ToDo: Automated Pdf
From Audacity Wiki
|This page is for keeping track of bugs in Automation project.
Draft manual pdf v0.2
We are now at V0.4
I could work forever on improving the pdf manual. My thinking is that we use the drafts to decide on our intended uses - e.g. for foreign language FAQ. Then we prioritise the fixes accordingly.
- I'm also separating tweaks/changes which live in the engine and those that need custom work in the text
Page numbers are examples of issue for that version. For Auto-formatting, fixing one should fix all occurrences.
The current script is generic, in that it can/should convert any wiki, given a toc.
In supporting new custom styles we need to
- Ensure the style is applied consistently in the wiki. (easiest when using templates)
- Provide LaTeX equivalents for the style.
- Include it in a conversion customisation file.
Fixes By Hand
- Custom front page needed.
- 2 wiki pages which did not import even after script changes need attention.
- Tweaking image sizes. For image families, this could be a mix of wiki custom classes and informing script about them, so both by hand and script to fix.
- Support more custom styles.
- Nyquist script should have its own format set off from other text. p367
- Remove forward and Back FAQ links (mark as not pdf). p100
- Remove links section of effects pages (mark as not pdf). p353
- Batch processing commands could benefit from their own style. p551
- Glossary entries could benefit from their own style. p556
- One-column style for GNU GPL. p562
- Help button in running text, either shrink it or make it a floating image with text flow around it. Beware, it is often in a bulletted list, so formatting may need to be list-aware. p8
- Mocked up snippets from dialogs, e.g. checkbox and drop down examples, lack the grey background. This should be a non breaking box, given some uses are currently line broken. p17, p56
- "This is a comment and will be ignored" got through into final doc. p457
- Long bullet lists should use tighter spacing. p483
- toc tweaks.
- Resolve unicode symbol unsupported in pdf issues, e.g. for Mac cloverleaf, by using images instead.
- Custom page breaking on some large images, e.g. of very long menus. p301, p466
- Image captions not bound to images, but rather placed in table cells, resulting in misplaced captions (e.g. for theme images), when the script breaks the tables apart.
- In wiki we sometimes have previews or summary tables prior to going into detail. That needs rethink/redesign for good looking pdf.
Fixes By Auto-Formatting
- Imagemaps are not hyperlinked.
- Switch from Times New Roman to a modern sans font (Helvetica).
- Long lines overflow into next column. p100
- A possible solution is to auto-detect URL like things and apply LaTeX \seqsplit to them.
- URLs that link out of the document are not supported. Particularly relevant for the Wikipedia links in glossary.
- Hyperref supports these links being in a different colour, and I intend to do so.
- Empty first entry in some item lists. p31