- The JS series & MDA series of VST plugins, (which are old) , wouldn't work properly with Audacity 2.1.0 , see https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1083 for status, it is DEVEL-FIX MADE now.
- The “Antress modern” series of plugins, http://antress.blogspot.co.uk/ do work , but since implementation of real-time-adjustment , you have to stop then start playback for any adjustments to the controls to take effect. This is not on Bugzilla, so needs testing but it could have already been fixed by the fix for https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1084 .
- Free VST effects I have on my machine right now, which I use regularly, so I know are working OK on Audacity 2.1.0:
- Marvel GEQ.dll http://www.voxengo.com/product/marvelgeq/ https://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=13343]A graphic equalizer
- ANWIDA Soft DX Reverb Light.dll http://www.anwida.com/product.asp?pid=7, http://www.anwida.com/dc.asp?file=http://www.anwida.com/progs/asdxrl20.zip&pid=7
- BC Chorus 4 VST(Stereo).dll http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_Chorus/
- Gmulti.dll , Ggate.dll , Gsnap.dll http://www.gvst.co.uk/downloads.htm [ compressor, gate, autotune ].
- SPITFISH.dll http://www.digitalfishphones.com/main.php?item=2&subItem=5 [ a basic de-esser ].
- TB_Sibalance_v3.dll http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-sibalance/ [ a sophisticated de-esser ].
- DtBlkFx.dll http://rekkerd.org/dtblkfx/ A spectral-processor [ capable of weirdness like nothing else ].
- "Acon Multiply" https://acondigital.com/products/multiply/ It does chorus & stereo effects . It has presets, so is simple to operate : ideal for newbies who wants to add effects to vocal / guitar recordings.
|This page describes support for VST (Virtual Studio Technology) effect plug-ins in Audacity; VST instrument plug-ins that generate audio are not supported. A list of VST effects known to process correctly in Audacity on Windows is given here.
VST support in Audacity
VST effects are displayed with full GUI interface (where provided by the plug-in), and without need of the VST Enabler. This has been made possible by use of an open source VST header.
For instructions on how to load new VST effects into Audacity please see this page in the Manual.
Installing VST plug-ins in Audacity
The process and file location is different for each operating system. See the following pages in the Audacity Manual:
- Installing VST plug-ins on Windows
- Installing VST plug-ins on Mac
- install Installing VST plug-ins on Linux
List of functional VST Plug-ins
|Instructions for adding plug-ins to the list:
- The majority of plug-ins will be for Windows only unless OS 9 or OS X is stated.
- Classic Mac OS plug-ins will only work under OS 9 and previous. Mac OS X plug-ins with a .component file marked as "PowerPC" will only work on PPC Macs (they might work on Intel Macs with slow performance under Rosetta but Rosetta cannot be used on OS X 10.7 or later).
- Antares AutoTune Evo - Mostly works with current Audacity. Automatic pitch correction works, but to be able to draw pitch curves clock must be set to "internal" and not "host". (commercial)
- Antress Modern Plug-ins including a number of compressors, a limiter, an expander, an exciter and a "spacer" which could be used for creating "fake stereo"
- ANWIDA Soft DX Reverb Light.dll for Windows and Mac (PowerPC only)
- Bo Johansen Plug-ins
- Bluecat Plug-ins
- bs2b.dll stereo to binaural
- Buzzroom CL 201 (Vintage Maximiser) - now shareware
- Gale 18Nov15: The Classic plugins below are discontinued. The links were pointing to Brothersoft which is a dubious site and now point to VST4free which is much less bad. Also you can get the complete bundle from http://acoustica1.cachefly.net/other/Classic-Effects-Installer.exe. The installer puts the plugins in %PROGRAMFILES%\VST where (according to the Manual and VSTEffect.cpp) Audacity should not see them unless a registry key or VST_PATH environment variable points there. But Audacity does see them (on Win 10).
Also I note that we don't list his endorphin plug-in, is there any reason for this omission?
- Gale 17Nov15: Any other plugins are not listed because presumably no-one tested them. Yes, show a landing page with detail for the plugin if there is one. But if we have a table like I suggest we can link to the publisher and the plugin in a less confusing way.
- Peter 17Nov15: Ok I added a link to endorphin - btw how many of the others in this long list (let alone the list of those without links) have actually been tested if ever let alone on current and alpha Audacity: ;-)
- Gale 18Nov15: We can assume those listed (linked or unlinked) were tested somewhere back in the Audacity 1.2 days. We should add a div at the top that this is therefore an indicative list only and we welcome anyone updating the list or writing to [email protected] with updates.
- digitalfishphones plug-ins
- dominion v1.2.dll - a tool to shape the envelope of a signal, giving you total control of the signal's attack & sustain phase
- endorphin - dual-band stereo compressor
- Fish fillets package
- BLOCKFISH - compressor for Windows and OS X (PPC only)
- FLOORFISH.dll - expander/noise gate for
- SPITFISH.dll - de-esser for Windows and OS X (PPC only)
- normalizer.dll - a denormalization tool
- THD.dll - analog-style saturator
- DtBlkFx (FFT-based frequency and harmonics manipulation). Also supports OS X (Universal binary) but only Windows version tested.
- Extra Boy Pro removal and isolation of audio components (commercial, paid for)
- EZmix (commercial, time limited demo available). Also supports OS X but only Windows version tested.
- Freeverb Plug-ins
- GMulti Multi-band compressor
- iZotope vinyl for Windows and OS X
- JS plug-in pack - contains plug-ins listed below.
- JS 6 equalizer V1.0.dll
- JS Band Cut V1.0.dll
- JS Compresseur V1.1.dll
- JS Disto V1.0.dll
- JS equalizer V1.0.dll
- Humanizer v1.0.dll
- JS Limiteur V1.0.dll
- JS Magneto V1.1.dll
- JS Mini-sample V1.0.dll
- JS Noise Attenu V1.0 .dll
- JS Noise Filtre V1.0.dll
- JS Oscil resonne V2.0 .dll
- JS Oscil resonne V3.0.dll
- JS PanDelay .dll
- JS Resonnateur V1.0.dll
- JS Vibrato V1.0.dll
- jVSTwRapper-based plug-ins (on Windows, Mac OSX PPC/Intel and Linux).
- jVSTwRapper is a way of writing Java plug-ins using VST-based technology, enclosed in a wrapper that makes them compatible for use in VST, Audio Units and LADSPA hosts. Thus jVSTwRapper plug-ins can be run on all three platforms.
- Lisp level-independent sibilance processor
- Smartelectronix Plug-ins
- Ambience - reverb plug-in for Windows, OS 9/X (PPC only)
- mda Bandisto.dll
- mda BeatBox.dll
- mda Combo.dll
- mda De-ess.dll
- mda Degrade.dll
- mda Delay.dll
- mda Detune.dll
- mda Dither.dll
- mda DubDelay.dll
- mda Dynamics.dll
- mda Envelope.dll
- mda Image.dll
- mda Leslie.dll
- mda Limiter.dll
- mda Loudness.dll
- MjCompressor.dll for Windows and OS X Windows version only has a tabular interface even in Audacity 1.3.8+
- mda MultiBand.dll
- mda Overdrive.dll
- mda RePsycho!.dll
- mda RezFilter.dll
- mda RingMod.dll
- mda RoundPan.dll
- mda Shepard.dll
- mda Splitter.dll
- mda Stereo.dll
- mda SubSynth.dll
- mda Talkbox.dll
- mda ThruZero.dll
- mda Tracker.dll
- mda VocInput.dll
- mda Vocoder.dll
- REFLEX free - a regenerating delay plug-in, a mixture of stereo delays followed by a dense
- Robotizer for Windows and Mac OS X (PPC only)
- TAL-Reverb-2 - popular GPL licensed plate reverb
- TB Compressor (working demo) in Tone Boosters plug-in bundle - supports "New York" or "parallel" compression
- UpStereo.dll - stereo widener
- UpStereo for OS X (not tested)
- VOX_DoctorDemo.dll - De-Esser
- Voxengo - free VST plug-ins from Voxengo
- Gale: I expect many of these links can be added. For example see http://www.voxengo.com/group/free-vst-plugins/.
- Peter 16Nov15: I'm sorry but there are 245 of these listed without links and I really have neither the time nor the inclination to research all of these - some of which may well be hosted on dubious sites of the type I don't care to explore. My suggestion is that we hive this off to a separate page linked to from here as this would have the benefit of shotening this very long page. This does not prevent motivataed folk in the future moving items on that page for which they find links to this page.
- Gale 17Nov15: I agree there are a lot there. But I see no value in hiving them off. They were put here because they were known (at the time) to work. So they can legitimately go in the proposed table, but with no link.
- Peter 17Nov15: Were they really "known to work", were they tested? That would have been - and remains - a labour of love. They look more as though they were just dumped here, certainly whoever placed them there didn't even take the trouble to add links for them - let alone a bit of descriptive text. I worry, as our listing seems to imply a sort of Audacity endorsement.
- Gale 18Nov15: Not "just dumped". I strongly believe tested (in 1.2) but adding links would have been extra work.
Big Tick Dual Delay.dll
Big Tick Hexaline.dll
dfx Buffer Override mono.dll
dfx Buffer Override stereo.dll
FEILEI Surround Echo.dll
FEILEI Surround Encode.dll
FEILEI Surround Pan.dll
Fruity 7band EQ.dll
Fruity bass boost.dll
Fruity blood overdrive.dll
dBlue Glitch - requires Audacity 1.3.9 or later; random probability feature does not work in Audacity 2.0.2
Morphing Delay 2.1 Demo.dll
Saturator.dll - analog tape saturation emulator for added "warmth"
sc 04 sec Stereo Delay.dll
sc Multi Delay.dll
sc Multi Tap Delay.dll
sc Stereo Panner.dll
SH-1 Graphic EQ.dll
SH-1 LFO Multi.dll
Silverspike Reverb-it Demo.dll
Telephone.dll - simple, very realistic telephone audio simulator.
List of Plug-ins with known problems
|Instructions for adding VST effect plug-ins to the list:|
- JS plug-ins
- MDA VST's
|Auto-Tune||Windows||Dec.2012||Audacity 2.0.1||Tuning by MIDI input is not supported.|
|BlueCat||OS X||Sep.2014||Audacity 2.0.5, 2.0.6||In 2.0.5, the plug-in interface does not work, so you can only use default settings. The interface works in 2.0.6, but in both versions, saving a preset will lock out the main Audacity window, requiring to close Audacity from the Dock.|
|CM Vocoder||Windows/OS X||Sep.08||Audacity 1.3.8+||Does not appear|
|Effect Chainer DX and VST wrapper||Windows||Jan.08||All||can't host any plug-ins|
|FFX-4 DX and VST Wrapper||Windows||Jan.08||All||can't host any plug-ins|
|Freeverb2||Windows 7||Oct.11||Audacity 1.3.13||Only tabular interface, no preset support|
|GRM Tools||OS X||May 2014||Audacity 2.0.6-alpha||Interface cannot be used (so the effects can only be used at default settings) or interface disappears completely when loading preset. The interface is likely to be available in 2.0.6 release, but attempting to save a preset in any Audacity version could lock out the main Audacity window.|
|GRM Tools||Windows||Sep.08||Audacity 1.3.8+||unspecified|
|GSnap||Windows||Jan.2014||Audacity 2.0.6||Tuning by MIDI input is not supported.|
|keFIR||Windows||Apr.08||VST-Bridge 1.1||has no effect on audio|
|kn0ck0ut||Windows||Sep.2014||Audacity 2.0.6-alpha||Despite Audacity 2.0.6 or later supporting buffer delay compensation, the start of the processed audio has silence inserted and a corresponding length is removed from the end of the processed audio. This also occurs in Goldwave and Wavosaur so is probably a bug in Kn0ck0ut, but the VST version is no longer being developed, only an LV2 version.|
|Sonic Maximizer||Windows||Sep.2007||VST-Bridge 1.1||not in Effect menu|
|SoundSoap2 (discontinued) (see also SoundSoap3)||Windows, OS X||2007 (various)||All||Audacity won't launch|
|Spectro||Windows||Nov.2014||2.0.7-alpha||No spectrum visible in plug-in window|
|String Studio||Windows||2007 (various)||VST-Bridge 1.1||Audacity won't launch|
|T RackS 3||OS X||Dec.2009||All||Audacity won't launch|
|VisualVOX VST||Windows||Jan.2008||VST-Bridge 1.1||No interface, just silences audio|
|Waves V5||Windows||Dec.2012||Audacity 2.0.2||Hangs Audacity on launch|
|Waves V8||OS X||Feb.2013||Audacity 2.0.3||Only tabular interface. Two entries (m) and (s) for each effect. GarageBand does not have either problem.(1)|
- (1) Audio Unit versions of Waves may cause Audacity 2.0.4 or earlier to freeze or crash on launch. In 2.0.5 or later, Waves Audio Units may cause a freeze or crash when the effect is chosen from the Effect Menu.