ToDo: For What is That
|Automation Progress: "What is That?" Audacity Manual page
- Initial work
- Likely to use canvas.
- Repainting canvas completely looks to be fast enough that we don't need to be smarter.
- Proposal page set up with some mock ups.
- Design concept for annotation interaction properly worked out.
- Png images captured for the very very basics.
- Image and manual-contents iframe positioned and sized.
- Sub areas (e.g. support annotation of buttons within toolbars, sliders within TCP)
- Drawing of menu bar menus.
- Refine menu bar clicking/highlighting.
- Basic linkage of regions to html.
- Linkage alternatives, e.g. 'Track Menu' has two targets.
- This affects tooltips. We have two tooltips with the same 'key', but they are matched up correctly.
- Capture local copies of wiki/manual html for right hand side-strip.
- Spec file creation
- Python script for html file conversion for side-strip (using beautiful soup approach)
Python script for spec file creation (initial work is semi automated, semi by hand)By hand, but helped by automation.
- Entry in spec file for Menubar. Added by hand, not automatic.
- Toolbar/Buttons Areas/Subareas Spec File
- TrackPanel Areas/Subareas Spec File
- Menus Spec File
- Spec files.
- Spec file containing the Audacity menu information.
Spec files for annotation locations.Compute annotation locations.
- Spec file for main toolbar areas.
- Spec file for sub areas.
- Spec file for image cache.
- Auto generate caption list from spec file.
Compute slide location from area location.Add slide anchor names.
- Implement annotation arrows
- Name of subdomain discussed and agreed.
- Host it at wit.audactityteam.org
- Reset does not work when in a menu item.
- Workaround whole-site caching issue. used a version number in the path
- Workaround CORS wiki caching issue. used a timestamp in the to-wiki request
- Menu image maps have approximate hotspots, the right width, but location can be out slightly.
- Toolbar and menu image maps require clicking around to generate them, prior to capture.
- Toolbar image maps may link to the 'wrong' item where two items like 'Cut' have the same name. (one cut is for audio, one is for labels).
- Export for manual.
- Choose for-manual or for-WIT version of annotations.
- The menu layout changes between the two. The manual needs a more compressed format.
- Export Current image
- This works for toolbars, menus and the all-in-one numbered front page.
- Export Complete Annotation imagemap
- Export Complete Menu imagemap
- Export Complete Keyboard reference
- Export Complete Automation reference
- Dynamic loader
- Developer's version - jumps into code behind the feature.
- This is using a list of Doxygen SHAS to get to the doxygen documentation of functions in the menus.
- Many further extensions are possible to better support developers learning about Audacity.
- Experiment with what-is-that for Audacity architecture.
- This is based on AOSA book chapter.
- Styling with new website theme.
- Audacity preferences panels.
- All 3 regions in the status bar.
- (optional) Numbers on the main screen.
- Drawing of track menu and other context menus.
- More image maps
- Separately show general URLs and Doxygen URL.
Export files as zip (using zip.js)Support multiple (local) file downloads. It's as fast and more convenient.
- Reset button. (Can also click on title bar instead).
- Pull manual pages directly from the wiki, rather than rely on a previously wiki2html converted copy as the base.
- Smarter CSS that handles both wide and narrow screens.
- (Optional) Push generated pages to the wiki, especially the tables like Automation and Shortcuts.
- Auto-walk the menu and toolbar image maps, to generate the hit regions correctly.
- Zoom-In images, where a click may take you into a new diagram with more detail.
- It is possible, and would be nice for this to be animated.
- This could also allow us to have toolbars closer to the edge, and still annotate them on both sides.
- Implement effects (transitions)
- Annotation system flexibility
- Greater flexibility in the menu generation
- Compact format for long-menus like effects.
Auto-detect menu being hidden, and reposition it.Ensure menu is drawn even if partly hidden.
- Merge the menu system and the annotation label system by making both more flexible.
- Different styles of menu, such as sunburst
- User menu feature
- Shaped regions, not just rectangles.
- I'd like to do this with a colour-by-numbers approach as it makes producing complex diagrams much easier.
- Reverse linkings
Merger of static-wiki with WIT
All the image map diagrams in wiki could become dynamic WIT style image maps. Rather than have a WIT copy of the manual and separately an online static copy, they could be one and the same.
Developer's Version (content)
The manual image map succeeds because there is plenty of content in wiki to support it. You're drilling down not just into names, but into explanations of features. The architectural diagram is sparser. We should look at building up the developer section of the wiki, writing design topics in the wiki for each component of the system. Then we use WIT to provide navigation and a link direct into the doxygenated code.