ToDo: Unstick 'Stuck In a Mode'
From Audacity Wiki
|This page attempts to identify times when a user can easily get stuck in a mode and not know what to do to get out of it
Stuck in a Mode
- Inadvertently get into some special mode.
- Do not know about the mode.
- Do not know how to get out of it.
This new menu item may help some users. It displays 'Fix' buttons for some of the common stuck-in modes (if that mode is active).
- Sound-Activated Recording
- Sync-Lock. Why am I getting all those clocks? Why can't I edit clips individually?
- Snap-To. Why can't I select in smaller units than a second?
- Zoom in far enough and snap-to is cancelled (in DA) which is how most users try to get out of it.
- V-Zoom. Help! My waveform has disappeared.
- It is quite common for users to activate vertical zoom by inadvertently clicking in the vertical ruler - and then being unable to understand how to restore normal vertical zoom
- Short term amelioration
- Two modes for for VZoom
- Simple (default): no left-click zoom, right-click delivers a context menu
- Advanced/Expert: left-click zoom-in and range zoom via drag as 2.2.1 and earlier, right-click delivers a context menu
- Long term improvement
- Consider a VZoom bar OR major overhaul of zooming for rulers.
- Stuck-In-Pause. None of my effects will apply any more.
- Pause now is over-ridden if the user tries to select and apply an effect or other edit
- Select-less. All my effects are grayed out.
- They aren't now, and they prompt you to make a selection.
- Stuck-in-Tool. Wave moves and selection no longer works. Solution will be proper implementation of multi-tool.
- It's too easy to click the buttons unknowingly, worse still, the shortcuts for switching tools in the Tools toolbar are all single keystrokes F1 though F6 (plus A and D when Full set is selected) which makes it far to easy for the inexperienced user to press these and not understand why their view of the waveform has changed and why stuff doesn't work.
- The amelioration is done via Quick-Fix menu, but there are probably other improvements that could help.
- Seems to be pretty common. One recent (Jan 2017) user even realised they were stuck in sound activated recording, and set the volume to -59dB to work around it.
- Another recent user asks 'Why does my recording keep starting and stopping?'.
- We have three ways of invoking scrub/seek: Transport menu, Scrub Ruler and Scrub Toolbar. None of them invokes a form of scrubbing familiar to users of other audio or video editors - and it is too easy to get stuck, too hard to escape from. Redesign (and simplify) the GUI - make it so that releasing the mouse action for scrubbing just stops the scrub - rather than leaving you adrift in scrub mode.
- It's far too easy for the unwary to inadvertently click in the Scrub Ruler and get stuck in Scrubbing (see below). So it should be off by default. Scrubbing is easily "discoverable" via the menu - and the Scrub Ruler is "discoverable" and capable of being turned on in or via the Timeline context menu.}} so we don't need it on by default.
- Longer term, consider removing it altogether - we don't need three ways to invoke scrubbing.
- Overdub is on by default. Newbies usually don't need overdub turned on (unless they are very bold and start our straight off doing multi-track overdubbing). Although we are a "Multi-track editor" - overdubbing is a somewhat advanced piece of functionality. Turn overdub off by default.
- It is too easy to inadvertently create a label with this as the current default is on. In checked "on'" should not be the default.
- Stuck in Show metadata tags before export
In- folk often don't know how to turn it off. Suggest an off switch in the metadata dialog on export.
- Peter 02Nov18: This has been discussed many times (including on the Forum) - it's such a simple fix, why don't we just get on and do it? It surely can't be a contentious thing to do (it would certainly benefit me while QA testing).
- Stuck with no LAME library
- A lot of folk still have trouble locating it - and Buanzo's site has nasty misleading ads with BGBs. Now that the patents have expired we should be able to integrate LAME.
- GUI is a mess.
- Click on the command entry
- then you have to click on (or tab to) the input box
- type your chosen shortcut (and deal with conflicts if necessary)
- The big problem is that the user (Peter: often me included) mistakenly think that "does what it says on the tin" and makes the setting - but no. You have to use OK to set the set (If you just X out of the dialog after step 4 you lose your setting(s) made in that dialog session).
These aren't exactly stuck-in-a-mode, but have similar bad consequences for typical inexperienced Audacity users
- Many users try to open the .au files - many users lose data through renames and other, external to Audacity, manipulations. Solution Proposal Unitary Project
- We shouldn't really be getting these - but when we do users are confused about the courses of action offered to them in the dialog.
- Currently there are two independent curve management options in the Equalization effect. The user is unsure which to use - there should only be one.
- See also: P3 Bug #1722
- Can cause unintended, unnoticed at the time, audio corruption. See Proposal Locking and/or Hiding Pan and Gain sliders
- Using "Save as..." switches Audacity from the current open project to the saved-as project (which could be the staged safety copy)