Completed Proposal New Logo
|Proposal pages help us get from feature requests into actual plans. This page is a proposal for a new logo.|
Proposal pages are used on an ongoing basis by the Audacity development team and are open to edits from visitors to the wiki. They are a good way to get community feedback on a proposal.
- Note: Proposals for Google Summer of Code projects are significantly different in structure, are submitted via Google's web app and may or may not have a corresponding proposal page.
|We frequently get proposals for new logos, icons or themes. Some were posted below, however the "master list" where all artwork proposals can be seen is now at https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=83108.|
- Update the logo and icon to a more modern look
- Peter 24Feb10: I consulted on this a short while back with an ex-colleague of mine who has been a marketer with major corporations responsible for brand identity (her husband is an Audacity user - so she knows it).
- She commented that she thinks the ideogram is absolutely fine as it is - has good brand recognition qualities.
- But she would change the "Audacity" wording to a more modern type-face, in particular she recommends losing the seriphs, which she says make it look old-fashioned.
- James and Vaughan are in favour of a more modern icon/logo, taking an evolutionary approach, i.e. not a radical change. In particular both strongly support a move from serif font to sans.
- For background ask/discuss on the talk page.
- Windows 7 which uses larger icons on the taskbar was put forward as one motivator for a new icon, though the higher resolution icons introduced in 1.3.11 now look fine when larger icons are enabled on modern Windows.
Example logos or icons
We frequently get proposals for new logos or icons. For the time being this section can be used to host example images or links to images so that we can compare and contrast.
- New logo proposals from Chris F. - Evolutionary change, slightly thicker headband, slightly less 3D (matching the letters better).
- New logo font proposal from James. - Evolutionary change, taking one small step.
- Icon from deviant art by ManjiXIV - Has sky/clouds background, black headphones with pink line-audio. More splash-screen than icon.
- Logo by skinnybonez - 3D rendered black headphones (seen at an angle) with 3D light-blue audio between. More splash-screen than icon.
- Logo by ayrtondenner - Logo, icon and Metro (Windows 8) icon.
New Themes (sometimes including new Logo)
Putting some links to themes here, as this is the page people will be directed to when looking for new themes or logos, or lettering.
- Audacity Redesign Concept by Julian Dorn and Leon Schlechriem. A video is at http://vimeo.com/70073128.
- Peter 4Oct14: note that this redesign has similarities to the "Simplified Audacity" concept that Vaughan has been working on and demonstrated at AU14.
- Theme and Logo by Lucas Romero Di Benedetto A spiky new icon/logo, and black-and-orange Blender-like dark theme. Mock up.
- One of three themes by Harry Cameron. Uses the original theming mechanism.
- Greg Hardesty's dark theme. Uses bolder icons. Uses the original theming mechanism.