Proposal Multi-event Timer Record
From Audacity Wiki
|Proposal pages help us get from feature requests into actual plans. This page is a proposal to add multi-event scheduling to Timer Record|
Proposal pages are used on an ongoing basis by the Audacity development team and are open to edits from visitors to the wiki. They are a good way to get community feedback on a proposal.
- Note: Proposals for Google Summer of Code projects are significantly different in structure, are submitted via Google's web app and may or may not have a corresponding proposal page.
One of the long-standing feature requests lodged in the Wiki is for a multi-event Timer Record with a scheduler like a PVR/DVR or VCR.
- Add a multi-event and repeat-event facility.
- Requires a GUI scheduler tool
- Peter Sampson: I no longer support the "Multi-Event Timer" as technology has moved on a bit since this proposal was written. Most PVR's will enable you to tune in to and record with multi-event timing radio programmes - and there are devices available that will reliably capture web "radio" broadcasts in multi-event mode (my Cocktail X30 is a good example). Following discussions with Vaughan at AU14 and subsequently, I withdrew my support for this proposal. Not least because modern PVRs/DVRs do that job rather well already (they didn't do is so well back in 2011 when I first put that proposal together). Yes there are a number of votes for that in Wiki>Feature Requests, 23 in fact. That is a significant number but most of those votes were already present when I drafted the proposal in 2011. In recent years I don't rexall seein recent votes on the Forum for this enhancement.
- James by email 02Apr16: Ah, OK, so maybe less demand for multiple recordings than I thought. I'd quarrel with the argument you need to untangle the multi-project-wormcan in order to do it. As long as the projects are saved and closed before the next one starts recording, there is no need. It would be nice to untangle the worm-can too, but it isn't a prerequisite.
- Gale by email 02Apr16: I haven't updated the Timer Record votes from Forum and other places for a while, but have now done so. This is the changes FWIW: https://wiki.audacityteam.org/w/index.php?title=Feature_Requests&diff=28072&oldid=28070 from which you'll see the "PVR" request has attracted more votes and is still the leading Timer Record request. The interesting one that has got some new traction is a way to recall the last used date/time (not just duration) which I suppose is also a bit like a PVR. I differ a little in emphasis from James in that if we do a multi-event scheduler I think it will be much more functional if not restricted by one-project-only-must-be-clean. But I also agree it will be hard to compete with specialised devices or software that can record different streams at the same time.
- User is restricted to a single event timer - users will be familiar with the use of VRC/PVR all of which have multi-event and repeat-event timer functionality, and so expect similar in Audacity. Necessary for capturing audio while away on vacation/business trip.
- Multi-event scheduler: Timer Record to be enabled to set multiple timed recording events.
- Existing dialog box should easily accommodate this with some minor upgrades (see below).
- Would need to check for and block any recording overlap.
- Would probably require an additional window listing the queued recording events with tools to manage and manipulate the event entries. This would also apply to a single, sole, event.
- Would really require an auto-save at the successful completion of a recording event, to a user-specified project name and location. Would need to be specified at event set-up which would require extensions to the setup dialog box.
- Some users may prefer to force an Auto-Export to WAV format, to a user-specified file name & location, on successful completion (in preference to Saving a project). We should endeavour to accommodate this. Would also require extensions to the setup dialog box.
- Repeat-event functionality to be added to the setup dialog to enable recording events at regular repeat intervals (e.g. daily, weekly, etc.).
Existing Feature Requests
- Multi-event scheduler (32 votes 27Mar20) for future recordings (like a VCR), not just scheduling a single recording for now