Release Notes 3.0.0
|Audacity 3.0.0 was released on 17th Mar 2021.
audacity-win-3.0.0.exe (application/x-msdownload) - 29378296 bytes SHA-256 6a0cfed327b00cf8fefef4bd5c8ba85b5364f3e56345772410572f2d821ca14d audacity-macos-3.0.0.dmg (n/a) - 41328807 bytes SHA-256 f769a9e8c0f2352171933339681616ddab43ca6d7b688918e5af8bd1382a0fad audacity-minsrc-3.0.0.tar.xz (n/a) - 13308836 bytes SHA-256 d3bb1358b930ea4ef935ed83cc5a0f47006565762c5667c2fb376c6535876a6a audacity-win-3.0.0.zip (application/x-zip-compressed) - 12507745 bytes SHA-256 63c23df0731d02327ca964f01e0bd2ff533fa189ef18402e29c3e3992038217d audacity-manual-3.0.0.zip (application/x-zip-compressed) - 23118171 bytes SHA-256 9e3ab6ae3455db8be98e26cc09d90a89901e37b8eca671949f9959bbc1c7c2e8
Changes and improvements since previous version
Audacity 3.0.0 replaces all previous versions.
- Over 150 bugs fixed since 2.4.2
Full details of new features in the visual guide to New Features in 3.0.0
- Audacity 3.0.0 requires the CPU to support the SSE2 instruction set which should be available on any Intel hardware produced after 2001 and any AMD hardware produced after 2003.
- 3.0.0 does not support Windows XP.
- You may try 2.2.2 on XP, but it is unsupported.
- Audacity 3.0.0 is for Intel Macs running OS X 10.7 and later and macOS.
- There are legacy versions for older OS X at http://audacityteam.org/download/legacy-mac/.
- Linux support is tested on Ubuntu Linux.
- Audacity may compile on Gentoo, Debian, Mint.
- Audacity does not currently compile on SuSE Linux.
Interactive Buglist Page
We probably track more bugs than you are interested in...
On the dynamic buglist page you can select to view:
- Complete list of bugs in 2.4.2 that we have fixed for 3.0.0
- Known bugs on the OS you use Mac, Windows or Linux.
- Known bugs to do with accessibility or localization.
- Workarounds for some bugs.
- Serious bugs and less serious bugs.
You can choose various combinations of these. However, there are probably too many minor bugs and too much detail on that dynamic buglist page for most users.
We do use this detail in our own QA work.
- Below are listed what we believe are the most common and important issues with 3.0.0 for most users.
- Less of Audacity is properly accessible to visually impaired users than we would like. Currently the best supported platform for accessibility is Windows. We lost a lot of custom accessibility programming when we had to move to a more recent version of the wxWidgets library.
- Audacity is only partially translated in many languages. We also have some issues, for example, with Right-To-Left Languages.
Selected Bugzilla-Tracked Bugs
|ID||P||Status||Summary (2 tasks) ⇒||ID|
|2452||P2||NEW||Enh: De-clutter Plug-in Manager||2452|
|2672||P3||RESOLVED||Plug-ins listed in reverse alphabetic order in Plug-ins Manager||2672|
- Click on the bug numbers to see work done on these bugs.