Proposal Single Splash
|Proposal pages help us get from feature requests into actual plans. This page is a proposal to eliminate most of the dialogs at startup.|
Proposal pages are used on an ongoing basis by the Audacity development team and are open to edits from visitors to the wiki. They are a good way to get community feedback on a proposal.
- Note: Proposals for Google Summer of Code projects are significantly different in structure, are submitted via Google's web app and may or may not have a corresponding proposal page.
When starting Audacity we may get:
- A Register Effects Screen
- A Splash Screen
- An Automatic Crash Recovery Screen
- And an 'Are you sure you want to discard all projects' screen.
- Several "do you want to load mod-some-name" if they were set to 'ask'.
- A "Welcome" dialog.
It's information overload and creates a bad impression. There are too many modal dialogs, too much clutter that has to be dismissed one by one.
- Amalgamate all of these into one screen.
- Use Splash screen if no other information to show.
- Use customised "Welcome" dialog otherwise.
- Shows "Crashed project/projects available to recover..." link if there was one, with tickbox for 'delete it/them'.
- Shows a "New Effects were found..." link if there were any
- Shows a "New Modules were found..." link if there were any
- Shows the standard Welcome dialog "How to Get Help" information, if configured to do so.
- Tickbox for "Show 'How to Get Help' at startup"
If you click close without ticking 'delete it/them' or following the 'crashed project(s)' link and recovering them, then you get a follow up dialog to make sure you realise there are projects to recover. If you click delete them, before close, then they are gone. If you follow the link, you get to see what they are and can recover them if you want. This sounds more complex than it is. Although I don't particularly need the belts and braces, the set up preserves the current behaviour of two actions to actually delete the recoverable projects.
If you click close without following the new effects/modules link, that's fine. The new effects/modules won't be loaded this time. Ideally you would be able to do that later in the session in any case.
- James Crook: (not planning to do it for 2.1.0 as there is too much else on).
- We could duplicate the language preference on the Welcome dialog, if the interface is not in English, as it's hard to find it if the interface is in a language you don't understand.
- There is also a case for doing something similar with certain warnings on export. E.g:
- Leading white space as silence? yes/no [don't ask again]
- Mix down? yes/no [don't ask again]
- This will clip! cancel/go ahead [don't ask again]
- You're awfully close to your disk limit! cancel/go ahead [don't ask again]
- Some channels muted! I-Know/Oops [don't ask again]
- Labels won't be exported! I-don't-care/Help! [don't ask again]