|The 'What is That?' audacity web page is an interactive help page. It ALSO can be used to generate images and templates for the manual.
Data is in the orange boxes in top left of diagram
To update data, enter it in this wiki, using these pages:
- WIT Audacity Menus - You have a choice between editing the menus directly in wiki, or going to Audacity and using GetInfo to get the current menu information.
- WIT Audacity Tooltips - The short descriptions are used as tooltips. The long descriptions are used as descriptions in the auto generated tables. If a long description starts with '+' that's a shorthand for saying it starts with the short description.
- WIT Audacity Extra Shortcuts - These are the optional extra shortcuts.
WIT for Users
Users of WIT:
- Click on on-screen items in WIT to highlight them and see descriptions of them.
- Click on menu items in WIT to explore the menus and get help on them.
The Shift+Special trick in WIT
WIT produces the contents of the green boxes in the diagram below.
There previously was a lot of repetitive work in generating the contents of the green boxes, which ultimately end up in the Audacity manual. To get into the mode of WIT that does this work,
- Go to WIT using Chrome browser, and hold down shift and press the button at top right.
- Tick 'Enable annotation-capture mode'
Now click about on the menus in the image of Audacity to get to the menu you want, and then clickto download it. If you want all menu images at once, click .
Other buttons generate the tables and templates. The downloaded results will all appear in your Chrome download folder.
From Data to Manual
How image maps, images and tables in the alphamanual are updated.
Automation in Audacity
Audacity can produce some of the other things (blue)
- The Screenshot Tool produces all the Preference Images and EGA images.
- The menu item Extra->Scriptables II->GetInfo with 'Commands' selected generates the (orange) WIT menu page directly from data about menus held within Audacity.
- Audacity scripts in Python can produce many track Images. You can see them here
Wiki bot can ease upload of many files
- Wiki bot is the 'have a cup of coffee' python script that uploads images to the manual.
The manual steps in purple could be automated
I'm working on automating the purple steps. At this stage we have a dynamic preview of updates. You can see some work in progress here:
- Widget:Tabular has the three tables, scripting, keybinding and prefs.
- Widget:MenuTest has all the menus image mapped.
When this addition is completed, the menu images will be easier to handle than via wiki uploads. There will be no need for the go-and-have-a-coffee script to update the menus. I will be able to update them all at once locally (using the WIT get-all-menu-images button) and then copy the lot over to WIT website with a single 'push'. They will then update at the next 11 am after the push.
- Can bypass the cloudflare cache.
- For example, updates to WIT Audacity Menus immediately affect the menus shown in the main image.
- Flexible and responsive.
- We can fetch all 57 menu images from WIT fast, clicking on the browser button. The same images require 57 requests to wiki to fetch using the mw2html script.
- Local manual needs already created images as pngs. It can't draw them on demand.
- Bad for SEO
Avoiding the Cons
We could adjust the python mw2html script so that it fetches menu images and tables from WIT, and places those into the local menu. This would:
- Be faster than fetching the images one by one.
- Make fetching a copy of the manual, including images, very easy and very fast.
- This removes the need for the python script.
We could use the new dynamic pages to check our work. We could then have a single textual page created by WIT to update all tables and images in manual wiki. This would:
- Turn the purple updates into a single step of mandraulically updating ONE special page in the manual.
- Give us previews of the changes, immediately, even when the mandraulic step has not been done.
- Solve the SEO problem (methods 1 and 2 do not)
- Require no change in mw2html.
Method 3 is what we go for. We could later add method 2 as well, as that makes collecting the manual a little easier/faster.