- A welcome and signposting page. Currently we have Developer_Guide
Instructions for Building Audacity
- Get Building On Windows into an acceptable state.
- Get Building On Mac into an acceptable state.
- Get Building On Linux into an acceptable state.
- Cygwin page taken out of git. It's at Building On Cygwin
Building Instructions On Github
Intention is in Git to have three stripped-down documents on building:
- Windows Git:win/build.txt, was Git:win/compile.txt.
- Linux Git:linux/build.txt, was a section in Git:README.txt
- Mac Git:mac/build.txt, was Git:mac/Build.txt
- INSTALL now signposts the developer to the correct build.txt file.
These build.txt files refer to the wiki for variations/details. One reason for stripped-down build instructions is that we can and will refer to the detailed instructions in wiki, and keep those up to date more easily than we can the instructions in git (which risk being copied and not updated).
There are the three longer corresponding pages on wiki, and can be pages for options where the options wouldn't fit easily on the main page.
- Optional pages could be:
- Obtaining/Installing MSVC2013
- Cygwin (unmaintained) we have Building On Cygwin
- More Windows extras (MSVC property pages, 64 bit, OpenMP).
Each of the three main pages has the full text of the Git instructions. We use the <pre> tag to cut and paste the full text unmodified.
We also will use the optional section of the Building On pages for instructions for building for release. Plunder from:
- Windows Installer and Zip Release_Process/Win. It needs details on signing.
- Linux tarball as link. We have Building Release Tarballs. This is already good.
- Mac dmg we have Release_Process/Mac which is superseded by Building_On_Mac which gives details on signing, for example.
Addressing these may simplify our instructions. Or we may need to add warnings about these as caveats.
Former release note below:
|ID||P||Status||Summary (3 tasks) ⇒||ID|
|1363?||P4||RESOLVED||Enh: Tatsuki Makino proposed configure and makefile patches for autoreconf, system library and header files issues.||1363|
|1528||P4||RESOLVED||Linux: Mod-script-pipe can't be built in a separate build folder||1528|
|1526||P4||RESOLVED||Windows: Mod-script-pipe in release configuration depends on debug wxwidgets DLL's and the script hangs even when such DLL's provided||1526|
- Add a wiki summary page about how we use github. e.g.
- Pull requests are best discussed on audacity-devel. At Using GitHub.
- Install Q2A. And abandoned.
- Invite people to contribute UI design topics, phrased as questions.
- Invite people to contribute Graphic design ideas, as answers to questions such as 'What should our new Logo be?' Q2A allows voting on the logos.
- Launch the alpha-test team initiative.
- Produce tour guide as a pdf, and invite translation.
- Add wiki page to communicate clearly with people who offer new build options e.g.:
- Raspberry Pi
- Ubuntu Snaps
- 64 Bit builds on Windows.
- On that page, explain that
- We don't have the resources to maintain new platforms beyond our standard Mac, Windows, Linux versions ourselves, at this stage.
- We like relatively small changes to our code that widen the range of platforms.
- We are not prepared to pull in new or rapidly changing libraries.
- Communicate our patches to wxWidgets.
- Refine the automake script, particularly with a view to helping Debian.