Release Notes 3.0.0
|Audacity 3.0.0 was released on 1st Apr 2025.
audacity-win-3.0.0rc05.exe (application/x-msdownload) - 29379816 bytes SHA-256 d767acfa3ea92b23cfa8b419e9a0ecb0adecaa9478f981427985faee580271e7 audacity-macos-3.0.0rc05.dmg (n/a) - 41326838 bytes SHA-256 4d2d6d695aa1ea9bb25b5083c31fa57fc5bc53750977a218f2d0a3ad6f88518b audacity-minsrc-3.0.0rc05.tar.xz (n/a) - 13308608 bytes SHA-256 d57a6619f857c07de873d4f53389ae57b480901c2faa4f79801985f9f1daa2f1 audacity-manual-3.0.0rc05.zip (application/x-zip-compressed) - 23102002 bytes SHA-256 77d6a2bf4155568d0983608d0a232f404c64f0d200303a46ee158cf8ff79a764 audacity-win-3.0.0rc05.zip (application/x-zip-compressed) - 12507490 bytes SHA-256 f7681aa47b1fe51aac8a21e3c81df7399f089c74eed5066dd3073edbf5f2cb06
Changes and improvements since previous version
Audacity 3.0.0 replaces all previous versions.
- Over 150 bugs fixed since 2.4.2
Full details of new features in the visual guide to New Features in 3.0.0
- Audacity 3.0.0 requires the CPU to support the SSE2 instruction set which should be available on any Intel hardware produced after 2001 and any AMD hardware produced after 2003.
- 3.0.0 does not support Windows XP.
- You may try 2.2.2 on XP, but it is unsupported.
- Audacity 3.0.0 is for Intel Macs running OS X 10.7 and later and macOS.
- There are legacy versions for older OS X at http://audacityteam.org/download/legacy-mac/.
- Linux support is tested on Ubuntu Linux.
- Audacity may compile on Gentoo, Debian, Mint.
- Audacity does not currently compile on SuSE Linux.
Interactive Buglist Page
We probably track more bugs than you are interested in...
On the dynamic buglist page you can select to view:
- Complete list of bugs in 2.4.2 that we have fixed for 3.0.0
- Known bugs on the OS you use Mac, Windows or Linux.
- Known bugs to do with accessibility or localization.
- Workarounds for some bugs.
- Serious bugs and less serious bugs.
You can choose various combinations of these. However, there are probably too many minor bugs and too much detail on that dynamic buglist page for most users.
We do use this detail in our own QA work.
- Below are listed what we believe are the most common and important issues with 3.0.0 for most users.
- Less of Audacity is properly accessible to visually impaired users than we would like. Currently the best supported platform for accessibility is Windows. We lost a lot of custom accessibility programming when we had to move to a more recent version of the wxWidgets library.
- Audacity is only partially translated in many languages. We also have some issues, for example, with Right-To-Left Languages.
Selected Bugzilla-Tracked Bugs
|ID||P||Status||Summary (2 tasks) ⇒||ID|
|2672||P2||NEW||Plug-ins listed in reverse alphabetic order in Plug-ins Manager||2672|
|2452||P2||NEW||Enh: De-clutter Plug-in Manager||2452|
- Click on the bug numbers to see work done on these bugs.