presets it appears that the current system for saving and loading user presets for third-party effects is robust. In the case of Blue Cat VST effects (which have their own system for saving and loading presets), saving an Audacity preset based on a Blue Cat preset results in a display of the Blue Cat preset name in their preset menu. In the case of AU effects, the correct parameters are loaded. AU "factory presets" appear in the Manage > Factory Presets, and new User Presets can be created and recalled. AU effects to not, it appears, display the name of a preset.