Release Notes 2.3.1
|Audacity 2.3.1 will be released on 8th March 2019.
Size and Checksums
audacity-win-2.3.1.exe application/x-msdownload) SHA-256 c3f35f2061473433cd545145d9018dab600ed6806a4a3de7e04cc5e8875b1966 audacity-win-2.3.1.zip application/x-zip-compressed) SHA-256 6be81567fe97446eb591910f82d7a6c7a4469ef1e2926a7344cee74db44772af audacity-macos-2.3.1.dmg (n/a) SHA-256 cfce59cf73a8339c92d2246de7834df803a889563bd4c5b8bd4ef5fd3fd46553 audacity-minsrc-2.3.1.tar.xz (n/a) SHA-256 f99f198a4d653aeee1f8967670f3edb4f74a81393bb14479d969f8aef9cdf923 audacity-manual-2.3.1.zip (application/x-zip-compressed) SHA-256 235dc2cde337245d652033df46dce310aec3b3a213cc760764046d1b3afcf8a7
Changes and improvements since previous version
Audacity 2.3.1 replaces all previous versions.
- Audacity now supports 64-bit Mac.
- Over 20 bugs fixed since 2.3.0, including:
- A crashing bug on Linux that made Audacity 2.3.0. unsuitable for Linux.
- Crash on Mac when right clicking on label.
- Problems with Change Pitch, including not remembering parameter values.
- Options and preferences:
- Microfades are now an opt-in feature. They were always on in 2.3.0.
- The advanced vertical zooming option is now available in the View->Zoom menu.
- Regular interval labels now support range labels.
Full details of new features in the visual guide to New Features in 2.3.1
- Audacity 2.3.1 requires the CPU to support the SSE2 instruction set which should be available on any Intel hardware produced after 2001 and any AMD hardware produced after 2003.
- 2.3.1 does not support Windows XP.
- You may try 2.2.2 on XP, but it is unsupported.
- Audacity 2.3.1 is for Intel Macs running OS X 10.7 and later and macOS.
- There are legacy versions for older OS X at http://audacityteam.org/download/legacy-mac/.
- Linux support is tested on Ubuntu Linux.
- Audacity may compile on Gentoo, Debian, Mint.
- Audacity does not currently compile on SuSE Linux.
Interactive Buglist Page
We probably track more bugs than you are interested in...
On the dynamic buglist page you can select to view:
- Complete list of bugs in 2.3.0 that we have fixed for 2.3.1
- Known bugs on the OS you use Mac, Windows or Linux.
- Known bugs to do with accessibility or localization.
- Workarounds for some bugs.
- Serious bugs and less serious bugs.
You can choose various combinations of these. However, there are probably too many minor bugs and too much detail on that dynamic buglist page for most users.
We do use this detail in our own QA work.
- Below are listed what we believe are the most common and important issues with 2.3.1 for most users.
- Far less of Audacity is properly accessible to visually impaired users than we would like. Currently the best supported platform for accessibility is Windows. We lost a lot of custom accessibility programming when we had to move to a more recent version of the wxWidgets library.
- Audacity is only partially translated in many languages. We also have some issues, for example, with Right-To-Left Languages.
Selected Bugzilla-Tracked Bugs
|ID||P||Status||Summary (2 tasks) ⇒||ID|
|276||P3||NEW||Linux: PULSE-AUDIO issues. Freeze repeatedly starting/stopping streams.||276|
|1657||P3||RESOLVED||Windows: DirectSound Sound Activated Recording does not record correctly or pauses permanently after 12 seconds||1657|
- Click on the bug numbers to see work done on these bugs.